3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoulder Tendonitis  (Read 546 times)

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
Shoulder Tendonitis
« on: January 13, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
Yesterday I was diagnosed with Rotatorcuff Tendonitis in my left shoulder. I am right handed. I am taking anti inflamatory pills and will probably not shoot my bow for a couple of weeks. I would like to hear from fellow trade members if they have had problems with tendonitis and what measures they took to get rid of it and keep it from coming back. I don't want ot be one of those guys that say "I use to shoot traditional but my shoulders are bad"
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoulder Tendonitis
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
Because I just found I have the same problem, rotator cuff problems in my bow arm shoulder (right in my case as I shoot LH) any good thoughts would be appreciated.  At the moment the Dr. says Physical Therapy but anything archery specific would be appreciated.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
I would advise erring on the side of caution.  You may not be shooting for longer than two weeks and you may have to go down to a light target bow for a while until you heal.  What ever you do, if it hurts....stop.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Stringdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
Who diagnosed you injury? Go see a good orthopedic Doctor before anything. I was seen by three doctors a few months back who said I had a Rotator problem only to find out it was a bad disc in my neck causing the problem. Good Luck.
" FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW "

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
I had the same thing real bad.The doctor wanted to go in and clean it up.I went to Physical Therapy instead and was shooting in 3 weeks.You can work it out with therapy if you can take the pain.A little pain and work is a lot better than surgury,heal time and still doing the therapy in the end.  :D

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
NOT BE SHOOTING IN 3 WEEKS!!!  OH NO  I'll guess I'll have to sit in a chair and use my foot on the riser and pull my bow back with my right arm like Byron Furgeson does in his trick shooting.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
that will work  :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
Unless the cuff is torn or badly damaged where surgery is required, physical therapy is the answer.

Surgery: you will be OK but never 100%. Will take a good 3 months of dedicated rehab to get back to good shooting form and weight.

Not all physical therapy is the same. Some places use different methods of strenthening the shoulder. I had rotar cuff problems from years of throwing a baseball....I used a 1 lb weight and performed different movements to increase the range of motion PLUS I gave the shoulder plenty of time to rest up and heal.

Surgery was prevented. Find a good therapist who will work with you and if you follow the right treatments you should be fine. Tendonitis...had it in my elbow....2 very painful Cortisone shots solved that problem...Good luck......
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
Back in early October I was diagnosed with "Impingement Syndrome" which is a rotator cuff injury. I spent over a month and a half going to physical therapy three times a week. While my shoulder DID get stronger, the pain was still present. The problem was in my right shoulder and I am right handed, so shooting a bow didn't cause me any pain at all.

The same as Joe Skipp, the injury came from throwing a baseball.....mainly curve balls from the time I was about 10 years old up until about the age of 18. Everytime I watch the "Little League World Series" and see how those young'uns can bend those balls.......I CRINGE......because I know the damage that is being done.

Anyways.....the last trip to my family doctor, he asked me how the shoulder pain was. I told him that I thought I was pouring money in a hole and that the physical therapy wasn't helping with the pain. It was so bad that I couldn't sleep on my right side at all at night, and he suggested a cortisone shot, said it might work, and might not.

While I wouldn't get in line to go get another one of those shots, after about two weeks now, I can sleep on it, and the inflammation seems to have subsided quite a bit. Hopefully, if this one shot doesn't quite do the trick.....one more should take care of it.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline B-DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
i have the same problem. i had a shot of cortizone back in august. no pain for a while but it is coming back. it does help a lot if i do my stretches that the  phyical therapist showed me. i only shot 45# now and this seems to help. my physical theropist is a bow hunter. she was very knowlagable of the pain i was tring to explain.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
Diagnosis is important, as stated above. I have had similar problems, and therapy worked. Also, Ice 20 min. 20 min off and Ice 20 min. at least once a day. I did not shoot for several months. The "T" does not just get better over night and reinjury is a possibility. It can be a long slow process. DO NOT RUSH OUT TO SHOOT WHEN IT STARTS FEELING BETTER. There are exercises for the shoulder that will help once you get over the "T".
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
I can relate to this, had the same problem late in 2008, hurt so bad could hardly pull bow back. Went to orthopedic surgeon thinking the worst, he suggested a series of cortisone shots and exercises, turned out I didn't need surgery.  I had 3 cortisone shots over a 5 month period, during this time I did my exercises at least 3 times a week. I shoot almost daily now and there is no pain when shooting.
  Beware of the guys who want to cut on you.

