3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Osage, I don't get it  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Osage, I don't get it
« on: January 14, 2010, 02:23:00 AM »
First of all I have never seen a bow with Osage in it in person, but the pics don't give me reason to care to see it.

What is it about Osage that makes it a beautiful bow wood?  Looks very plain to me alone.  Coupled with the right woods it surely brings out the other woods beauty, but still looks very plain to me, almost non-wood.

I have read/heard it is a very workable bow material and makes a great self bow, but as far as a beauty wood it looks just like "yella wood" to me.

Please enlighten me if you will.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage, I don't get it
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 03:44:00 AM »
If you would ever get your hands on a piece and could see the grain up close especially after it has darkened with age you would love it. Maybe not.
 It does work great but is harder than hammered hell and you have to use really sharp tools.
 I'm a woodworker and just love to work with wood but have recently started my journey as a bowyer and have fell in love with osage after working some.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Ron Haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 05:30:00 AM »
I know it is the best wood you can burn in a fireplace.  Puts out the most btu's per cord than any other wood.
Ron

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 05:55:00 AM »
It's just like anything else, just because one guy likes it doesn't mean you will.  I don't like the way osage looks either.  I like the darker woods myself but you may not like them either.  It's personal preference if you don't like it then you don't like it.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
Buckeye Trad Hunter absolutely nailed it!

Well almost..lol....

Here Buckeye let me paraphrase(fix) that for you...lol

["It's just like anything else, just because one guy likes it doesn't mean you will..... It's personal preference. If you don't like it, then you don't like it."]

If I need a stick to beat off a wounded bear or need a lever to pry a vehicle loose or if I need bang on a tree to get that rascally squirrel to move at least enough the(blind-as-a-bat) field judge can see him.... gimme a piece of hedge(Osage) but if I don't have that at hand then any one of my old self bows will do the trick, at least they did in the past.

No! I never did have to beat off a wounded bear but a wounded 3XL coon makes for a close second...lol

MHO
God bless,Mudd

PS:Buckeye, please forgive me if any of my    malarkey in any way offends you.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 07:07:00 AM »
Once osage has aged a little it takes on more of a "caramel" color as the osage darkens.  Osage has very nice characteristics for building selfbows and there is alot of history with osage.

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
Lots of wood looks pretty under glass, but that has nothing to do with it as a bow wood.  One has to remove the glass to determine if it is bow wood.

I like osage, except for burning in my fireplace...it pops too much.    

Live oak has more BTUs than osage, but I don't like burning it either.

Give me a middle of the road, well seasoned piece of white oak.

As to what it is about osage I like?  Maybe because it is solid, dependable, honest and enduring ....kinda' the same qualities I find in old friends.   :)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »
I never liked it much.  Then I got some duck and goose calls with it, and now I like it for calls.  It is really durable and stable for that.  Also they sometime burn or flame it to give it more character and bring out the grain.  That looks good.  It has a lot of cool fine iridescent grain to it, and it gets better to me when it darkens.  I have an all osage Lost Creek right now.  I got it on trade to try it out.  I still don't know about it in a bow, but it is growing on me.  I have seen a few bows with osage accents and I have liked the way they look in combination with the other woods.  I still like a lot of other woods better personally, but osage is growing on me some now.  

Here is a pic of some figured veneers.

1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline BadKarma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
It's really the properties of Osage that make it one of the best for bows. Very tough. It aint the purtiest wood, but it puts them all to shame.

When you make a selfbow, you can use osage all by itself. Any other wood you should really back it with something.

BTW, Osage makes some really nice knife scales, too.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.

May Thors Hammer ring in your favor!

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
Fresh osage is yellow.  Give a couple weeks in the sun and it turns a beautiful golden brown.  Over time it gets deeper and deeper in color.

These bows are roughly sorted by age.  The top one is 12 years old but ir was dyed a little so it might be a bit darker than natural.  The second one is about the same age.  The last selfbow is fropm 2004 and is a really cool osage that is almost burly, even though you can't see that in the pic.  The bottom one is osage in the handle of my Ancient Spirits glass bow.  You should hold one of these and see if you don't like osage  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
Some of our favorite wood for bows. We are in the process of building a Osage and walnut longbow for PBS
The grain is magnificent in it

Check out some pictures on our website
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
I have a osage PSA X with copperhead skins and when it arrived it was bright yellow.  :help:

I started leaving it out in the sun a lot and man that wood has turned into a rich light brown with a yellow tone.

Its the best looking bow i have and just as soon as i can im  going to get Bob to build me one with some cocobolo down the middle with copperheads.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
Picture do not do osage juctice IMO. I had a HH Croc at one time that was very well seasoned and the osage on the bow was one of the most beautiful woods that I have ever seen.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
If you get a chance to make a Osage self bow try it. I wouldn't say it is the nicest looking wood but it makes a nice self bow.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
I have a Northwind recurve with Osage lams. The grain patterns on those lams rivals any wood I have ever seen and as it ages it just gets better and better. Not all Osage is figured with wild grains, but when it is wow.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
I have a good friend and fellow archer that just luuuuuvs the beauty of osage in bows. I will remain tight lipped as I have in honor of my friend.
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
I would have to agree that part of its beauty is its conrast to some of the darker woods.
That being said; I like that canary yellow color better when it is new.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
I am one of those who love osage.

I started liking that wood when making selfbows.

For my specific taste, osage goes well with cocobolo, and the brown reddish strikes in it as it ages makes a rich cocobolo look even better!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
No worries Mudd I'm not one to get upset over those type of things.  I've got a pretty good sense of humor.

Don't get me wrong about the Osage, as far as it's properties go it's a great bow wood, but I don't like the way it looks.  That being said, if I made a selfbow and had the chance to use osage I would.  Then I could have an ugly bow that lasts forever.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
I personally love the look of osage when it ages.  Self bowyers are using it for its bow making properties, not its beauty same as the American Indians.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©