3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Eating predators?  (Read 1076 times)

Offline jomama

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Eating predators?
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
mountian lion tast great.

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
For some reason mt. lion seems like eating bear to me, as for the rest of em, i think my belly button would have to be scratching my backbone for me to eat them.
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
Had some dog in Afghanistan.  It wasn't coyote, obviously, but the diet would have been similar.  It was edable, but I probably wouldn't pay a lot for it.  Haven't tried any of the other fine fare listed here thus far.   ;)
Silence is golden.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
Never eaten one but enjoy walking into the bank when the ladies are discussing their cats. My normal response is, I like cats, but just can't eat a whole one by myself. Expressions on their faces, priceless.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
Bear , mountain lion and Lynx are Greaatt ! I can hardly skin a Wolf they smell so bad!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
I was taught never order anything from the menu with a frisbee in its mouth.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
Speaking of liver poisoning, I have read in several wilnderness books that shark liver can be deadly. Probably not commonplace, but most likely that acoastal archer might take a shark with a bow.One source said that a single serving could be very serious, indicating that there is a severe concentration of vitamin A in the liver. Yes, it is an essentiel nutrient, but if this source is right, it is toxic in large amounts. I have never eaten any of these predators listed, and under normal circumstances would probly pass them up. But I have eaten horse and liked it.
Sam

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
35 years ago, bought 5 dozen homemade tamales from a Mexican lady selling door to door. My buddy Jose swore they were from her mean Chow she'd kept chained outside her house. We never saw that dog again. Chased my tail & howled at the moon the rest of the weekend. No tamales since.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline PM_Mining

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
This is one reference I could find about dog liver.  I don't know where I learned originally not to eat them from predators, specifically dogs though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_A

The liver of certain animals — including the polar bear, seal, and husky — is unsafe to eat because it is extraordinarily high in vitamin A. This danger has long been known to the Inuit and has been recognized by Europeans since at least 1597 when Gerrit de Veer wrote in his diary that, while taking refuge in the winter in Nova Zemlya, he and his men became severely ill after eating polar bear liver.[5] In 1913, Antarctic explorers Douglas Mawson and Xavier Mertz were both poisoned, the latter fatally, from eating the liver of their sled dogs.[6]

Vitamin A itself was not discovered until 1917.

The livers of many other animals have lower levels of vitamin A and are commonly eaten.

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
The only " PREDATOR" I ever ate was a "nutty" chipmunk that tried to attack me in my treestand. He ran up my leg onto my chest and straight into my startled mouth !!! He took the lower left side of my lip off as I "CHOMPED" down on his main artery in his neck. Since I used up a bunch of energy ... I figured "what the heck" and put him down the food pipe. Not bad at all !!!  :)  
Just another normal day in the Ohio woods.... Jeff

p.s. Don't ever eat one ...gave me "crazy GAS !!! Just ask my dogs !!!!
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline SMA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
Could not get past the smell of a yote.I would have to be five minutes from starving to death before eating one.

Offline Possum2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
I've eaten gar very good filet meat but there is a warning the eggs are very toxic will make you deafly ill. Spent 10 days in ICU and no I didn't eat the eggs it came from cleaning the gar. Its been hard to eat much of it now, until bowfishing starts again!
Martin Jaguar 60" 50@28
RER Vortex longbow 62" 46@28
Zipper Extreme 60" 55@28

Offline Nor'easter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
Bobcat good, coyote bad.
60" Border Ultra hexIV 58@28
60" Border Ultra hexV 53@28
58" Robertson FatalStyk 52@28

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
I guess the only sort of predator I've tried was raccoon. I didn't care for it...way to greasy for me.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
I ain`t eating no dang `yote.

Maybe lion backstraps, if someone else cooked them.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
never ate a predator....doubt i ever will.have a friend who's family eats anything that don't eat them first.....  "[dntthnk]"
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline unregistered

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
Hmmmmm, anyone trade a Black Widow to see this bowhunter eat Coyote lol. Thanks for the posts folks, I think I will give predator hunting a try.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
I have a friend that's an outfitter in British Columbia,his favorite all time meal is a cougar roast.  Says its better then moose and caribou.  Well never tried it but would if giventhe chance.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
Grilled raccoon is a mite on the greasy side, but if my long term memory is correct, it's goes down fairly easy if enough Jack Daniels is involved.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
I have ate mountain lion and bobcat, both were excellent. The edge going to mountain lion, very much like pork. I have also tried raccoon, fox, bear and coyote. Did not care for any of them but would eat them again if prepared right most anything could be OK! Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©