3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best day pack !  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Best day pack !
« on: January 14, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
I've been looking for a good day pack for several years.. I'm talking about something I can take some small essentials in, camera, small tripod, rain gear, lights, compass, thermacell, etc... Don't want it too big and bulky as it goes up in the tree with me.  Generally I only hunt in the afternoons for a few hours but sure like having my gear with me.. What have you guys been using? WHIP ?????
                         Thanks

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best day pack !
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
Hard to beat Bison Gear. Will cost you more than many, but the workmanship is exceptional and it is well designed. Mine is made out of wool, though they may now have some that are synthetic material.
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
Just checked their website. I have the First Trip Explorer model day pack (since 2002). Perfect for all day in a treestand or stalking.
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline VA Robinhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
Badlands Whitetail is a great pack

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
I'm not sure if Angelo has it pictured yet, but ask him about the Elk Hunter day pack from Bison Gear. I don't leave home without it.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
If you are looking for a pack primarily for whitetail hunting and want the option to carry bigger items on occasion the Badlands Superday is a really nice option.  Lots of room, well designed, and great warranty.

If you just want to carry the items you mentioned take a look at this one.  I love the flip up "basket" as a place to throw your stuff you want handy while you're in the stand.  Grunt call, binos, book, etc.  It gives you a place to toss something quick when that buck sneaks in behind you!

This is the Badlands Treehugger pack.  A standard fanny style pack with the cool mesh bucket that flips up.  I don't have these listed on my website, but do have in stock and can always get anything you need from Badlands.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Doc Pain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Pat, which ever pack you decide on, I would get one with a hydration system.  I carried bottles of water for years and was always annoyed with either the sloshing sound or waveing around the big white bottles like you see in the previous post picture.  I find that I drink more water with a pack that has a hydration system because it's easier to access and quieter.  Water's still one of the cheapest things around to keep refreshed and alert.
If it isn't life or death, it's no big deal.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
Take a look at the Timberhawk Rut Buster pack.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline SoNevada Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
I LOVE the Badlands "Super-day" Best pack I ever used.
The doom of man...that he forgets!

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
I like my Badlands Diablo.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
love my badlands whitetail looking to try the diablo also this year
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Online Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
I purchased a Bison gear pack over 10 years ago. I have used it in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Colorado, ND and it still is like new. Very quiet material so I don't need to take it off to get close to animals.
Dav

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Might try the x2 by eberleystock. Its a small pack. very comfortable. can hold plenty. I have not hunted a tree stand but I would think this would be fine for that.
Levi Bedortha

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
I use a "Mountainsmith Lumbar" pack...it has proven to be extremely comfortable, and it's design lends itself perfectly for bowhunting...two side pouches for water bottles, and the over-the-shoulder strap combined with the belt-strap holds it solid/secure to your body, making it quieter, less cumbersome...also, if you need to get into it in the field, just unsnap the belt catch and the shoulder strap keeps it on you while you just spin it to the front for quick & easy access...I forget it's on my back...they have a couple different capacities, and several different colors...around $70...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
I love my bison gear outfitter pack with shoulder harness. Has room for all my stuff. Very quite and very durable.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
I prefere to carry a big fanny pack like the Monster Pack from Badland.It is as roomy as regular daypacks and it is much easyer to draw your bow with that on.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
I use a good leather possibles bag (like the muzzleloading guys use, but without the foofaraw decorations).  Had a local Amish saddlemaker sew me one up this spring using the one my Mom made 20 years ago as a pattern (finally retiring that one!).  Wish I had a dollar for every mile I've carried that old bag.  The original was made of leather from a bison Dad killed, and this one is from a nice, medium, cow leather.  The cow leather is better - less stretchy.

I carry a half dozen screw in steps, a knife, flashlight, pruning saw, my haul up and tie in ropes in the main bag, and an extra bowstring, hunting license, tags and a pen in a small front pocket and I'm good to go.

When I need to carry a backpack along to sit a treestand for 3 or 4 hours then its time to carry less junk!  Really this bag is about all I use anywhere for a daypack.

R

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
Not knocking any of the others, as I am sure that they are nice, but I prefer the elite scout pack from cabelas.  It is not as large as some day packs, yet much more comfortable than a fanny pack and holds more.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Here's mine, an actual "daypack"; it carries EVERYTHING I need for a day in the field - no more.  Tough as nails and very quiet.  It has brass "Sam Browne buttons" which allows quick access and secure closure.

Gary Logsdon

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
'Nuther vote for Bison Gear!   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©