3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fitting skinny strings to arrow nocks?  (Read 406 times)

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Fitting skinny strings to arrow nocks?
« on: January 15, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
This has probably been covered somewhere, but there've been so many skinny string threads I thought it would be easier to just ask, rather than sift my way through them.

On a skinny string, how do you make sure that it isn't too skinny for the arrow nock to fit just right?

Can you just serve an extra layer of serving?

Can you pad the string in the middle, by inserting some extra strands before final twisting?

Thanks,

Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fitting skinny strings to arrow nocks?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
Yes to all questions.  Just do what you need to to get the right thickness.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
Thanks, Moebow!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
I use 2 tied on nock points, one above and one below the nock, then build up with flat dental floss between them.
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ben Kleinig:

Can you pad the string in the middle, by inserting some extra strands before final twisting?

Thanks,

Ben
This is how I take care of that with mine.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Ben, first I hate skinny strings! That being said, yes you can as others have said.

My personal preference is to lay strands underneath, and serve over with the serving you prefer. I don't like to wind over winding!

Good shootin, Steve.

Offline mjdglobal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
I have the bow shop remove the center serving and replace it with thicker serving to fit my nocks.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Ben,

I prefer to double serve, just be sure to use a smaller diameter first, then go over with a thicker diameter.  Finding the right combo is the hard part! For example, I'll serve with .014 halo, then serve again with .030 halo.  You need to serve the bottom serving tight.  Also pay attention while serving the top serving.  Sometimes it digs into the bottom serving causing the final diameter size the fluctuate.  It takes the right amount of pressure to properly serve the top serving.

Padding works, but I can't get the final diameter of the center serving as consistant, but that's just me.    :D

Offline elktalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by S2 Bowstrings:
Ben,

I prefer to double serve, just be sure to use a smaller diameter first, then go over with a thicker diameter.  Finding the right combo is the hard part! For example, I'll serve with .014 halo, then serve again with .030 halo.  You need to serve the bottom serving tight.  Also pay attention while serving the top serving.  Sometimes it digs into the bottom serving causing the final diameter size the fluctuate.  It takes the right amount of pressure to properly serve the top serving.

Padding works, but I can't get the final diameter of the center serving as consistant, but that's just me.     :D  
Well said, thats what I do.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
I like to double serve as well. I use a base layer of .021 braided and a layer of .025 over it for 6 strand DF97.  8 strand I just use 2 layers of .021.  GT and CE nocks fit snugly on both. Some would probably say too snugly, but my experience is that if everything is tuned right and the snugness is uniform it works just fine. I shoot better knowing my nock won't accidentally slip off because it is too loose on the string - or subconsciously grip the nock as I draw to prevent slipping off.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 05:09:00 AM »
I served with mono tippet (fly tying) material to bring the diameter up then over served with one (your normal) serving material.  Worked well is nice and smooth, no lumps or bumps.  Takes a couple trys to find out what poundage mono to use for your serving.  I did a section long enough that my string fingers plus a half inch or so on either side is on the thicker section.  Works like a champ.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 05:26:00 AM »
i have lotsa different center serving materials and diameters.  i prefer using bcy halo, and for my 6 strand skinny dyneema'02 bowstrings i use .019" halo and that makes for a correct, loose fit of the bohning nocks on beman carbons.  one thing i don't ever want is the nock to hang on the string - even loosely, it must always fall off.  i use one tie-on and glued nock point over the arrow.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 06:58:00 AM »
Double serve for me, first layer .018 diamondback braid tight then serve in opposite direction with correct size 62xs, I like a little tighter nock than most. .021 over works for me with 8 strand D97 or ultracam. I used to use halo over but had slippage issues unless I treated first served section with a layer of barge then served halo over to hold her tight.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
All I can say is I hope you "double servers" got a Christmas card from the string maufacturers!  :)

I am glad to see so many guys and gals serving their own. Like fishing, you need to learn to tie on your own lure! It's good to be personal with your equipment!

Good shootin, Steve

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
Like Rob i have several differant sizes of serving, with my super nocks i have found with a 6 strand i double serve with as combo of .18 and .24, with a 8 strand i double serve with .19, with a ten strand i double serve with .18. All of these combos give me a loose fitting nock that will hang from the string but will fall off with a very slight tap on the string.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline bearbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Double serving is usually the best way to go. My recipe for a 10 strand 8125 is to double serve with standard nylon(.21)serving. If I make a thinner string then I try another recipe. You can lay additional strands of B-50 under the serving to get your diameter but you will not get that perfectly smooth serving that way.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
Christmas cards, LOL. Actually the second layer is only 4-5 inches long to keep mass down.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
Rod Jenkins told me about building up the nock point with dental floss, then putting a dab of super glue on it when you get the fit you want.  Custom fit, works great, lasts, adds practically no weight to the string.

Chad

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
Almost forgot--I keep several different sizes of serving on hand to get a proper fit for regular strings.

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
I also like the dental floss just at the nock rather than double serving. Part of the reason folks go to a skinny string is the lower string weight, so why add it back with extra serving? It is easy to get a custom nock fit with dental floss and that stuff is tough. Also, if it's good enough for Rod Jenkins, it's good enough for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©