3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever got an crazy deal on a bow?  (Read 729 times)

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever got an crazy deal on a bow?
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
Paid .25 cents for a Shakespeare Wonderbow.  shot a fox with it that year.  Two years ago bought a Factory cammo Bear Kodiak Mag with the brown 4 arrow screw on Bear quiver for $10.25.  10 for the bow and a quarter for the quiver.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
If I don't include the generous gifts of several trad friends, then my craziest and best deal is my most expensive. In over 30 years of bowhunting with both stickbows and compounds, I had never paid more than $190 for ANY bow. But I had an itch a couple years ago to try a heavier, TD recurve.

I checked into the classifieds here one morning and saw a Hummingbird Kingfisher TD with 2 sets of limbs and 5 or 6 extra strings (3 of them Mountain Mufflers) for $450. This would be well over $1200 new. The limbs are 71# and 82# @ my 30" draw.

I have fallen in love with this bow and while it is the most money I've ever paid for any piece of hunting equipment, it is easily the best deal I've ever gotten. Thanks Scott!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »
Bought a Bear "little Bear" recurve at a garage sale for $2. taught my 3 boys to shoot with it and now i am getting it ready for my grandson. I would say I got my money's worth, I passed on dozens of bows at ridiculous prices in the '80s just because I didnt need one- my biggest regret was at a store that sold stuff they bought at factory closeout or bankrupt businesses. they had 4 barrels stuffes with Ben Pearson, Shakespear and others makes of recurves for $10 your choice- most were hunting wieght. Wish I had a do- over on that one

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
When I was about 12 years old.I bought a Bear Kodiak Magnum for $15.I will never forget the old gentleman who sold me the bow.He was quite a character.His name was Clyde Fields,and we leased his ground for farming.Mr.Fields was in his 80's and arthritis had bent him badly.Yet I can not remember a time when Mr.Fields was not smiling, and he always had a story to tell.I still have that bow,and always will.
Bill

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
Pristine Bear Grizzly at a garage sale a few years ago for $5......

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
I picked up a no name long bow (looked home made) one time at a yard sale for 10 dollors with 4 wood arrows,i started back to the car and the lady said holdon...  you forgot the box that go's with it.the small box had 42 glue on bear heads in it.
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
I just bought a all curly maple Zipper w/ matching quiver for $295.Got a Fredrick longbow at Denton Hill for $90 also.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 12:02:00 AM »

Like new Morrison Cougar, 60", 70# @ 28", $1400 bow new, got it to my doorstep for a lot less...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »

Another like new Morrison Cougar, 60", 68# @ 27", $1250 bow new, on my doorstep for again a lot less...

Heavier bows go for quite a bit less, but those two really stick in my head as "can't pass that up!"  Especially when a guy is looking for just those type of bows!

Now, I haven't found some of the deals like you all have, but these two have made me happy...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 12:55:00 AM »
I bought a brand new BW takedown for $50 in the 70s from a Bear dealer in Sioux Falls.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 01:11:00 AM »
A few that I have made over the years:
Garage sale bows:
69 Super Kodiak $25 (thought I was paying too much but liked the way it shot)
Kodiak Magnum $5
Shakespeare Necedah $3
At an Auction: Kodiak Magnum (covered with gray primer paint, cleaned up beautiful after four hours and sold the next day for $150), 18 Bear arrows (12 with Green heads), a box of miscellaneous tips and two dozen Bear Greenies new in the package, and miscellaneous railroad hobby stuff: $18 (then sold the hobby transformer for $12 to the guy I was bidding against).
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 05:25:00 AM »
Was at a 3D shoot at a Browning dealer and saw a old box covered with dust. It was a 60 pound Browning TD bow that was never strung. It was my first FF compatable bow. He sold it to me for 200 dollars, shoots like a 50 pound bow. I get more deals in the compound shops then any other place. Got a Silvertip with a dozen arrows and two sets of limbs and case for 500 dollars last year.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »
Caleb my luck seems to go the other way where I give $100 for a bow thats worth $20. And then can't sell it for $20...
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 07:07:00 AM »
In 1984 I offered $75 for an original Bear Customm Kodiak, #1 limbs, 55# in excellent condidition.  The fellow (bulletin board @ Blythes Sportinng Goods, Valporaiso, IN) was asking $150.  I was shocked when (over the phone) he agreed!  I wasn't a recurve shooter at the time. Then, in 1996, still not shooting traditional I switched to LH shooting. I sold the bow that year to a fellow in Arkansas for $250 (his offer). I got a great deal and so did he.  

Of all the sporting equipment I've ever sold, that TD is the one I would most like to have back -- for my son.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
In 1989 I bought a 67½ SK for $25. After a couple of years, I sold the bow for $35. A few years after that I bought the bow back for $50. It’s a great shooter and I’m not letting it go again.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
Yup, after installing satellite internet for a guy and talking hunting pretty much the whole time, he pulled a Browning Nomad out of the rafters and handed it to me. He says "My draw is too long for this bow, it looks about right for you". Cool stuff, and a friend for life now.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline bctgrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
For a guy with two daughters in college and limited funds for bows, I've been blessed with a few incredible deals over the last couple of years:

1976 Kodiak Hunter 60", 50# in Excellent Condition - Free From Brother-in-law.

1966 Grizzly 58", 49# Factory Camo in good condition - $25

1969 Kodiak Hunter 60", 40# in Excellent Condition - $30 - my youngest daughter uses this one when she shoots

Late 60's Browning Safari 60", 44# in rough shape (to be refinished) - $1 at thrift store

1968 Ben Pearson 7330 Signature Take-Down 58", 50# in good condition with case - $25

And my latest and greatest find:

1960 Bear Kodiak 60", 55# in Excellent original condition - $55 at an estate sale.

Brian

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
Not as good a deal as some posted on here but I was very pleased:
  Yesterday I got a Predator Classic model recurve in almost pristine condition with 2 strings(one still sealed in the plastic, never used), 2 bow stringers(1 is a new Selway), 6 cedar arrows and a new glove for 400.00
There's not a mark on this bow, and the only reason I say "almost" is because the strike plate is a homemade affair with shaved deer hide. This bow was shipped in the original box with the reciept showing the original owner paid over 700.00. 46#'s at 28 " and a real shooter! I am very happy!
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
I would be remiss if I failed to post on this one.

I got this one as a gift from another Trad Gang member coaster500. I am still in shock and awe over such a magnificent gift. (Thank you Kip!)

Lost Creek 60" 49@28

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
When my wife ask how much I just paid for a bow  and I tell her she says I'm crazy. If that counts as a crazy good deal I've got a bunch of them.
Jack Shanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©