3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another happy Zipper owner...  (Read 1444 times)

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
Another happy Zipper owner...
« on: April 16, 2007, 12:57:00 AM »
I picked up a "new to me" Zipper TD (top bow in pic) this weekend. These bows are outstanding performers and are also very easy on the eyes! I have always desired a Zipper TD in my collection and this was a dandy of a bow to hold out for. 62" and about 52# at my draw.

I spoke to Bob about the this particular bow and he said that this bow is the next to the last one he built and the last one will be for himself, when he gets time to get around to it.

I sell a few custom pool cue's for Bob now and then. He is outright one of the nicest fella you could deal with.

Just may have to talk to Bill about getting a set of longbow limbs made to go with this riser. Now that, would be the icing on the cake  :thumbsup:  !

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another happy Zipper owner...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 03:26:00 AM »
JL, That is a pretty bow. How does it perform compared to the border? The longbow limbs are very nice and perform pretty much the same as the recurve limbs which is very well.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »
Speedwise, both the Border and Thermal edge out the Zipper, by eye. Granted, both the Border and Thermal are very fast examples of their particular models and the Zipper is by no means a slouch.

Quietness- Thermal, Zipper, Border

Shootability/forgivness- Border, Zipper and Thermal tie for second

The Zipper is a outstanding bow in all regards. It's got the looks, speed and offers the forgiveness that I personally demand out of a bow. I will retain a spot on my rack!

JL

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
Fine bows ,congrats,

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »
Congrats
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 03:25:00 PM »
JL,
Set the Zipper up w/ the same string drampners as your other bows and let us know how they rank.The Zippers I have are quiet enough that longbow shooters comment on it.
Great find and enjoy

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »
I just added a set of bowhush on the string yesterday. The bow is already quiet and I'm sure the bowhush will take it to another level but I have not shot it (besides the manatory "test" shot off the deck in the pouring rain yesterday) since. Every bow has it's own properties and I am getting to know how this bow likes to be shot,brace, ect. I can tell right off the bat that the feeling out period will be quick. You just know from the first couple shot's weather a particular bow will work with your shooting style. Looking forword to sticking a lot more stumps with this bow...

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
Where did you get the bow rack?

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
On the bay, few years back. Works well and was cheap. Should of bought the larger version tho...

JL

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
She looks nice up there, take good care of her!

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 01:49:00 AM »
Nice. I got an old one, years ago; and got Bob to make me a lighter set of limbs for it, a while back.
I'm glad I did it and they are fine bows.

Hope you like it as much as I like mine.  :archer:
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
JL-

You got a great collection there. I'm curious about your thermal as it looks different than mine which was built in August of 2006. Is that a high or medium grip? I like my thermal, but I'm not crazy about the grip as it doesn't really force my hand into the same position each time (it's kinda rounded off so to speak compared to others I've  had). Also, what kind of wood is that in the thermal.

Thank you
Brady
BCD

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
My Thermal has a med grip and was built in 2000. The second set of limbs (Ric's newer design that make a 58" bow and 53# draw) were made around 2003'ish, I think, and they really smoke an arrow. I also have a set of 60"/57# limbs for this bow (hanging on the sides of the bow rack). Here's a better pic of the grip area on my Thermal;

The checkering on this bow rivals that of the finest checkering I have ever seen. The Osage accent stripe is left intact thruout the checkering. Very nice touch. Here's a better pic of the Thermal strung;

I'm am thankful to be able to put this small but sweet bow collection together and I try to use and enjoy them as much as I can. Only thing I need now is a set of longbow limbs for the Zipper..well...maybe a LB set for the Border also and  :rolleyes:  ...

JL

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »
WOOOW ! that's nice checkering there!! you're right. It doesn't matter how old you get, getting a new bow is a wonderful thing.
Good Luck

Alex
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
Wow, JL, except for the Border our collections are the same! Your Thermal is very close to mine which is macassar ebony and zebra wood. Ric's contractor for checkering quit doing it when mine was on order otherwise I'd have had it done. It is a heavy, rock solid and quiet shooter.

I have both the standard and extreme Zipper risers and more limbs than I care to admit. The Extreme is faster than both the Thermal and the Standard Zipper at the same draw and arrow weights. Here's my Snakewood Extreme on a bear hunt.

Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
Looks mighty fine there Jerry.  Zippers sure are sweet!!
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
JL and Beachbowhunter-can you guys post side views of your zippers (from the shelf side) so I can see the grips a little better? Mine still looks different at least to me and the grip isn't very comfortable to shoot. BBhunter-is your thermal a medium grip as well?

Thank you
BD
BCD

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
I'll see if I can get a pic of the shelf side of the Zipper's riser posted tonight. Did you have the Zipper built for you or buy it preowned? If the grip is biting into your hand, you could have it reshaped a bit to fit your hand. Sounds like the grip on your Thermal may be a bit large for your hands if your hand is floating.

Good looking bows there BBH! Great minds must think alike! Does your Thermal have the newer style limbs? I personally prefer the newer limbs myself and find they really perform great! Real fast and super quiet. My Thermal is the quietest recurve I have ever shot, bar none, and I have gone thru some bows in my time. I find that generally most real quiet curves lack top perfomance but my Thermal brings it all to the table. It will keep a spot on my rack.

JL

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
JL-

My thermal was built for me. It is a good performer and is the quietest bow that I have ever shot. With a FF string, it is even quieter with virtually no handshock. I'll try to post a pic of it to see what you think of the grip. It's probably the same as yours, but looks different to me.

BD
BCD

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
BCD, here are a couple of Extreme risers.
  Here is my standard riser

I would say that my Thermal is med to med-low.
JL, yes my bow was made last year...I...um...uh..well, I have a few limbs...
    :saywhat:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©