3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how about NO camo?  (Read 859 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how about NO camo?
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 06:41:00 AM »
No, you don't need camoflauge patterened clothing. You do need to adhere to camoflauge techniques....and frankly, you can do that wearing a pink tuxedo.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 06:44:00 AM »
No you don't need camo,but I like it.What you really need is the quality in the material their scent properties,some fabrics stink more than others,the warming and waterproofing qualities.Anything of good wool is hard to beat.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
If I went au naturale there would be more sasquatch sightings...................
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »
WHen I was a Navy corpsman with the Marines in the '70s we wet to a 2 day survival school in the Philipines. Our Instructor literally disapeared 15 yards in front of us in the woods wearing a  red t shirt and blue gym shorts. He said camo was all about being still, getting low, and confidence. We felt preety silly standing there in our head to toe camo. I am not knocking guys who wear camo, I just dont worry about the pattern on whatever I happen to be wearing.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
Gary, That was one of the best cover's I've ever seen on TBM. Excellant Job!! Jason

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
OH, plaid wool is all the camo one needs, as for quiet and ventilated raingear, I don't think they make such a thing! HA! Jason

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
This has been discussed many times before,but ALWAYS worth discussing again!!!

I brought some others to the top for everyone to check out.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline riivioristo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
Killdeer, you kill me with your comments...  ;)
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by oneraindog:

where is the ventilated waterproof NON camo?????
Poncho, man. Poncho.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pepper:
I killed a doe wearing a dark blue poncho.
I'll bet she was quite fetching in her dark blue poncho.
Sorry couldn't resist.
Like the old Groucho bit (from Animal Crackers)...

"I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know."

:bigsmyl:

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »

Originally posted by GingivitisKahn:
[QB] I killed a doe earlier this season while I was stillhunting and wearing a dark blue poncho
nice work! what kind of poncho? isnt a poncho going to be loud? obviously you made it work but i might not be that talented   :)  [/b]
Not sure of the brand but it's a lightweight backpacking poncho.  As to noise - yes, you can hear the rain pattering on the poncho, but you can hear it pattering on the trees, leaves, rocks, deer, etc. so I'm not to worried about that.

The bigger trick is to be able to flip the front over your shoulder (as in a Clint Eastwood cowboy flick) without bugging the deer.  It helps (though it isn't strictly required) to squint your eyes menacingly while shifting your ragged little cigar to the other corner of your mouth while performing this maneuver.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
i love wool. but i also live in the northwest where it has the tendency to rain a LOT. so, it would be nice to have something that wont get soggy and dripping.
Good point. But wool will keep one warm even when soggy and dripping, which is a real advantage in our Western Washington climate.

Like others here, I wear wool. But what I do in the conditions you describe is to carry one of those cheap ponchos in my pack. During downpours I put it on and seek shelter under a tree or whatever until the rain subsides or stops completely.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
If real wet weather,  I use a thin rain top under a wool sweater or cotton shirt depending upon how warm it is. My hat keeps rain off my neck.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline oneraindog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
thanks everyone for all the great input. lots of food for thought

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
I can see deer all the time, even from long distances in open areas and when standing still. Their "camouflage" doesn't work very well a lot of the time. I don't often see hunters in those situations when they are wearing good camo patterns. I understand that movement is the key element in being spotted by animals and other humans, but in my experience animals do not see us as well when we are properly camouflaged even when we move some. They seem to see us more when we don't blend into our environment even if we don't move. I won't argue that camo is needed all the time, especially with animals who are not often exposed to humans, but I think it is almost essential in some hunting conditions, especially around animals that get a lot of hunting pressure and learn what a human shape looks like where the hunter is sitting in the open. On the other hand, much of the camo on the market blobs up when looking at it from more than a few yards away and gives no significant advantage over solid colored clothing and may be worse than solid colors that are the same darkness as the surroundings. Good camo works well, which is why people have been using it in one form or another for millenia and is why some animals have developed camo patterns of their own, like the zebra, leopard, chameleon, insects, fish, etc.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
Killie,
Come now, one of the few perks for us of advanced years is that you can go "sans accoutrements" and the authorities tend to consider you harmless and the locals just refer to you as eccentric (provided you are of sufficient means to make bail).  Nobody wants to hassle a naked person in a deer stand!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Good post Allen!    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
Gary; i really like the plaid jacket and hat on the cover of TBM, where can one purchase them???
                                               Thank You

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
Stone Knife....you are wearing plaids...thats a form of camouflage. Any SOLID Color is not camouflaged. Your plaids blend well with your surroundings but your are "broken up".
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
Thanks Jason, I have more magazine covers slated for this year - one has some plaid thrown in for good measure:^)  Sergio, to answer your question,  that jacket and hat was made by Rob Tiberio of Classic Bowman Sporting Woolens of NJ.  PM me and I'll see if I can put you in contact with him.
Gary Logsdon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©