3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where to get slabs of POC  (Read 204 times)

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
Where to get slabs of POC
« on: January 15, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
Does anyone know where I could get slabs POC or SP for making arrows?  None grows around here.  I am wanting to experiment with arrow making.  
I have thought about using native woods from SE KY.  Maybe hickory, I even seen a post on here where one guy was using yellow popular.  Any thoughts on this subject would be welcome...I am really wanting to make my own wood shafts from scratch.
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where to get slabs of POC
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
I'm no arrow wood expert but hickory makes a tough,heavy arrow.So does ash.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
I would not try it with POC the good stuff is incredibly rare, as in endangered, and it only grows in two spots in the world.  Some people are making shafts out of Douglas Fir, Spruce, etc... any of those types of are easy to obtain, are fairly easy to work and will make great arrows for you.  Have you thought about river cane, on researched what the indians in your area used for shafts.  You can often collect all you want in the woods and then work up some arrows of the right spine and length for you bow on the cheap.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Jim Curlee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
Dogwood shoots, arrowwood, bamboo, cane, etc. there are many natural arrow shafts. Any straight sapling will work, the native americans used what was at hand.
You can straighten them with steam, they are very time consuming to make.
Jim

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
The only place I found was a lumber dealer in Washington State.  Minimum order was over $5 grand.  :eek:  

Dennis

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
Yellow poplar makes excellent arrows, and can be found in straight-grained boards, an important consideration. Visit a local hardwood sawmill and inquire about "poplar saps". The sapwood boards have more clear, straight grain than boards with the "yellow" heartwood.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
Have been working at this for yr now. There is a specialty wood store in Ft Collins CO that I frequent. Sears and Trustle not sure on spelling. Anyway they have unfinished boards of several species. They carry some PC on occasion. I have not tried shafts from PC because it usually comes in a little lite in gr weight for me. Ash has worked the best so far. Have tried other species with mixed results. Most difficult is finding a board with the striaghtest grain possible. What has worked so far for me, Ash, Doug Fir but can be brittle they may dry it a bit much for arrows, and Birch, also had a good board of maple that worked but straight grain hard to find. What has not worked leapard wood heavey as heck but brittle, zebra wood works great as footing but not complete shaft, Alaskan yellow cedar way to light in spine, have not found good board in poplar yet but other say it is good.
When I go for some more ash boards I always get something new to try. I think PC will be next if they have it.

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
I found some old telephone pole cross ties, bought for $2 each, they were 80 x 4 x 6. Sold thru the local utility co. Some of the straightest grained fir I have ever seen.(tight grain)

Even with all the holes bored thru it I managed 3 dozen arrows thru just half the board (40" piece). they spined 50-55 or better on the average. I guess without labor the cost was 5.5 cents per shaft. I made them 11/32 tapered to 5/16 and they weighted in around 500 gns finished arrows.
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
Just google port orford cedar lumber, I just did to check and came up with at least 6 lumber and wood suppliers that sell poc.  My want to check that out.

Offline Raminshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Port orford cedar can only be "salvage logged" which many times means that they have to dig through as much as 20-30 feet of deadfall logs to find a dead cedar tree.  The average age of these trees is around 200 years old with some as much as 800 years old.  These trees have been through multiple fires and freezing winters which has "tempered" this wood over the years and that is what makes it such a good arrow wood. Because of all this mother nature tempering you don't have to "line up the grain to the arrow shelf" as many have been taught for so many years.  What works the best with POC is when you have a riser that is cut to center or near center so you can shoot a much heavier spined shaft than your bow poundage....as was done in the old days.  This way you ensure you have not only a physically heavier shaft but a tougher one as well. Yes,  as my handle indicates I also love the Ramin wood but can assure you I own and shoot a ton of POC and it still rocks as an arrow wood.  Nothing beats shooting wood!
If you are looking for a log or "bolt" give Jerry Dishon a call at Rose City because this is the form he gets it in and maybe you can get some from him.
Keep flinging those shafts!

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
Thanks guys...great info.
I have been working up some river cane and wild rose shafts but I just really love working with wood and want to get into making some good tapered wood shafts.  Making shavings is good therapy.
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©