3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: two arrow alternatives - what would you choose?  (Read 853 times)

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
two arrow alternatives - what would you choose?
« on: January 14, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Hello again,

i have found two arrow set ups with the same shaft that fly great out of both my all-day bows:
A Bear TD HunterI 58# @my 30"
A Bob Lee Signature LB TD 59# @my 30"

As you can see the main differnce being length and the use of the regular insert with screw in weights or an 60 grain insert. My question is, what would you choose, given they fly and bareshaft both equally good.
Is the extra $ and the more fumbling with srew ins worth the higher FOC and the more grain?

Thanks for any suggestion
Regards
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: two arrow alternatives - what would you choose?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
Even though the 2 arrows are close, I would personally spend the extra $1.59 and go with the heavier, higher FOC setup.

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
i also would go with opt B im a fan of heavier arrows and a bit more FOC is always a plus.  Worth the extra cost to me
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
The difference in penetration between 12% and 17% is totally worth the cost.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
Depends on what you intend to hunt. If it's foam or whitetail deer, don't really matter.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
well, you just confirmed my intend to use opt.B.
Hopefully there´ll be some pigs on the menu soon, doesnt hurt to get a bit more penetration on those, i think.

Thanks
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
I didn't see 12% but 14.8-almost 15% vs 17%.That little bit of FOC and weight difference will help a little but it won't be a huge amount.

I am sold on the screw in point system.I can interchange field points,judos an broadheads on the same set of arrows.If I break a hunting arrow,I can take the broadhead off and install it on one of my other arrows to fill my quiver back up.

When tuning,I like to play around with different point weights and it makes me nervous to heat around the front end of carbon arrows.I know with hot melt,many do it but how many times can it be done before minute damage occurs and reaches a critical point? I don't know but I don't want to find out the hard way.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
You´re right, screw in system for points is great, but what i meant / am using is the screw in weights system of gold tip. Screw-in weights that get srewed in behind the insert inside the shaft to make the insert heavier. that is because there are no 100grain brass inserts available in germany and ordering them from the US plus customs makes em unpayable.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
My experience with heavier FOC has been very positive so I would go with the heavier head.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
Both arrows are plenty heavy so a little foc difference will amount to nothing in the real world.I would go with the one that has less parts myself. :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
B
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
Just my opinion from tuning dozens and dozens of bows and shafts. I think you may find the 350 to be too stiff spine.
John

Offline Quinn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 03:40:00 AM »
I agree. The 250 is the one for that bow.
"If you put the federal government in charge of the  Sahara Desert , in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."   ~ Milton Friedman

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 03:51:00 AM »
Cherokee scout and Quinn,

some people told me that, but Stu Millers Calculator told me 350s so i tried both. And with the heavy insert weight i wanna use the 350s definately group better while barefletching. Perhaps the Fast Flight string makes a difference? Dont know but know the groups, i thought id rely on them.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 06:20:00 AM »
heavy arrows are good for you, bad for game.  

heavy front ends make for better flying arrows, and as the testing shows that appears to be better for penetration.

i spent a lotta time testing out arrow specs with my main bow, from 10 to 12 gpp and 25% to 30% efoc.  there is no substitute for you doing your own testing.  great to listen to opinions of others, but they don't have your gear and they ain't you.

the goal was to find the right combination of weight and efoc that allowed for great flight and penetration, AND arrow trajectory at up to 25 yards that worked well with my 'gray matter bow sight'.

do some testing, see what combinations and compromises work best for you.  when you've got a winner, make up a few dozen arrows and only shoot them, nothing else.

i have arrows that weigh, balance and fly exactly the same whether tipped with field points, judos or woodsman broadheads.  those are all i bother shooting, so no matter what kinda shooting i do it's all practice for hunting.  hunting is where it's at!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 06:53:00 AM »
I would go with option "B", with a change...

Instead of the regular insert and 90grs of screw-in weight...

Just use a 100gr brass insert....you won't miss the miss the 3-5grs you'll lose, it's a simpler/tougher system...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »
May I ask someone a question please? Given I don't build arrows and my past history with arrow selection being relatively poor I need to figure out how I'm going to improve my selection process.

I have no doubts that I will not be building any arrows so what would you suggest for someone like me to be able to gather the necessary data to make the best possible selection.

The way I see it I have limited options. I'm guessing that my best one is to go to an arrowsmith and plan on spending about a week with him and bunch of money.

I'm sorry if what I'm trying to ask isn't any clearer. If I happen to think of a better way of painting the word picture I need/want to convey, I'll give another shot. Unfortunately this is the best I can do today and this attempt may have fallen short of the mark.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 06:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Guru:
I would go with option "B", with a change...

Instead of the regular insert and 90grs of screw-in weight...

Just use a 100gr brass insert....you won't miss the miss the 3-5grs you'll lose, it's a simpler/tougher system...
Guru, would want to do so, but 100gr. brass inserts arent available in Germany and when i order them from say 3Rivers it costs me more (due to customs etc.) than taking those available screw in weights, thats the whole point for using them. Oh, and of course i have to wait not so long till they are delievered.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »
Mudd,

before i started building my own arrows i also made a decision based on Stu Millers Calculator. You can come so close to what you need with it that changing front (tip) weight will most of the time give you a good outcome. At least thats what was my experience with it.

Heres the link:
 http://heilakka.com/stumiller/

You nedd Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice scalc (freeware) to run it.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 09:28:00 AM »
Thank you Axel! My computer won't even open PPS files, doesn't have either program and doesn't have enough memory left on it to do much of anything.

I know...get a different computer. Unfortunately that's not an option at this time and saving up for one hasn't been my best ever plan either because every time I get a little bit built up it seems that the wife, the house or the daughter have a better use for it...lol Confession time! I also get into it too because I see some little or not so archery related item that I can't pass up because I might miss out if I had the will power to be smart...lol
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©