3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What arrows is everyone shooting and why?  (Read 1932 times)

Offline CMR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What arrows is everyone shooting and why?
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
I use Vapor's and Carbon Express Rebel Hunters.

Offline Aaron Proffitt 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
Tried the carbs,goin' back to POC and other woods.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
Carbons only because they outlast wood and aluminum. Where I stump shoot aluminums only make it a few shots and woodies get busted up pretty easy. I went out with 2 guys the other day and I had four carbons to start with and they each had at least a dozen wood and aluminum. Jamie broke at least 6 woodies and Damon bent or broke a couple of each, all my carbons survived.  CX Heritage 150s. Shawn
Shawn

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
woodchucker, that's pretty neat   :)   I shoot lam birch mainly. Just like the durability and weight of them.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
I have been using sitka spruce. But I gave compressed cedar a try. I like the added weight. They are 50 grs. heavier than the spruce. They aren't as straight. So you have more work getting them ready to make arrows out of them...or maybe it was just this batch I got...?

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
I started shooting Arrow Dynamics (Lites and Heavies) back about 5-6 months ago and have been very pleased with how durable they are. And like Terry said, they will shoot off of any of my bows very well....Gold Tip Trads and Carbonwood Vapors are good arrows that have wood finishes on them that make for more "traditional" looking arrows...

I also love shooting my woodies!!!!
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
I've been shooting the Arrow Dynamics Trads,and Nitro Stingers for almost a year and Love them. No matter what bow I shoot it is just a matter of a minor point weight change and I'm on target. Gary Hunsicker is a joy to work with on picking arrows for your bow. Very knowledgeable.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »
bowdude, you use aluminocks too! they sure are nice when the light is fading to see where you hit or to find your arrow on a passthru.
I shoot gold tip 55/75s with 100grn inserts and 125grn heads at 27" for a 500grn arrow with four 4" shield cut feathers out of a 55#@26" black canyon bow.
p.s. last year i tried the beman mfx classics, but there wasn't any difference in penetration, and the price is like three times as much. and they still break when ya stump shoot with them!
so now i use the GTs and foot them with a 1" piece of 2117 and haven't had one break yet while stumpin

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
I love shooting wood arrows but for everyday practice at the bale I shoot carbon CX hertiage for a longer lasting shaft.

I'm sold on tapered Doug fir....

"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »
Laminated birch and Alaskan Forgewoods,80# spine.60-64# bows,800+ gr arrows. Can ya say THUMP!

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
I went through a faze of shooting carbons for a few years but I've been shooting tapered cedars lately. I just got a new set of tapered Sitka Spruce (Ghost) arrows from Paul and they shoot awesome.   :thumbsup:  I'm headed out today for turkey camp to try and put some blood on them.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline DEERSLAYER1961

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
I like aluminum... I shoot 2016's cut to 28" 165gr up front, and three 5 1/5" sheild cut feathers for a total of 510grns  they fly perfect, and are very durable.  I don't what you guys are shooting at, but I have hade the same dozen for 2 years, and they are perfect minus the couple lost ones.  Been shooting aluminum for 30+ years with little trouble at all.

>DEERSLAYER---->
"FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW"

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
Laminated birch, POC and compressed cedars. 65# spine 50# to 53# bows
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
friends ,
have shot carbons , POC ,sitka spruce and Ramin . will never shoot anything but Ramin from now on. can get what ever i want while sale as i sell archery supplies but will stick with Ramin from now on .

make them from 3/8 dowels and like Danny they are 700 gr plus /90 gr points and if i use screw in inserts ( new product fron Germany ) adds 20 more grains can even shoot Silver Flames from them now   :goldtooth:   have the best  in both worlds and don't ned my casrbons any more .spined to 64# out of bear hunter take down at 53# at my draw hit like a brick !!!! --- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline LONGHORN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
I went from aluminum (those I shoot for 20 years) to carbon and now shoot woodies,hexshaft and POC .I like the toughness of the hexshaft and shoot them exclusively  while hunting.I might go back to aluminum,but I'm satisfy with my woodies for the time being.
Serge
"The sportsman who accepts the sporting code of ethics keeps his commandments in the greatest solitude with no witnesses or audience other than the sharp peaks of the mountain, the stern oak, and the passing animal"
~Jose Ortega Y Gasset~

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2007, 04:09:00 PM »
90% wood & 10 aluminum  :D    :D    :D
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©