3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SBD hit The Netherlands! Update: first impression!  (Read 174 times)

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
SBD hit The Netherlands! Update: first impression!
« on: January 13, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
Hi Guys,

Januari the 6th I ordered a SBD Bowstring and the Mailman delivered it Januari the 11th! Thats FAST! (frankly speeking: I hadn't expected anything else from worlds fastest string manufacturer...    :cool:   )
The good thing is, after mailing the specifcations of my bow and Paypalling the money, Pierre and Jean-Pierre decided to send me an ULTRA 6 strands string, because my drawweight is only 38 lbs.  You can see it and read all about it here:     http://www.acsbows.com/id113.html    

It sells for $24,- But they decided to deliver it to me for the $17 I paid. That's what I call service!

The string looks great, and the fitting of my GT nocks is very precise (they are not tight at all and don't fall off) while the serving is thick enough for not to hurt my fingers.
I kept my bow strung for a 24 hours and I mentioned a creep of apr. 1/8 inch. Well, I first have to shoot it, then I can say more about creep and speed.

The bad part is, I wasn't able to shoot it yet, because we are having the most severe winter ever in The Netherlands. The range where I practice, has a downhill road which is frozen. You always get down, but getting up again is the problem now     :readit:      and I will also try to chrono the results. The last can take a while, bacause I don't own a chrono myself
I am sure that when this string is as good as it looks and I read on this forum, it will find its way to the Netherlands for many archerers to come!

Thanks for a great service!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: SBD hit The Netherlands! Update: first impression!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
They are good guys, I just ordered two more, one for me and one for my son's bow.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
I love my string! Really quieted down my BW.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 02:43:00 AM »
Well, since I am into 3D archery only (bowhunting is forbidden in The Netherlands)I did not buy the string for quiting down, but for gain in speed. But I must admit, I like a quiet bow though...
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Well, today the weather was "good" enough to get out and test the string.

I used my " good old" POC's which bring appr. 12GPP on the scale and my relatively new Goldtip Traditionals carbon arrows which weigh less: 10.8 GPP. My arrows are bareshafted to perfection till 27 yards (25 meters)

Since I have to shoot wood coming sunday at a tournament (no other materials allowed) I wanted to train with wood, to get the feeling back (I shot last weeks carbon only). Ofcourse I also shot a few carbons....

Again: a great fit on the GT nocks. Eve the nocks of my Cedar arrows fit great! After 50 arrows I tested the brace height and it was still on the same height. I measured it each time after some shots, but no creep or what so ever. I totally shot for two hours and it were many arrows, but I found no creep at all.

Silent? Yes, it sounds like you've got your beaver puffs on it (and they are NOT).

Fast? A little bit more difficult to answer, since I had no chrono with me, However, I think my bow was a little bit or even more faster, but no giant jump here. At least, I think.... I definitely have to measure this with a good chrono, can't wait.... I had the impression my arrows went a lot deeper in the target then they did with my standard FF string....

Some more positive points: it looked liked I was shooting with greater accuracy, I did some outstanding grouping at 30 yards, fletching and woods hitting each other....

I also took a 3D animal with me: a standing woodchuck from aprr. 23 bij 8 by 8 inches, which is very difficult to hit, since it is so skinny. As the manufacturer states: "This woodchuck frightens many archers taking part in a tournament. Only an exact shot guarantees to hit the target precisely" And they are right!                   http://www.bogensport-bodnik.de/shop_gb/shopgb.html.                   (link doesn't work but I managed to place a pick here!)

At 25 yards I shot 3 from the 3 arrows right in it, from which 2 in the kill (and even 1 in the small kill)! Spoken about deadly......

It might have been the string or maybe I just had a good day.... I have to check this out also the coming days... I know for sure, at this distance I never was able to put all three arrows in this little fella! However, this was with carbon arrows.

Are there any downsides on this string?
Alas, yes.....
I noticed the string generated much more handschock then my old FF 16 strands string. With my FF string, my bow is dead quiet in the hand, but the Ultra SBD string seems to cause some vibrations after the release and in some cases a handshock. I started with my SBD string on exactly the same brace-height as my old FF string. At 6 3/4 inch my bow was always dead- quiet. Ofcourse I changed brace-height in order trying to make it less, but within the specifications of the manufacturer of my bow, I couldn't find a brace-height which delivered less handschock.

With my carbons, which are 1 GPP less in weight, the handschock seemed less pronounced. This is strange, bacause my woodies are heavier: a 12 GPP against 10.8 GPP.

Well this deserves further investigations. I must make a closer comparisation between the two strings in this aspect. Perhaps I fooled myself because I was paying a LOT of attention how this Ultra string would behave.

However I must say that I am looking forward for shooting a 3D tournament with this SBD Ultra string coming Sunday, if there aren't any blizzards and the temperature stays above -10 degrees Celcius..

..... to be continued ....
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline KumaSan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
A friend of mine just received one to try, which I believe is an 8 strand. He has shot it from his Black Widow PSAX, and reports it to be very fast and quiet. He will chrono as soon as the weather clears for us in Central Pennsylvania.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©