3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting Glove  (Read 421 times)

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting Glove
« on: June 30, 2009, 04:50:00 AM »
Am I the only one in here who doesn't use one? I thought it was normal to shoot with bare fingers...
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting Glove
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 08:03:00 AM »
Not criticising those who DO use a glove, if that was anyones first thought - not at all! I just found out that there are more glove-users than I expected.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:31:00 AM »
I would think most shooters use a glove or tab as opposed to bare fingers.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
I practice a few shots without just incase I ever forget my glove. Too rough on my fingers to continually shoot like that for me though. More power to ya if you can, one less thing to mess with.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
Never owned a glove, and my fingers are at their greatest. Can't imagine not being able to feel the string with skin  :scared:

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 12:33:00 AM »
do you use an armguard? whats the drawweight on your bow you must have some thick callous do you take adeep hook on the string? love to see a video ican pull to anchor ijust dont have the cajones to release
Arrow_Flynn

Offline preflex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 02:57:00 AM »
i sometimes shoot without the glove, but on my one bow i put the nock off at a weird angle so it can and will cut you, ive got a nice groove in my glove, my finger is still healin from last time i shot w/o the glove it cut me good (shot at least 100 arrows that session) i like the glove cause it takes the strain off the joint from the string sitting directly on it but i dont like how you cant feel the arrow/string, but u do get used to the glove. i cant stand tabs had one slip on me when i was on a "firing line" and the arrow exploded in to like three pieces and one almost got the guy next to me.
Damon Howatt mamba recurve 60# @28"
martin jaguar takedown 40# @28"
"water proof in is water proof out"

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
Shooting heavy bows without finger protection for an extended period of time could result in soft tissue damage and even permanent nerve damage.  

I suppose one could shoot all they want after that w/o protection since there's no feeling.  

Of course, there are exceptions, but i'm not willing to go through all the pain.
Lon Scott

Offline mjdglobal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 12:24:00 AM »
Yeah I definetly like the glove.  I shoot the thin leather Damascus (no padding) and I think it has great "feel".

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 02:56:00 AM »
If I use an armguard? Every time. After getting string slapped on a bare forearm once, you never forget the armguard again  :D

Drawweight is 70@28, but I tend to overpull it by an little inch or two. I actually don't have much that much callus. If it's a video you want, that can surely be arranged   ;)

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
Don't take this wrong, but I don't understand why you wouldn't use a glove. I mean, it's basically protective gear.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 04:42:00 AM »
I don't like not being able to fully feel the string. There are powerlifters who don't use gloves, even when they deadlift more than 1000lbs. When you get used to it, it doesn't hurt at all.

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by TheFatboy:
When you get used to it, it doesn't hurt at all.
Like not wearing shoes.  LOL
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 04:42:00 AM »
Pretty much. I used to wear flip-flops and shorts all winter. People were like: "What the hell? Aren't you f-f-freezing?" - just told 'em that you'll get used to it. Sure, it's cold, but nothing serious. Even my teachers were worried that I'd get sick. I didn't. I barely ever do. Like, once a year maybe. Flip-flops rule!

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 01:20:00 AM »
It's just mind over matter, if you don't mind, it don't matter.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
I wear both. Belt AND suspenders. Better safe than in pain and sorry......
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
I use the Damascus glove for feel. Never liked the tab or thicker gloves.I used to shoot bare fingered about 1/3 of the time. Once I built up some serious calluses' it caused in grown finger nail issues. Had to give up the bare finger thing.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »
Since this thread came up a while ago i thought i'd have a go at ditching my glove.

My fingers weren't tough enough to go bareback straight away, so i started using Transpore White surgical tape on my fingers.  I'm currently using three layers and my fingers are slowly getting used to the abuse.  My intention now is to move down to 2 layers once my fingers have toughened up a bit more and then down to one layer and then to bare skin.

I certainly much prefer the tape to the glove, the release is so much cleaner.  It was a bit tough at first coming to full anchor as the further i drew the more it hurt, and also trying to keep the arrow on the shelf is a bit of a problem at the moment as my fingers are still getting used to a whole new feeling when drawing.  But overall i'm definitely convinced that i won't be going back to a glove.

Point to note, it's Transpore "White", the normal Transpore don't work very well.  Transpore White is a woven version of Micropore.  Very durable stuff!

All the best!
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blackhawk:
Shooting heavy bows without finger protection for an extended period of time could result in soft tissue damage and even permanent nerve damage.  

I suppose one could shoot all they want after that w/o protection since there's no feeling.  

Of course, there are exceptions, but i'm not willing to go through all the pain.
Just curious as to what poundage would be considered heavy? I shoot 60# longbow, I use a glove and still have a pretty good callous on my ring finger. I agree with Blackhawk, I would think with no glove your fingers would eventually become damaged.
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament showeth his handiwork

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
I tried to use a thick glove at first, only because a friend suggested the brand, but I couldn't stand not "feeling" the string. I forgot my glove once, and had to shoot w/o...I ended up liking it a lot. It got me thinking about a friend of mine who is a fantastic Hockey player, he tried out for the San Jose Sharks a few years back...he told me that a lot of those guys won't wear socks in their skates because they can't "feel" as well...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©