3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ground hunting help  (Read 556 times)

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
ground hunting help
« on: January 13, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
A sore back will keep me from climbing this Saturday so I will be in a treeseat on the ground.I'm not confident in this so I need some advise from you groundpounders. Also some pics of your set ups would help. I probably wont be building any blinds just using natural cover such as blowdowns.Any other advice? Thanks,Bucky.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ground hunting help
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
be sure to have a good back drop.  be very still.  i hardly ever make a blind. i like to set up on trails where they have to walk past me.  i you have never hunted off the ground get ready for a rush if  one gets close.
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Bucky - I've killed most of my deer with both bow and gun from the ground. It is WAY more simple than the tree stand mfrs would have you believe.

#1 - wind in your face (or at least not blowing toward the deer's location)

#2 - broken outlines (brush behind you is more important than in front, both is better)

#3 - even less movement than in a tree stand (that's where the biggest advantage is IMO)

#4 - no eye contact with the deer (maybe it's me, but I think they sense that somehow)

#5 - pick a spot (I forgot this one in October!)

#6, 7, 8 - Have fun, gut deer, eat backstraps!

Offline saywhat?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
Let them pass before shooting.  I learned that lesson (again) recently.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
Pick a tree wider than you are to lean your back against...it will keep you hidden...sit as still as possible. Sweep your eyes side to side frequesntly...your head not so much. Keep the wind in your favor ...good luck

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
Get one of the army booney hats and stick some vegetation around the brim.  Breaks up the round dome predator look our heads give.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
shaggy suit.  Keep movement to a minumum.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
i usually try to find a blow down and sit in the top.But  if the wind is in your favor and your still your chances are pretty good
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 02:59:00 AM »
Ditto to all the above, with addition. Your bow it's self can be games biggest clue your there. Use a bow sock and keep the bow as close to full draw position as comfortable. Draw with as little side to side motion as possible. Most herbivores have poor depth perception but can easily pick up motion from side to side.

Stick to passive hunting using natural cover till you get the hang of it....then get really sneaky!
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 07:00:00 AM »
Good advise above. It's like picking a treestand site only with more options.  Another option might be to stillhunt (slow slow slow).  

This time of year, I see fewer deer moving around of their own volition so I get the impression that going to them seems to be the way to play.  If nothing else, you get some late season scouting in and perhaps some additional notions of where to set up next fall.

Offline sj_lutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
If you're going to be sitting, a piece of something between your 3rd point of contact and what you'll be sitting on is nice to have.  Could be as simple as a piece of plastic, or a store bought foam thing.  

Clear out any branches / leaves / whatever that are in your immediate area.  Noise is defiantly something you want to avoid.  Before you settle in, draw from as many angles you can think of, that'll show you what needs to be removed.  A pair of pruning clippers make this process much easier.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
Can't emphasize enough to have a comfortable seat to sit in otherwise you'll be "twitching" all the time trying to get comfortable. A couple of bow hooks for your bow, clippers to clear small branches and shooting lanes, a small garden hand rake to clear the ground around your stool/chair, good face and hand camo  and you should be good to go.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
I have always hunted from the ground. If you are familiar with the area you should( if the wind cooperates) be able to find a good natural blind My 2 all time favorites were a a small horshoe shaped brushpile with a bush growing just in front of it and a leleand -type cypress that had been struck by lighting that left an open wedge on one side. other than the wind the two biggies are absolute silence and absolute stillness. A good book on this is "Voice of the Hunting Gods" by Roy Rivett.

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
*sit on the down wind side of the trail so they dont wind u

*break up ur outline

*make sure ur comfortable (the more u are the less u will fidgit and move

*absolutely DO NOT make eye contact somehow they pick it up or sense it

*wait till they pass or look away to shoot

*enjoy it close encounters on the ground are one of the greatest rushes u can get!
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
There is some great advice from everyone. The only thing I would suggest would be if still hunting spend as much time behind your optics as walking. It will amaze you on how many times you can spot a leg,horn,or other small part of an animal. Keep wind in face walk real slow. When you think your walking slow enough then slow down more and glass more. Good luck.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
Hopefully Charlie Lamb,or John3 will jump on in.   :pray:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
thanks everybody.one thing i'll be hunting some thick pines with some small hardwood openings. i could sit in the dark pines and watch the openings. anybody have any pics of their set ups? one thing i lack is confidence from the ground.i have to get over thinking you can just shoot a deer from a treestand.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »
The wind will be your biggest enemy if it is swirly.  

Make sure you wear a face mask or paint and gloves.

Check with your doctor before going because being 5 yards from deer on the ground will cause heart palpitations and shallow breathing.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »

Here you go George. This was a quick setup I used to take a spike running a ridge along the AT. As you can see you don't need much cover. Just a matter of following basic hunting rules and staying out of the "line of sight" Also I like to sit as low as I can get away with. The higher up you sit the more critical concealing movement becomes. So try to sit as low as you can and still shoot comfortably.

Good luck buddy, hopefully we'll be able to hang out again soon.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline sj_lutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
Here's a pic I took from one of my spots with my phone this year.  Unfortunately, this was the Monday AM after PA archery closed this year (was out hunting turkey; killed a bird from this same spot last year.)  

Perfect wind, it was blowing from my front directly to my rear.  This buck was a pretty decent 8pt; he crossed half again as close to me on his way in to tend a scrape just off to the right of the pic, all told he spent 10 minutes or so inside shooting range.  The woodline behind him is about 18 yards in front of me.  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©