R.W.
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
Two years ago zI finally went into the Doc to have my right shoulder looked at. I had pain if I raised my hand over my head, and shooting was painful as well. I had Impingement Syndrome, which is caused by a swollen bursa and a bone spur in my shoulder. I had a couple of cortizone injections, which provided immediate although temporary relief. My last shot was to get me through an elk hunt, and it only lasted a few days.

When I returned, I scheduled the surgery. He removed the bone spur, and repaired a SLAP tear to the rotator cuff.( Fraying of the mucscle fibers from the spur rubbing across them). Fortunately, I did not have a torn rotator cuff, but he told if I had waited longer, eventually I would have.

The surgery sucked, I couldnt hardly button my pants for the first 2 weeks. But the Doc told me I'd be good to go in 8 weeks.

While he said I probably wouldnt need Physical Therapy, I pushed him for it, and I did 4 weeks 3 days a week. Those PT girls kicked my butt.
I followed the exercise regimen to the letter, and was shooting a light weight bow in 4 weeks, and was back up to my hunting bow in 8 weeks.

I was cleared back to work in 59 days. My shoulder is 100% now. Never would know i had it done by the way it feels. If you have impingement,surgery is the only way to fix it if its a bone spur. Do some research, and find the best orthopedic surgeon you can who specializes in shoulders. I did not take the decision for surgery lightly, but in the end I am glad I had it dome. To say with surgery you'll never be 100% afterwards is not true. I put up with pain, no being able to play catch with my kids, shooting hurt, I couldnt sleep, and it was miserable.

Do not wait until the impingement causes more damage, as a rotator cuff tear takes 3-4 months to recover from after surgery.

Finkm1, I see you are in MIchigan. I sent you a PM.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
Here's my remedy. However weird it is, it has worked for me. Years ago I couldn't even sleep on my shoulders, cause when I woke up, they would hurt for hours because of tendonitus. Went for therapy...ice, and ultra sound, didn't work very well. One night I was playing hockey and I fell forward. I brought both arms up to cushion the fall and wrenched both upward. When I stood up, I couldn't move either arm and skated off the ice.
Day by day...whatever happened in my shoulders, the pain faded, until completely gone. I must have torn the scar tissue, or did something, but I've been pain free for at least 4 years now.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
I have the problem but am currently just bearing it and taking a few days off when it gets bad.  I shoot light bows anyway, so that helps.   I'm planning on a PT consultation soon, though.   Hoping to get through this summer before getting down and serious about it.  At my age, it's just one of an assortment of aches and pains and at this time, not the worst of them  8^)
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
Got it in both shoulders with the right one being the worst.  Had the shot in the right one and it did not help.  Been going to PT now for two weeks with little signs of relief.  Wife had it in both of her shoulders about 2 years ago and it took a year to clear up.  I wake up at night with a burning pain going down the arm on the side that I fell asleep on.

Glad this was posted.  Was hoping to aread the "majic" cure.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
Rest and more rest. I have had both shoulders cleaned up in the last 2 years. I still shoot but it is hard for me to hunt big game with my traditional gear now as I have to shoot a lot to stay good and if I do my shoulders hurt bad. Chondrotin and glucosomen(sp?) may help as well as seein advise. g a good physical therapist for their advise! Shawn
Shawn

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 05:53:00 AM »
This course is well worth the money...

http://www.rotatorcufftraining.com/

My rotator cuff was totally wrecked last February, i couldn't even lift a cup of tea with my right arm, let alone shoot a bow.  This course repaired it without any need for surgery.

It teaches everything you need to know about shoulder health and has lots of weight training and stretching exercises.  All in all, a brilliant course.  Especially for us middle aged getting older types whose shoulder joints are starting to feel the wear and tear of life.

I'm now a huge believer in an all round shoulder health program.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline JOKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 06:34:00 AM »
I have the same problem in my left (bow arm)sholder. It has been going on for almost two years now. It takes me months of not shooting the bow for it to go away but comes back real easy if I am not careful. Steve

Offline easyup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
Do your PT!  It works for me, I am religious about it and am now 100%.  My doc trusted me to do it on my own and I pushed and made the time.  Feels wonderful to use that arm.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©