3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wind detector powder  (Read 674 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wind detector powder
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
So far the only puff bottles I've used were bought..I always have one in my pocket....and I also always have a film canister full of milkweed pods attached to my bow....they really ride the wind for a long time...

A couple thoughts....colored chalk line chalk will get on your cloths and you at times...not good, it stains...

Someone mentioned" baby powder, and not being worried about the scent".....you have to remember, that stuff does eventually come down, and something with that much scent is just polluting the area around you with un-natural odor...worse than not using anything at all....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »
I agree with Curt - I just use the store bought stuff.  A bottle lasts a long time for a few bucks.  I've tried the chalk line dust and really don't like that.  

I also use the milk week pods.  A great way to carry those is in an old plastic 35mm flim cannister (if you can find one!)  Drill a hole in the bottom and pull the milk weed out through the hole.  Works kind of like pulling a kleenex out of the box and is much handier than in a plastic bag  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
I use the a duck down feather on a thread tied to the Bow. I like it because it doesnt require any movement on your part to use. In my experience movement has got me busted more often than anything else. If your town has a duck pond you can pick up a lifetime supply off the ground in about 5 minutes.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
CORN STARCH no odour.
hunt it

Offline WVeer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
I agree with Tater and xtrema312, get you some Milk Weed pods.  I store them pod and all in a Ziploc bag.  I just take one out and put in my shirt/jacket pocket.  When you want to check the wind, just pull a little out and let it go.  You would be supprised to see how the wind swirls and how the thermals react here in the moutains.

Offline del

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
I use a malibu feather tied to my upper limb with dental floss.  I believe the animal I am hunting can see the puff of smoke too.  I don't think a puff of smoke is natural in the woods, smoke means fire, animals run from fire. Just the ramblings of a southern country boy.  <>< del

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
Another way to carry the Milk Weed Pods is in one of the old plastic oval change holders with the slit in the top, fill it up with the silks and put it in your pocket, quiet, and when you want to check the wind just squeeze the sides grab a pinch let the container close pull out the pinch and check the wind.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
Yea, I like floaters myself such as milkweed. They'll go a lot further then powder will.

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
I steal some of my wifes knitting yarn.  You can tie a piece to a limb for a wind detectory or pull off strands and they fly as good as milkweed floaters.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
Uncle Buck, The problem with something that's on your bow is that it limited to what the wind is doing right next to you. It could bouncing off of you, or the trees directly around you.  Or, it could be getting blocked by those as well.

Puffers or better yet something riding the wind a bit will really show you what the wind is doing out away from you, and what YOUR scent is really doing....

Del, If your deer can see a tiny shot of powder smoke, I'm sure glad I'm not hunting down there! That's some amazing eyesite!!    :eek:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Looks like I will be going milk weed pod hunting..

Man you can learn a lot here

Again thanks

Mike......
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
Think Curt nailed it, I use a feather for what the wind is doing next to me and powder to see what it's doing away from me and where the currents are carrying my scent.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
I keep the orange chalk in my pack.But use milk weed pod.I also have a small turkey down feather tied to my selfbow.This works most of the time untill it gets wet.You don't want to get the milk weed wet eighter.So I'll use the calk in my pack.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline del

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
Guru, I did not mean to act like I know it all but yes, deer have very good sight.  Sorry if i offened you. <>< del

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
No offence bud....just commenting is all...I would think the movement to use a puffer would spook anything before they even had a chance to see a little puff of smoke....It's all good    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
I usually don't use a powder since I believe it has a tendency to not really tell me much about the wind currents near my stand.....that's where milkweed pods or a light color fiber floating through the air really shines.  Powder does a good job of showing wind direction at that moment.

I collect as many pods as I can lay my fingers on and store them, de-seeded, in 35mm film canisters.  I also buy the fiber material in a small plastic container at sporting goods stores when I find it.  I really like that stuff, but then again you really have to love using something that costs nothing and you find yourself.  We have an overabundance of milkweed around, so I always seem to have plenty.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
Just thought of something I've been doing for the last few hunts.  

I buy my hunting sweaters from goodwill.  They are all 100% wool.  A simple pluck on the sweater results in a few wool strands that fly great on the wind.  For about a dollar a sweater you get to stay warm and have a built in wind checker.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline MAGICMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
I just refilled my bottle last night with corn starch. No odor & it worked like a charm when i puffed it!!
Judge not less thee be judged yourself.

Offline dcmeckel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
try the local Farmers co-op.They may have a powder that is used on certain grains so it slides through a planter better.It's been working for me for years.

Offline Brook Trout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
I also use milk weed pods.  They are free and you can stuff alot of the fibers into a film canister, so you can use them liberally.  I usually take a clump of fibers out of the canister and put them in a jacket pocket so I can check the wind often.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©