3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Real problem!!  (Read 419 times)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Real problem!!
« on: January 15, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
I have serious doubts that there is a better answer to my problem than I have already come up with but I want to put it out there just being hopeful.

The problem: Beggar Lice(not sticktites), the best method for removal. I picked up more than my fair share while out bunny hunting. I've gotten them before but nothing like this time.

In the past I've tried picking them off, kinda one(or a dozen) at a time, scraping them off with a buter knife.
 If I or you could think of some tool that wouldn't harm my clothing but effectively remove these darn things it would be great and a blessing to me.

Thanks in advance!
God bless,Mudd

PS: Yeah I know!....If this is the biggest problem I have to face today... I should just keep picking and get over it...lol
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Real problem!!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
how about this

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=9909

i use kevlar snake chaps to keep the little devils off.

rusty

Offline Corn Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
Mudd, Check this out I know I am going to order one. Pumice stone might work too. Normally i do what you are doing one at a time. Or throw it in te wash when the wife isn't looking  ;)

http://www.burzoff.com/
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Offline Corn Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
HAHA great minds.And three rivers is a sponsor too. COOL!
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
Wow never knew about those.  I may have to get me one for deer hunting.  For rabbits and other small game I just wear filson chaps.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Jason_MO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
Not sure if this will work as I have not tried it yet...  But, my wife bought this small battery operated tool at I think Target that is made to shave or cut the 'fuzzies' off of sweaters and stuff that always happen from being laundered.  It works like a an electric shaver and everything it cuts goes inside.  Clothes look brand new again.  The holes in the hood are maybe 3/16 in diameter..

I figured to give it a try myself sometime when she is not looking!!

Jason

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
At the risk of sounding ignorant is this a regional problem? I have never heard of them until reading this and have been in the woods and hunting my entire life.
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
pcappy-08, Beggar's lice are a major pain in the arse in eastern Nebraska, not far from Mudd's locale.  It's interesting, the regional differences we all have here in the US.  Where I hunt, I never encounter briar patches, but hunting SE Iowa I ran into some patches that made Kodiak Island alder thickets look inviting by comparison!

What I normally try to do is where clothing that doesn't pick up the burrs to begin with, or maybe pick them up but not so tightly that they can't be taken off easily.  Or wear knee boots (but the bushes grow higher than that), and have even resorted to hip boots on occasion to deal with that (and poison ivy).

These burrs means a lot of fleece and other materials are rendered nearly useless.  There are other offenders depending on the area; I particularly hate foxtail and have thrown away cotton/poly garments in the past (nice comfy sweats) after encountering that.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Jason_MO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
common in the midwest

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Try a fine tooth comb.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
its interesting to see the differences from area to area, although still fairly rare where i hunt, im starting to see chiggers which i only used to read about.  guess no matter where u hunt there are annoyances to deal with.
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Well I'll be danged! You know what? I bet I've read on their web page and through the catalog only about a bajillion times and I remember reading that name but completely passed over it because of the word picture I get/got when I read "BurzOff Bur Remover". I just immediately thought of the removal of metal off of "whatever" project you might be working on. I guess I should ahve known by now not to trust myself and my word pictures after all these many years. Thanks Rusty!! I'm certainly gonna order one. It's dirt cheap, if it works and it won't be the most money I've wasted if it doesn't.

I want you others to take note of two things here.. old folks can be wise(ie Rusty) and some old folks(ie me) can or at least are willing to learn something new...lol
Thanks for all of the responses but for those of you who may have some other ideas. Don't let the fact that the "wheel has in fact been re-invented here today" stop you from sharing your ideas with us.
Thanks again!
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
I like Filson chaps too. I use them for pheasant and bunny hunting.  When wearing my woolens, I pick up tons of them though.  A pumice stone or the Burzoff works, but so does knife at a 90 degree angle.
TommyBoy

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
I've used the Burzoff for 3 years but I find running the edge of my pocket knife in a brushing motion works well or a putty knife using the same motion is about as good as it gets. Anyway you do it eventually you end up picking to survivors off with your fingers.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
I have the Burzoff.  It works for some things like denim or Carhartts but not for looser wool or fleece.  Boot laces are a real pain too.

This youth season in September was kind of funny with beggar lice.  My son and I were setting up in  a spot right off the drive of the property we were on.  I saw a deer back in the woods and hurried to get him to get a shot.  He pulled on his boots but his pants leg was kind of caught in the top of his long football style socks.  We rushed through a brushy area to get set up.  After the hunt (he missed the shot by the way  :(  ) we looked down and the top of his sock was completely covered with beggar lice.  I had him pull it off and cut it in half rather than try to remove them.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
Burn your clothes get rid of em for good  :biglaugh:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
I've always used the "butter knife" method. I do try to avoid the sticktights/burrs when possible. But when I do get into them I am COVERED in them... LOL

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
Dude what about Duct Tape or a good tape lint remover brush.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
I use the burzoff and it works really well.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
Be very careful with the Burzoff. It may work great on some materials, but it tore a few holes in the cuff of one of my favorite pair pairs of hunting pants. I threw the Burzoff in the garbage and went back to picking them off my hand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©