3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever got an crazy deal on a bow?  (Read 730 times)

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever got an crazy deal on a bow?
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
My wife brought home a 1968 Kodiak Hunter, in very good condition, from a garage sale once.  5 dollars.

Offline Warberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
The best deal all around i came across. I was on my way to Moses lake archery shoot in 2003. We stopped by a thrift shop/ fruit stand about half way there to stretch our legs. On the  3rd floor I seen a Martin Balboa 45@ 28. in unused condition. The tag said Bow and arrows 60.00. So i got the bow and box of Stemmler arrows tipped with bear razor heads unused. The Big boys from Martin archery were there at the 3d shoot so i took a piece of steel wool and rubbed the finish off enough to Have them all sign. 6 signatures on it and had Bowdoc refinish. Favorite 3d bow. Great topic. Great finds guys, Warberg

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
I bought a 60" 55# mahaska recurve a couple tears ago for $75.00. I also got a river raisin recurve for $50.00.
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
I had been fortunate as a boy.  I grew up on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska, and just about any archery equipment that was dated seemed to just pass my way.  How I miss it!  I lost all my gear...every last bit when my father got arrested for murder, and my family's cabin was seized for "evidence".  Most everything was ransacked, stolen, or vandalized and I have just now gotten the heart to look for a decent bow and get back into "flinging sticks" as my old man used to call it.  But my fondest good deal was my first "real" recurve...a Bear Black bear 35 lbs.  I got that bow for 25 cents and the promise of a rabbit hide when I was 9 years old...I spent all that summer before school started traipsing around like a threshing machine trying to get one!  But later that fall, I was fortunate enough to catch a big snowshoe literally standing for me just past my old bag target...Easy enough to take.  I got him, tanned him out, and was the happiest boy on the Kenai when I gave up that pelt.  This thread has caused a lot of memories to flood back.  Thanks all!

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
I picked up a Grumley sinew backed flat bow for my boss, $30.00.  Then bought a t/d Grumley bushmaster in the original case for $300.00 and eventually gave it to my next boss.  Haven't had a really sweet deal like that for many years.  Still on the look out for one...     :jumper:   todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline Ronyag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
I bought a Bear 72 Super K for 150.00 ....perfect shape with a dozen razor heads with spare bleeders and camo cloth limb covers. Bought a Predator Hunter for 145.00 last month with 12 cedar arrows with Wenzel Woodsmans and a camo leather quiver.
RG

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
In 2001 my wife and I bought our first house.  A friend wanted to see it so we took her over there for a tour.  The owner was still there and having a garage sale before moving, we asked we could show our friend around, no problem.  While upstairs I spot an old wood arrow leaning in a corner, thinking that's cool, I look into a closet and there is an old recurve in there, a WCE (?) 42# lefty.  It's a lovely mint green color but the limbs were straight and my wife shoots left handed, so to took it down to the old lady and offered her $5 for it.  Sold!  Still have that bow, though I painted it since it's so ugly.  Shoots great though and I'm using it to learn how to shoot left handed.  Anyone ever heard of a WCE bow?

Also got '65 Bear Grizzly from a coworker for $40.

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
Bid on and won an old Red Wing Hunter recurve (58" 45@28) in pristine condition for $35 at an auction one saturday morning.
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline TLANE

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
I've been pretty lucky over the years to stumble into some sweet deals.  I traded some old fishing equipment, probably had less than 100 invested for a 59 Kodiak, a Pearson Hunter, and an old Indian recurve.  Bought a factory camo 65 Kodiak off of a friend for 20 bucks....it is one of my favorite bows! Last but not least I picked up a lefty Bear Greenstripe TD with 55 & 60lb limbs and a nice hardcase for 300.00  The same day I sold the riser to a friend that had been looking for one for 200 so I ended up with 2 sets of limbs and a hardcase for 100 bucks and we were all very happy!  Always on the lookout for good deals but it seems like they are getting harder to find.  Last week a buddy gave me 8 Bear cedars with razorheads that had never been shot!  That was a pretty cool deal for sure!

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
Jack Howard Classic..35 bucks at an estate auction. Schafer Silvertip..250.00 ****,
David M. Conroy

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
Not a bow but I bought two Lone Wolf hang on's and a Lone Wolf climber for $50 each! At that time that was a savings of $500.

A local sports shop was selling these year old, still in the box, stands to make room for new stock.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline moose eye levi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
my buddys wife picked up an ambadextrious bear bow at a garage sale for 8 bucks with a little research found out it was made by fred himself in michigan...thats the best deal ive ever herd or saw ive personally shot the bow...its quite humbling to shoot somwthing fred himself made .
>>-->Levi Arnold<--<<

Offline JDL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
I'm usually the victim of these kind of deals...

Within the last year, my wife took my hunting boots and dryjoys to salvation army(on accident)and my mother sold a $500 bike I left at her house for $50 at a garage sale...She was so excited when she gave me the money!  :knothead:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©