3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What arrows is everyone shooting and why?  (Read 1930 times)

Online 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
What arrows is everyone shooting and why?
« on: April 16, 2007, 02:07:00 AM »
I just got my wood arrows on here and I like them but im not in to the gluing just to change a head. Ive shot my carbons and they make my Kempf shoot like a rifle with these the down size if they crack or the nocks blow out while stumping.

Im going to try aluminum's to see how they shoot and hold up. What is everyone shooting and why?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Michael Peschek

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What arrows is everyone shooting and why?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 03:04:00 AM »
I am shooting some port orchard cedar arrows because I enjoy making them and they are more traditional. They hold up well but I haven't tried any carbons or aluminums yet.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 03:13:00 AM »
Easton 2216 XX75 Gamegetters, because that is what works for me. I'm used to using Aluminum arrows and I am just a little resistant to change.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 04:56:00 AM »
These are my arrows for turkey hunting this season, POC-4 fletch with orange fur tracer and Wensel Woodsman broadhead. To me wood shafts and wood bows just go together.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 05:44:00 AM »
I'm with 2Big. Glueing the points is no big deal to me.

It's like this: make or buy your arrows. Shoot them with field points. Take the best shooting ones and replace the field point with a broadhead. Test shoot. If all is ok, you're done. I don't think you'll be taking the broadhead off at that point.

Offline coaltroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 08:51:00 AM »
I also like the wood arrows, Just a sort of nostalgic feeling shooting wood. I do like a pretty heavy arrow, Ash has been my choice the last couple of years. Will continue looking for good wood in the 600 to 700 gr weight range.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
Wood!Tapered Birch shafts.....between 600-650gr.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
RRA shafts, field and broadheads; Zwickeys, some very old ACME with blunts. I just like wood, fun to make.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
I shoot wood from my 'curve, and 2016s from my LB. I love making the arrows though....
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Stix

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »
I am shooting pine hexshafts. I like them because they are much more durable than POC, and weigh more. Plus I got them for $50/doz. made to my specs. from AmericanArrows.com
Stix

Offline nchunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »
For stump shooting it's hard to beat (or break) river cane.  They're even better than carbon!  In fact I've never broken a river cane arrow.  Not even when I accidentally shot one into a steel drum, or richoceted off a hickory tree, etc.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
Right now, ST Axis 400 carbons footed with 1.5" pieces of 1916 aluminum shaft. But, I've also got a set of chundoo I'm planning on using. I've also really taken a shine to hunting with solid fiberglass arrows. Just love the extra weight...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
I shoot Lodgepole Pine, Poplar, and POC wood from three of my bows.  I shoot Beman MFX Classic 400 carbons w/90gr weight tubes from my ACS-CX.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »
Carbons - because they can't be beat for consistency and durability.    A wood arrow that shoots good today may not tomorrow because of warp.  Wood costs too much (breakage).  Aluminum is better than wood but still not as durable.  I can use well camoed arrows and fletch for hunting, with a self lighting nock on release, and not worry about covering my fletching to not be noticed. I bought a dozen Goldtips 2 years ago (2 full seasons with a 3rd coming up) and still have 11 left.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »
Cedar, Doug Fir and sometimes Birch.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
I have been shooting cedar, the reason i went to trad was to get away from all the high tech. So this is why i choose to shoot wood.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
I have been shooting wood arrows since 1999.

However.....Last fall my good friend and nieghbor Lew "made the journey" and his wife gave me all of his old hunting gear.Among his old archery gear was about 3 dozen green Bear Razorheads and about 2 dozen "Autumn Orange" XX75 2016's.

My good friend (and TradGang sponsor) Joe Skipp crown dipped,crested,and re-fletched the arrows and I tipped them with the old Bear Razorheads.These are my "hunting" arrows,Now my friend Lew can hunt with me.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
Ramin Dowels, they are Cost-Effective, I havent Broken one yet, and I like to make them. They can be a Bear to get Straight, but once they get there and get used to it, they generally stay.
  I have a Dozen 2016s I keep for Back Ups, Just In Case!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline quemaple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
I have been using aluminum for 4yrs now and they work great.BUT for hunting i almost always take my walnut stained birch shafts because they are  quiet when going thru the woods plus they fly great.

Online 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
I didnt think there was so many wood shooters! Still going to give the aluminums a try to see what I think I dont like how they bend but ill still give them a shot.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©