3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: who does d.i.y. hunts in colorado?  (Read 575 times)

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
who does d.i.y. hunts in colorado?
« on: January 13, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
i m going to do a do it yourself hunt in 2011 or 12 and i want to start looking for a place now.  from what i understand you can buy license and tags over the counter there.(for elk).  any info will be great
thanks   Dustin Parker
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: who does d.i.y. hunts in colorado?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
If you are going to do it a few yrs down the road, I would recommend you get yourself a preference point or two.  Even a 1 point unit is a less crowded hunt than an OTC unit.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Conner Parry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
I have been doing DIY hunts in the high country here in Utah for a while. We don't have the Elk numbers like colorado but I would be willing to help you out if you came this direction.
Shoot Straight

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
I've hunted CO the last two years DIY.  It's a ton of fun.

I'll help you out as much as possible.  Other than my hunting spots, what questions do you have?   :)

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
Most of the Game Management Units (GMUs) are over the counter (unlimited), but a number of them are draw only.  Some of the limited units only require a couple of preference points, while the better ones are up to 12-14 points.  If you haven't already accumulated a good number of points, you probably won't ever draw one of the better ones by now, as they get more popular every year.

That said, there are a lot of elk in the OTC units, you just have to find them!  Colorado has a good website where you can look up individual GMUs and get harvest statistics from previous seasons as well as get pretty good ideas of where elk ranges and concentrations are, but the best way to start if you haven't ever been there would probably be to call one of the biologists once you narrow your search down to a general area.  The field office numbers are listed on the DOW website.

You'll hear this a lot, but the best advice is to get in shape and start early (like now!)

Here's the link to the DOW website;

http://wildlife.state.co.us

To get to the GMU maps, click "maps" on the blue border at the top of the home page, then look for the "MapIt! interactive maps" link about 1/3 of the way down the page.  It takes a while to learn, but there's a lot of good info available there.

Be warned though, elk hunting is very addicting, which a lot of folks here will attest to!  I'll be going back for my 3rd time this fall.  I wish I had started 20 years ago!

By the way, the deadline for entering the draw or getting a preference point is usually aroung the 3rd-4th of April.  You can get a preference point without actually entering the draw.  They'll charge you for the cost of a NR cow tag ($251 on 2009) and refund all but a small handling fee.

You'll get lots more info as more folks post here.  Good luck!

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
well rappstar,  just i need to know just about everything(except your spots ofcourse). im pretty green with that stuuf
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
thanks recurve shooter.  i have already started working out.good thing i am not in that bad shapre

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
beaver - sending pm

Offline Conner Parry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
I know this sounds simple. But in most western states all you need is a good map and to be in excellent shape and the hunting comes with many options. Anything that is remotely a difficult hike will get you away from the crowds and into country with animals. Good luck to you.
Shoot Straight

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Planning my first trip right now for Sept 2010!
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
Since you are actually talking about next year, plan a late summer scouting trip for this year if you can swing it.  Pick out several areas from your maps, then actually check them out on the ground.  Some of the areas you may want to go back to and hunt, while you may be able to cross others off the list.  Either way, you'll gain a lot of first hand knowledge of the areas that no topo map can give you.  

I'm far away like you, and although I haven't been able to do that yet, I hope get out there at least a week early this year, mainly to let my 500 foot Georgia lungs get used to 10,000 foot Colorado air!

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
recurve_shooter said it correctly when he said it is addictive. I made my first trip to Colorado in 1965 and have went back every year since. If thats not being an addict,I'm puzzled on what it would be. Just go, you will love it.

There are a lot of elk there so almost any high country unit will have them. That doesn't mean you will find one behind every tree, you will have to work hard. Getting to know the area you are hunting is more than half the battle. You do not have to backpack umpteen miles back in a wilderness area either. Pick a unit and study topo maps. They stay mostly in drainages. Early in the season, elk like north facing slopes because of the heat and they love the dark spruce to spend the day in.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
Bring a great small camera. Learn some Spanish. You won't be disappointed you did.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Best advice is get in the best shape of your life, it will make the hunt much more enjoyable

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Learn some Spanish?
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
Went on a Trad Hunt for Elk sponsoring returning Veterans last year in Colorado State Forrest State Park. It was opening weekend. Saw lots of critters and covered alot of Country. There are other public hunting areas near by also. PM me if you have any questions. It was a low cost trip. $1200 included either sex tag,airfare,car,food and lodging. Alot of fun!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Morning Star:
Learn some Spanish?
My guess is because most sheepherders speak spanish, although its very broken.

Here a really good tip if your hunting free range county around sheepherders.  Give a big wave, walk up to them say "ola" hand them a 5th of cheap whiskey pull out a map and ask were are the elk.  They will point them out for you, these guys live in the mountains for months, they know where the critters are at.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
good tip l82hunt

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Morning Star:
Learn some Spanish?
Sheepherders and others. From Peru, Chile, Mexico and Bolivia. You know, being friendly and learning a little about anothers culture is a great way to make friends and in this case... find elk. OR
 your truck breaks down and the guys that pull up to help are latino... and a good chance they will be, a simple Hola and a couple other words and you are back in business.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
When you go to hunt, get to your hunting area 3 days early so you can aclimatize to the altitude.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©