3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how about NO camo?  (Read 856 times)

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how about NO camo?
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
I guess I'm a little prejudice here, but there's something about that cover which over powers the other hunting mags this month at my local Barnes and Noble:^)

Used with permission TBM,Inc.
Gary Logsdon

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
I would agree Wool is top of the line in most colder wet weather conditions.  And you can find it in many different patterns
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2010, 03:08:00 AM »
Check out the web site of "Stony creek NZ" for hunting clothing that is designed by and for hunters in NZ conditions.  
The prices are in NZ$,which means the exchange rates makes it quite cheap in the USA.
I wear their Sambar jacket that is about 95% water proof,100% wind proof,and breathes so you won't over heat when you climb that mountain.
I think most of their gear comes in both camo or plain browns and greens.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2010, 06:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by joe skipp:
Stone Knife....you are wearing plaids...thats a form of camouflage. Any SOLID Color is not camouflaged. Your plaids blend well with your surroundings but your are "broken up".
Exactly Joe!    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by Guru:

Originally posted by joe skipp:
Stone Knife....you are wearing plaids...thats a form of camouflage. Any SOLID Color is not camouflaged. Your plaids blend well with your surroundings but your are "broken up".
Exactly Joe!      :notworthy:   [/b]
I'm nearly certain that when people talk about camo (or in this case, 'no camo') they are referring to commercially produced patterns recognized as such: woodland, mossy oak, ASAT, etc.

Plaids, solids, and some wild patterns can be 'camo' in the right setup, but the topic here is about camo patterns produced to be such.

This would probably blend in just fine for spring turkey hunting but I doubt you'll find it at the local Army surplus store:

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
"You don't need it."

Jaaaaaames?
What's that stuff on your face?
Killdeer   :saywhat:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
And what is the problem with camo?

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jesse Minish:
:thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
Jesse, there's nothing at all wrong with camo if that is what you prefer. However, there are many others (including me)who believe that plaid patterns in earthtone colors are just as effective as many of today's camo patterns. The bonus is that plaid garments are generally less expensive than the camo products and can often be found at second hand stores.

But if you prefer camo, and especially if it makes you a more confident hunter, then by all means stick with it. Although I am a believer in plaids, I can tell you that I own some camo as well.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
African professional hunters often see multiple animal kills every day and are involved in many more sightings and stalks of animals. They are in the field most of the year and are often hunting huge concessions where the game animals do not have much contact with humans. For rifle hunters in Africa camouflage is not much of an issue due to the distances from which game can be shot. The clients shooting rifles are told by the PHs to wear medium to darker greens and browns and they will do fine. That advice changes completely when the clients will be hunting with bows and arrows. The bowhunter clients are told to bring good full coverage camo because they will need it to get within shooting range of the game unless they are shooting from enclosed blinds. Those PHs know a thing or two about hunting, and they definitely do not encourage the use of camo where it is not needed. Plaids help a lot in breaking up your outline and I have good experiences wearing it.  Among commercial camo, ASAT and Predator are two of the best overall patterns, with Mothwing, Optifade, Skyline, Cabela's Outfitter, Max 1, and some others being excellent patterns too, especially in the right surroundings.

There are way too many game animals killed by hunters (including bowhunters) who are not wearing camo to think that using particular clothing is the single answer to successful hunting. If you don't understand animals and their habits; if you can't find where the animals are located and traveling; if you don't stay downwind and engage in scent control; if your movements are not made infrequently, slowly and carefully; if you make a lot of noise or make noises that are not routinely heard in nature; and if you make other mistakes that alert the animals to your presence, then no camouflage is going to help. Good hunters can make kills without camo, and hunters who aren't good won't kill game when using the best camo. Camo is not the most important aspect of successful hunting, but it is a very useful tool that will increase our successes. The most successful hunters I know use camo, but so do the least successful. This is the same kind of discussion that takes place among flyfishermen when talking about "matching the hatch". Just putting the most natural looking fly in front of the fish won't ensure a catch, but it will increase your chances.

