3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Osage, I don't get it  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Straight Shootin'

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage, I don't get it
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
Beautiful stuff especially as it ages...
USN(RET) 1977-99
SOM 2001-2019

52" Fedora Stalker
Bear K-Mag x2
Predator Velocity 60"

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." -- Fred Bear

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Frenchymanny:
Buffalo bow 'Manny special':
Osage coco

In a year from now, she will be dead gorgeous IN MY EYES   :)    :)    :)  

F-Manny
I have to say that bow right there is the one that turned the cornier for me on osage.  That combo is great.  And the back veneers really pull the whole thing off for me.  I want to see a pic of that bow in another year or two.  I could see me with a coco and osage riser on a bow.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
Zbearclaw, this is just my take on it, and since you asked I’ll try to give it a shot. Ice cream stores have many flavors, to each his own. As for bow wood, I’ll have the one that starts out shining like a new gold coin, then over time turns coffee color. Here are a few random reasons, in addition to those beautiful bow pictures, why osage grows on me. Dentures from osage allowed General Washington to chew his food, which gave him energy to lead the army that beat a World power. Families by the thousands were once raised in East Texas houses built on solid osage foundations. Rings of chartreuse softballs under hedge trees to me are as much a part of Fall as geese flying south. Picking up this arrowhead size block of osage I keep on my computer takes me right back to the time I sawed it off the end of a stave that deserved better than my bow making skills. Only my last reason is about a bent stick, but I second all the positive comments about osage as bow wood. Besides making great bows, there is just something about osage that speaks to me like no other wood. Not everyone will or needs to understand this. Guess it just comes down to that “Ginger” or “Mary Ann” debate from my generation (yes boys and girls, there once was a TV tale about castaways on an island before “Lost” came along!).  John

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
"almost non-wood"

LOL! be careful where yer standin' when you say that!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
Osage is the most naturally durable wood in the US, and is the most durable for making self bows. That's beautiful!

Osage fence posts in tests have outlasted the best chemically preserved wood of other species. 60 years and counting.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Mark in SC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
Anyone who says osage is a "plain" wood has never seen a nice piece of osage finished nicely.  It looks like you can see inside the wood, and the glow of the grain changes as you move the wood.  And then there is the Mojo factor!
What, me worry?

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Osage and copperheads....goes together like cookies and milk.

"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Capt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
I love Osage.  I have an Ed Scott Owl Bow that is Osage and sinew and is not only pretty but a great performing bow.  I made myself a self bow with Osage and I couldn't ask for a better bow.  Like someone else said it is the performance of Osage that makes it special.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by JC:
Osage and copperheads....goes together like cookies and milk.
Or wine and summer sausage!

Beautiful bow JC!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Osage...Whats not to like..

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
I had a one piece recurve with osage riser and red elm lams. Perfect hunting bow in my opinion. Sold it because the handle did not fit me. If I ever talk myself into parting with the cash for a MOAB, it will have osage.
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
I've always liked the looks of osage. However, my problem is that I've got a real soft spot for yew. Seems everytime I'm going to finally order that osage bow I've repeatedly promised myself it becomes yew by the time it reaches my house.

:bigsmyl:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline loyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2010, 05:37:00 AM »

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
Not only is it striking in a bow but it's my favorite wood to handle out a knife.  As it ages, it almost becomes transparent...tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Frank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
I can not comment on osage with or under glass.  But as a selfbow wood, it is my favorite.  Good wood and not that expensive.  I'm sure I would love yew, but I won't pay for it.

The stave.  

The osage selfbow. These are various ages L to R, newest to oldest.  The oldest bow being completed back in 1998. It looked just like the far left one when I finished it.  

As far as performance, I do believe there is no better wood for a selfbow.  You can abuse it much like hickory yet it is not as moisture sensitive.

I have made osage bows with cracks running down the limb lengthwise, yet the bow shot and performed fine.  I would not do this with any other wood, even if sinewed.

But this is just my opinion.  Other woods that I enjoy working with are; hickory, lemonwood, elm, and black locust.
Can't cheat the mountain,
Mountain got it.

Offline fixer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
Osage like most woods can be plain or not, I'v seen some very nice Osage with super color and character with almost a redish hew to the grain. Osage is good bow wood pretty or not it preforms which is the main thing IMO.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©