3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Soon to be newbie - couple questions  (Read 594 times)

Offline mfh

• Trad Bowhunter
Soon to be newbie - couple questions
« on: April 15, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
Hello - I am the soon to be lucky new owner of a Black Douglas Ultra, with Hex IV limbs - 60" at 55lbs@28".  I am new to traditional, having been a compound hunter for a while.  CQC10 - can't wait to get the bow

My questions is what arrows do you guys recommend with this set us.  I draw 28", so I suspect 30" arrows will be best, and I would like to shoot carbons.  I will primarily be hunting whitetail, and will use 125g broadheads (probably Magnus of some sort).  Any advice on arrows will be great.

Also, any other recommendations on other essentials that you can recommend would be great.  I am a firm believer in learning by listening to what others have already done, and that has saved me a lot of money over the years...a quiver is one thing I know I need to research.

Thanks and I look forward to being a Border shooter!

Offline BowsnLabs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Soon to be newbie - couple questions
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
I like the Beman MFX Classics.  If you are wanting to shoot 125gr broadheads at your weight, you may want to start with the 400's.  You'll have to find out which combination tunes best for your shooting style and setup though.  You can also get a 100gr insert for these that will put you at 225gr total point weight with a standard 125gr point.  When your tuning, start with a full length arrow and cut from the nock end during bareshafting.  This is the best way for tuning carbons IMO.  Don't be afraid to shoot them longer if necessary.  

I shoot a lighter setup than you, so maybe someone who shoots closer to your weight will chime in.  Welcome and good luck with the new bow - lots of good info on this sight for someone new.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
Welcome.

I have a couple comments for you. First, your 55 pound bow is going to seem pretty heavy to you after shooting a compound. The technique for shooting traditional bows is quite different from compounds. Read all you can here and from books. Asbell has a good one on instinctive shooting with a recurve.

I also draw 28 inches, and find 29 inch arrows are just fine. You may not draw as much with a recurve as you did with your compound, most people don't. When I shoot carbon it has been 4560 Carbon Express Terminator Hunters with 125 gr. snuffers. I killed my first deer with that setup and my 55# longbow last fall, but I wasn't totally happy with the arrow flight. I ended up with 100 gr. inserts and the 125 gr. heads. Those go where I'm looking most of the time. That setup would probably work for you.

Just FYI, I am switching over to wood arrows. I find them much more forgiving, quieter, and addictive to build. I shoot the cedars better than I do carbons or aluminums. I plan to test them out on turkeys this week.

As far as quivers go, I use a side quiver like this one  http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=14&s=74&p=0&i=6251

I just don't like the extra weight of a bow quiver, but that is personal preference.

Good luck with your new bow.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Brutus Hedgeapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
mfh, If you're new to this, my best advice is to get a lower weight bow and learn form and anchor and such. I jumped into trad archery several years ago thinkin that if I could easily shoot a 78# compound, a 60# longbow would be no problem. Well I was wrong. I wish I would have started out with a 45# bow and then moved up.
 As far as arrows go, I only shoot woodies. Don't know about carbons.

Good Luck,
 Brutus

Offline just a bit outside

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
I'll tell you from experience having shot the Border Black Douglas recurve, Gold Tip 3555's shot like laser guided missles out of that bow. My buddy has taken plenty of deer with that bow and those arrows. It is pretty much all he will use. The 30 inch arrows are the perfect lenght for that spine and that bow. The Gold Tips will last FOREVER too. My buddy has had a set for years.

Hope you enjoy it because you went straight to the top of the line with that bow. Guess you didn't want to start with something simple to beat around with, you went straight to the top! I hope you like it... and if you don't, I'll buy it from you!!

Greg
(I shoot a Zipper and both the Gold Tip 3555's and the Carbon Express Predator 2000's are great arrows that really zing.)
We should have shotguns for this kind of deal.

Jeff Carter Southern Draw 64" Hybrid LB 43@28/48@28
Zipper SXT Recurve/LB 58" 47@27

Offline just a bit outside

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
Oh yeah, I'd go with 100 grain inserts and 125 grain points. Those will fly straight for ya.
We should have shotguns for this kind of deal.

Jeff Carter Southern Draw 64" Hybrid LB 43@28/48@28
Zipper SXT Recurve/LB 58" 47@27

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
I'm not sure whether i agree with starting out with to light of bow...i just got started myself a couple months ago with a 45# Ben Pearson recurve..... since then i've built my own long bow at 55-60# draw weight....i found the heavier poundage much easier to shoot consistantly than the lighter poundage bow....maybe its forcing me to have a consistant push pull release...i don't know for sure.....but it sure shoots better than the light weight did.....Welcome to the Trad side bro! I haven't had this much fun in years!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:   Kirk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©