3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever got an crazy deal on a bow?  (Read 728 times)

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
Ever got an crazy deal on a bow?
« on: January 15, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
Hey guys, just curious if any of you have ever gotten a crazy good deal on a bow? A guy came in the shop tonight to get a string and some arrows. He had a 69 Bear Kodiak Hunter in near perfect shape. Hadn't shot in 15 years. He said he picked it up at a garage sale for $20. We offered to double his money but apparently he  has a vague idea of what he has. I've never found that good a deal on a bow but wondered which of you guys have.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever got an crazy deal on a bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
Back when everyone was going crazy over compounds and getting rid of their old recurves, I picked up a used Bear Grizzly for $25. Even though it was a long time ago, I still think it was a pretty good deal.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
Picked up a Black Widow Graybark for $375. I thought that was good. Also a mid 70's Bear Grizzly in mint shape for $75. Traded the Bear off, should'a kept it! I also got a real nice Mahaska longbow on the classifieds for $160 shipped, its now one of my favorties!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
I believe in miracles!

During a period of low cash flow some years ago, I found myself without a bow for an upcoming archery season and out of the blue a gentleman I had spoken with on the phone about some previous bowhunting experiences gave me a mint condition, high dollar custom longbow TO HAVE  in time for the upcoming archery season!

Man, I was blessed!

So last year I encountered a situation where a father with 3 boys were relatively new to archery.  The father had basically "sold the farm" to get his 3 sons decent archery equipment and get them started in the sport; but he did not have anything left and nothing comin' in in the near future due to the seasonal nature of his work.  After a couple of conversations I finally got him to stop by the house and I got him set up with a "loaner" longbow, a dozen arrows, and a hip quiver to be able to shoot alongside his sons whenever they could get out.  He was feeling good!  

After getting a couple of reports that things were going well for all of them and he was re-livin' his childhood shootin' that stickbow, I let him know that I did not expect to get the "loaner" back and that from that point on he should consider it his.  Was he excited or what!  They are still launching those  arrows together as a family - ain't it great?

:~)

Man, I was blessed - again!

Thanks for reading this long-winded story about a couple of good deals, but the timing was right for me to share them....

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
Shrinken thats a touching story,the generousity of people in our sport is what makes it special.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
bought a 45 lb 56" Bear Grizzly for $5 and a 50 lb 54" Browning Safari 1 or 2? for $15 at yard sales, both in very good shape..still have the little Browning. 12 years ago could have bought a signed Bear custom Kodiak with the gold clips and wood presentation box for $750..I was still in college and just couldn't do it, I heard this bow sold for over $5000 a few years ago..

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
i bought a Pearson Spoiler with cloth camo limb covers and a quiver and about 2 dozen arrows for $15 at a yard sale. I also have a friend that offers me a bow or two nearly every time I go to his house, never took one though.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
I used to see re curves at garage sakes for between5 and 20. I was a kid and wheels were the way so long story short someone got a good deal.  

I was recently given two old bows. They need work due to improper storage but ,hey the price was right.

My da bought his vehicle from a guy who had about 50 bows piled up on his porch, he said those were the bad ones and that he had hundreds in the house. They were all garage sale deals. Now I know where all those bows went   :p
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Jake Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
wen i was about 7 ,I got two bows at a garage sale for $0.25. A 35# pearson and 50# bear, I cant remember what the bear was but it broke wen i was shooting. but i still have the other one, and i killed many birds and stuff with it. i was one happy little boy.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
I got an awesome deal on a brand new Big River longbow I ordered recently! Best bow I've ever shot!    :goldtooth:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Rick James

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
Bought a used BW SAIII Autunm Oak for 400.00 at sporting good store and it was pristine!!!
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Offline Rick James

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
Bought a used BW SAIII Autunm Oak for 400.00 at sporting good store and it was pristine!!!
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Offline ses

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
i pick up a 62 kodiak 45# at a garage sale for 25 bucks
if a man is alone in the woods and no woman can hear him is still wrong?

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
I once bought a Kodiak Hunter and a salmon rod and reel for $35. The rod and reel are since long gone but I still have the Kodiak Hunter.

John

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 12:41:00 AM »
54 Kodiak Compass bow. 55 lb with a quiver full of Bear arrows. Knife and file kit from Origonal owner. all in used but perfect condition. Only the rest showed wear and crazing on finish showed age of bow. 40.00 . His price. I sold the bow on **** for 675.00 the quiver and arrows for over a hundred and kept the knife.
At that time I had no Idea whether it was a good buy or not. I had never seen a compass bow but I did know it was in great condition for its age. I immediately started looking for old Bears LOL.

Offline shikari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 12:42:00 AM »
110#@28 english longbow looks exactly lke the one pope used and from the same era.Price cleaning out a friends attick.

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »
Was at a local flea market and found a Shakespeare
Ocala that a fella wanted $20 for.  I ended up paying $13 for it.  I was at a yard sale years ago and picked up a Pearson Hunter recurve for $3.
Both of these bows were in great condition.  I still have the Ocala, its my best shootin' bow, just wish it were 45# instead of #35
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 02:28:00 AM »
I got a 64# 1952 Bear Grizzly for $5.00 at a g-sale once.
Funny thing, I was on my way over to visit with Bowdoc and the g-sale was in his neighborhood, boy was he pissed at me. LOL!
"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." - John Burroughs

Offline Iron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 03:02:00 AM »
i got a 1970  super K  at a garage sale minty cond. plus a quiver full of old alum's with bear greenies. all for 40 bux.... does that count    ;)
"It is what it is,improvise, adapt, and get it done!"

Hunter's moon 49@28"
1973 Kodiak Hunter 55#@28"
1970 Kodiak Hunter 50#@28"
1970 Super Kodiak 45#@28"
1965 Kodiak magnum 47#@28"

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 03:05:00 AM »
Not me personally. A friend of mine was give a Bear Kodiak we he bought a Hill longbow at a yard sale. He paid $15.00 for the longbow. They guy said the two bows had been to gather forever and he hated to see them separated.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©