One other point. There are many ways that animals adapt to survive. Some do use camouflage as their primary means of protection. Deer don't. Deer are very high strung with good eyesight, great hearing and a fantastic sense of smell. They are very quick to react, can run like the wind and can leap over obstacles with ease. Except when they are born and have spots, deer do not use camouflage as one of their primary defenses to predation, and that is why we as hunters can see them fairly easily. It is not a very good idea to use deer as an example of a species that is camouflaged, because they aren't. We don't have all those other gifts that deer have, so we ought to use camo to help defeat the natural defenses of the animals we hunt, like deer.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
Absolutely nothing.I'm actually about to by some new camo for turkey season. Turkey's aside, however, I chuckle (and maybe rebel against) all of the marketing that goes into camo. I also have a couple compund shooting friends who are real nutty about the patterns, etc.....they will turn around and go back to the house if their gloves don't match thier coat. That makes me laugh.

Absolutely NOTHING against somebody who wants to wear camo though.

Offline oneraindog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
there isnt anything wrong with it im just not a huge fan. just as you may really really like camo i really really dont.

i understand that camo can provide a distinct advantage and amar911 makes some EXELLENT points all valid and true. originally i was asking a semi-uneducated question. but i think it has some merit. befor the develpment of modern camo and silent suede and all of that, people still caught game. the example of african hunters is a good one because long before the arrival of modern technology and elaborately designed camo patterns african hunters were catching game. as where all other "primitive" cultures.

my intent truly was not to start a flame war of camo vs. no camo. wear what works for you by all means i wont think less of you or criticize in any way. hell ill be right next to you wearing it as well. i just wont be liking it.

im just curious about why the american made options these days for waterproof hunting gear is camo or nothing.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
I never wore camo while hunting during the first 30 years of my life. There are still circumstances where I don't. But over the last quarter century I have become convinced that camo is very helpful in keeping animals from seeing me. It certainly doesn't bother me if someone else chooses not to wear it. The people shooting trad bows who on a regular basis can successfully hunt and kill game without camo are probably much better hunters than I am, and I am proud of them for their skills. I just need more help when I am hunting with a bow, and particularly with a trad bow. I also wish more clothing would be offered in solid colors like olive and medium brown as opposed to just camo. I guess it's primarily a matter of what sells.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonter1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
I also am a fan of wool in plaids and if it gets raining so hard that it is dripping from my wool jacket I also know that following a blood trail is going to be next to impossible, so at this point I go in and get dry.  Go back out when it lets up.  Good luck in any case.

Offline Scott Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2010, 12:27:00 AM »
Don't know if anyone has mentioned the Rain gear that Bass Pro sells.  It's called Frogg Toggs and they are lightweight and available in different colors including camo.  Not too pricey either.    They are windproof also.  I use them while riding motorcyle in the rain and they work great!!!
"I hunt not to kill, I kill to have hunted."
"Aim small, miss small."

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »
Frogg Toggs are fine except noisy as all get-out!  Maybe if I can live with that long enough to get them broken in better that won't be the case, but I have had them a while and they are still really crinkly.  I suppose if you wear them as an under layer that would not be such a problem.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline kevgsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
"I don't use camo"    Just earth tone plaids and burnt cork on my face.

LOL

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
Find a USGI Gore Tex rain suit.  It WILL keep you dry but sorry, it's camo.

Or get a USGI poncho.  Use in conjunction with a chest protector and an arm guard.  It WILL keep you dry but again sorry, it's camo.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
camo gives you concealment in the trees etc,it breaks up your shape so the animal does not see you.imagine a deer with a predator coat on it.you'd never see it.you're not trying to hide the deer from you but you from it.wear what you will but imho camo is the right choice.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
let me add also that i hunt totally differnt from lets say a guy whos out spot and stalking a bedded deer.i call the elk to me trying to get it to pass by me,if i had no camo on i can imagine getting picked off every time.i get picked off even wearing camo once in a while.they see the movement and boom...gone...to me camo is the only way to go.wear a tin suit thats your choice but camo was designed for concealment from game.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©