3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: two arrow alternatives - what would you choose?  (Read 854 times)

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: two arrow alternatives - what would you choose?
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
Personally, I'd go with Option A. It's almost 100 grains heavier than what I shot through my moose, so I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about penetration.

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
Guys who haven't tuned with a 30 inch draw (not saying you guys haven't) can't believe the spine it takes. 350's for sure and get the FOC up. I shoot a bow that is 57@ 30 and draw it a little past that and I shoot the 350's with similar setup you are looking into.
Just to vote I would go with the higher FOC
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by saumensch:

Originally posted by Guru:
I would go with option "B", with a change...

Instead of the regular insert and 90grs of screw-in weight...

Just use a 100gr brass insert....you won't miss the miss the 3-5grs you'll lose, it's a simpler/tougher system...
Guru, would want to do so, but 100gr. brass inserts arent available in Germany and when i order them from say 3Rivers it costs me more (due to customs etc.) than taking those available screw in weights, thats the whole point for using them. Oh, and of course i have to wait not so long till they are delievered. [/b]
use the alum inserts that came with yer shafting, then make and install  internal carbon weight footings .

you can make them most any weight ya like, they will stiffen the critical area behind the insert, and they can be removed if need be.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the link.
But i am using hte CX Hs and all that now because i no longer trust stuffed arrows.

Once had a dozen ST ePICS and stuffed em with well fitting poly rope,  after half a year of practice (mostly stumpin for me) some started flying odd, i opened the worst in length and the rope had  pushed itself against the nock.

Also tried  to glue a piece of tube / rope behind the insert, shook loose after 30 shots, had to throw the shaft away, its stuck in the middle.

I think the impact pushes itonly forward for an instance and then the power bounces back, or it is while the arrow gets launched however, neither worked for me so i wont stuff any shaft again.

Thanks nevertheless
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
I'd use them both if you have them both.  You are not going to see a lick of difference in ANY attribute of performance with 28 grains of weight between them.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by saumensch:
Thanks for the link.
But i am using hte CX Hs and all that now because i no longer trust stuffed arrows.

Once had a dozen ST ePICS and stuffed em with well fitting poly rope,  after half a year of practice (mostly stumpin for me) some started flying odd, i opened the worst in length and the rope had  pushed itself against the nock.

Also tried  to glue a piece of tube / rope behind the insert, shook loose after 30 shots, had to throw the shaft away, its stuck in the middle.

I think the impact pushes itonly forward for an instance and then the power bounces back, or it is while the arrow gets launched however, neither worked for me so i wont stuff any shaft again.

Thanks nevertheless
sounds like you didn't check it out - the internal footing thread (as linked above) involves a solid, stationary, short internal footing that does not move.  this is nothing like stuffing rope or tubing into a hollow shaft.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
What SteveO said - no real difference in the 2.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
For hunting I will shorten the shaft so you need much more weight on point to increase the FOC!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by cacciatore:
For hunting I will shorten the shaft so you need much more weight on point to increase the FOC!
however, if you don't shorten the shaft and just add on more front end weight, that will increase the foc much more ... do this first, befoe shortening the arrow -  you will probably find that the arrow will not be weaker in spine.

Offline Bigkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
option A all day long for me the little bit of FOC and Total Weight I am giving up and Having the Longer arrow is worth it.

I would even try a 145 grain point on there to see if I could increase the FOC and weight.

If it isn't broke don't fix it, Either set up will work just what do you have available to you

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©