3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever shot a diseased or animal you wouldn't eat?  (Read 996 times)

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
Ever shot a diseased or animal you wouldn't eat?
« on: January 13, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
I was reading in Guru's thread that Biggie said the hog just didn't look right so they didn't want to eat it. My brother once shot a deer with his recurve that had a large pocket of pus on it's brisket. When he was skinning it out it went all over the ground. It looked like about a quart at least. The fish and game said it was probably a snake bite.It got me wondering how many animals out there are shot but end up not being eaten because of something being wrong with them. I know there are a few out west with chronic wasting disease. Gary

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever shot a diseased or animal you wouldn't eat?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
squirls or rabbits that have worms.  and does a cotton mouth count?
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
I shot a mangy fox once, but I wasn't planning to eat him anyway.   :biglaugh:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
nothing I would eat but shot yote that had a bad case of mange. almost completely bald

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
Shot a deer once that had brain worms.  
I fed the coyotes
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
Shot a red deer hind,an when I cut her open she didn't seem to have as much blood in her as I expected.

Then I started skinning her an noticed she had light pink flesh instead of it being blood red.

She stayed there,I think she was due to die anyway.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline knd2970

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
Hi I am new to the forum but have been checking it for awile now. I shot a turkey 2 years ago that you may all find interesting.

In Oct fo 07 I was out doing some day time scouting. I came across this Jake that was trying to get away but could not. After a further look, I noticed the turmor looking things all over its head and some on it's feet. I had a tag in my pocket so decided to put it out of his misery. Not knowing what was wrong with this bird we got a-hold of the dnr. I guess this bird has the avian pox. I donated the turkey to the WDNR for study.

The jake wieght only 8 lbs had no spurs and a whopping 9.5 " beard.

Turkey Creek Longbow 48# 28"
Bear Super Mag 50#
Bear Grizzly 50#
Bear Kodiak Mag 65#

“True Old-School Woodsmanship!”

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
I saw a couple pictures of a turkey somewere that had legs that looked like that. I shot a doe once that had huge warts all over her
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
Yes, I shot an elk once that had a pus pocket onit's left foreleg. Every bit of the meat had a bad (sewer?) taste to it (what we tried), it all got thown away.  "[dntthnk]"
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 12:49:00 AM »
Last year my buddy and I killed about 500 pounds of carp.  Does that count?  We fed the coyotes and coons.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 01:00:00 AM »
I shot a buck that was in velvet that had large lumpy warts on it. Fish and Game checked it out and was interested in the disease but said the meat was OK to eat.
I had a friend who had to shoot a black bear that charged him and his son while they were duck hunting. Turned out to have a broken jaw and was starving.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 01:24:00 AM »
yes shot a whitetail Buck(in Rut) one year and upon gutting and skinning found many punture holes in Deer(from fighting) he was black and blue  and green cheaked liver and well it was green as well so Coyote food don't think he would have lived as he was in poor shape,, I allways cheak liver out make sure it has no spots and looks normal the liver will tell you as will color of meat and smell if it smells bad it probably is !  :thumbsup:
Gord

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 03:09:00 AM »
I shot a possum that charged me three times in a farm grove. It seemed like it was drunk. I banged it in the head with a shoot away blunt, which I wiped down with mud and grass and then covered the possum with a piece  metal and put a chunk of concrete on top of that. The poor thing must have been rabid.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 06:20:00 AM »
I shot a rabbit that had some sort of grub looking thing come out it's butt. I too fed the yotes. Still gives me the yucks.    :p

Another was a doe I had to come back the nest day for. It ended up being warm that night and when I found her she was bloated with flies everywhere. I tried to field dress her but the smell almost made me pass out. She stayed.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 06:36:00 AM »
I was walking along a river a few winters ago and spotted a doe bedded in the high grass on an island and she was looking at me. I kept walking a few 100 yards past her and crossed to the other side to sneak up on her. When I got about 15 yards away from where I though she was, she stood up and I zipped an arrow through her. Out into the river she jumped and died. I walked back up river to the shallow spot to cross as she was floating away. She hung up on a sandbar a 1/4 mile down river and I waded out to drag her in grabbing an ear. It came off in my hand. I grabbed a leg, dragged her up on the sand bar and the poor thing was in bad shape. Looked like the Yotes had attacked her and she swam the river to get away. Did her a favor I think and feed the Eagles
lll

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 07:02:00 AM »
One time, a corsican ram down in Texas.  He smelled worse than the average sheep, and when we caped him, found his hair pulled out in clumps and his hide & good part up the hair covered in a stinky, gritty, greasy ooze.

Both the guide & taxidermist said they had no idea what it was but both recommended against eating him or messing with the cape. Ended up doing a European and the carcass went on the burn pile.

To this day I've never seen anything like it. On the hoof and to all outward appearances before I arrowed him he looked healthy, but I wouldn't have eaten a bite of his backstraps on a bet.
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline dpowers311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 07:03:00 AM »
I shot a small buck that was wondering all over and was wobbleing. When I opened him up the lungs had golf ball size white lumps. I called the dnr Biologist and emailed pics. He said he thought it was ok but If I didn't want it don't check it in and he wanted the lungs to look at. The coyotes got it before I could do anything else.

I shot this deer on a sunday evening so the Biologist was not available until the next morning and we had a caution in our hunting guide about lung disease, and TB and to leave the deer alone.

Dave
Bryan Holley Spirit Longbow
62" 50@28
Timberhawk Falcon
62" 48#@28

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
Yep back in the mid 80's I was hunting on Fort Bragg and killed a nice 8pt that had a bullet hole in his front leg and when we peeled the hide off the glands had infection in them so it was disposed of.
Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline JMartin

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
Shot a sow with my longbow, I thought she had been sucked down by a litter....the arrow zipped through her, she fell over dead as a mackeral. The more I examined her, the more obvious it was, she was sick. I hate leaving anything for the coyotes, but I did this time.

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
My son in law killed a 8 pointer with blue tounge. DNR man said not to eat him.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©