3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice on How to Carry a Treestand and Pack  (Read 639 times)

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice on How to Carry a Treestand and Pack
« on: January 14, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
I'm looking for any ideas on how you folks are carrying your treestand and pack when you hunt. Because of my fear of leaving stands in the woods (I've lost several to thieves), I always carry my stands in and out. I'm using Lone Wolf stands and have gone to a fanny pack that "rides" below the stand. It's not the most comfortable set up, particularly when walking long distances, but it works. Any other ideas or setups would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice on How to Carry a Treestand and Pack
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
Kyle I use the same type setup, I loop the straps of my fanny pack aroung the top of my climbing sticks and carry it all in that way.  The fanny pack thus ride off your sticks higher up on your back where there is less strain.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
I use a backpack style pack and a Locon Windwalker.  On the back of my pack are straps to hold additional clothing or other needed items.  The windwalker is small and light enough that it will clip in the pack without being difficult or akward to carry.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
I just wear the fanny pack (Badlands Stealth Roll Top) but turn it around so it faces frontwards. Allows me access to its contents and travels fine even with extra clothes lashed to it.

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
I have an Equalizer climbing treestand. With the backpak straps provided the stand rests on your back like a pack-frame, just a little bigger and not as comfortable. I strap my backpack to the treestand and off I go. I am able to get 2-3 miles in, but I will admit that it is bulky and cumbersome. It works for me. Ben

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
When elk hunting.I put my treestand on my packframe.Its very comfotable.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
I know some guys use the pull type golf bag carts, Blinds also fit very good on them also.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
I use a LW climber and hang ons with a KOM backpack.  I just loop the backpack shoulder straps over the tree gripping part of the stand.  Sometimes I'll wrap a bungee cord around the pack to keep it tight to the stand, but most times it's not needed. When I'm using the hang on stands, I carry the tree steps in a sling over my shoulder.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
Maybe I'm the only one, but I carry my bow in my right hand and my stand in my left (like a Loc On Windwalker for hang-and-pull setups).  Rest of the stuff is in a small shoulder bag.  Am I missing something?  Of course I'm not mountain climbing or anything to get to my stand site, but I'd carry this setup as far as I'd need to walk in.  Maybe you are taking too much stuff along for a day hunt?

R

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
Ryan, your left arm is going to be longer.   :D   I normally don't carry a backpack, but when I do, I just hang it off the stand as mentioned above.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
Rackpack by Magnus

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
I do essentially the same thing as Guru with a summitt.

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
Bornagain and Guru probably have the best systems so far. I have researched and experimented a lot. My favorite is a Kifaru pack, possibly with cargo chair, and a simple, lightweight stand like a Loc-On Limit or Windwalker, with Lone Wolf sticks. This will give you maximum adaptability for different hunting situations, as well as an extremely comfortable suspension, not to mention industry leading quality on all counts. I have used this system for everything from a morning hunt to an 80 lb load for a week in the backcountry.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
First thing is I buy the cheap Dicks $35.00 stands(disposable as I call them) if there stolen Im not out alot.I also take the first four steps with me when I leave.It helps.Second when I carry a stand in I put shoulder straps on it and I have a small kids pillow(camo-Big K $6.00)I had sewn a velcro strap ad fasten it to the stand at the small of my back for comfort.And then the fanny pack get buckled around the platform of the stand.The pillow is then used as a seat cushion when my *ss gets sore on long sits.You can also get an alice pack frame from  military surplusit has a ledge and shoulder straps and works great to.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Whatever I can't fit in my pockets I don't need.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
I haul everything on my Bullpac.
Gary Logsdon

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Crash:
Ryan, your left arm is going to be longer.    :D    I normally don't carry a backpack, but when I do, I just hang it off the stand as mentioned above.
Maybe THAT'S why I'm 5 ft 6 with a 29 inch draw...

Seriously, though, my bow is 3-4 lbs and the stand weighs 6...Putting on and off a backpack would be more trouble for me than its worth.  I like to keep things simple and focus on the deer, not the paraphernalia.

R

Online Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
All my spots are at least a mile in. I go in for the day and carry food, water, clothes (get dressed at tree), and some survival and butchering gear (no more dragging for me). I strap a LW hand climber to an old Alaskan pack frame and hang a daypack on the stand like Guru. When its cold I'll be carrying around 40lbs but the packframe makes it very mangeable,

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
Angelo at Bison Gear makes an amazing pack that contains your stand. He makes them to fit an assorment of stands. My Lone Wolf Alpha fits in mine just fine. The pack has a zipper along bottom. You can climb tree and reach around and undo zipper and stand will drop down and out. It has another compartment for you hunting gear as well.
hunt it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©