3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Eating predators?  (Read 1074 times)

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Eating predators?
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
Lynx is excellent, but very dry.  Have skunned a number of wolves and there tends to be a light smell thats tough to take, gets worse over time, so never tried the meat.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
I've eat the bob cat and it was prety good and I'd eat it again, but I'm gona be fresh outa possums and skunks before I eat a coyote
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2010, 05:17:00 AM »
Raccoons are super good if they are real young; and the meat is white.
 Mountain lion is probably the best wild meat there is- its like veal.
 Possums are very good; one guy wanted to solve the world food crisis by growing zucchinis- and feeding the left overs to opossums. I think that has some merit.
 I had skunk once; and it was not revolting- it was in a lot of barbecue sauce at a game dinner.

I am not a liver liker; and I am a puppy people- so I have no intention of trying dog.

I had a hundred elk tonight in my hay pile; and when I went out to shoo them off- ( 2:30 am) there were wolves howling to the north of me.... perhaps I will be able to comment on wolf ( I have a tag!).
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2010, 06:31:00 AM »
30 yrs. ago a guy I know had a pit bull. It nipped his son and within an hour that mutt was on the grill.
Tom

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
The only thing I've ever had the stones to try was cougar.  I will admit...it was delicious.  Think lean pork (my take on it).

The meat came from a native CO cowboy, who had been in the outfitting business on the west slope for many moons.  His favorite thing to do was chase cats in Jan/Feb with his string of dogs.  He said he had never heard of someone actually eating them until a client who booked with him asked if everyone packed the meat out.  He laughed and told him no one eats cat.....the client tells him he doesn't know what he's missing.  Ya really have to know this ol' boy.....anyway, the comment gets his mind to thinking and long story short, he eventually carries some meat back after a client gets one.....the rest as they say is history.  From what I gather, every cat they got from then on, the meat was kept. I remember him claiming one time that someone from Denver actually wanted to buy the meat.

Anyhow....someone figured out the cat meat thing long ago.

As for canines....let's just say we own dogs....seeing them in cages destined for consumption in certain parts of Asia is not a good memory.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
I ate the entire mountain lion in my avatar.  Cut it into steaks.  Was great!  Only problem was:  For a couple weeks, I kept rubbing around on the couch legs and hissing when the wife asked me to work on the honey do list.  :biglaugh:

Offline Ryan High

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
No way I would even try yote they are nasty critters but I would probably try mountain lion though if I had the chance.

Offline RecurveJim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
I got a yote the first week of shotgun in MA and seriously contemplated eating it,the meat looked really nice,if I was trying to survive id definately  eat it,i guess the reason i didnt was cuz i had deer in the freezer from bow season.I was also concerned about getting a disease although I have never heard of any other than rabies

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
Only true predator for me was Black Bear which was surprisingly good. I would eat bear again.

All the others only if I was hungry enough... Then anything will taste good.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
About fell out of the chair reading some of these posts.  

"but I'm gona be fresh outa possums and skunks before I eat a coyote"

What can you say?  

Lion is pretty good, and is compared to pork quite a bit.  Feral cats have to be the same.  I think if somebody came up with a really good recipe for feral cats, our song bird populations would soar.
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2010, 03:07:00 AM »
Im hurting from laughing. Came real close to eating a coyote after i skined it out looked good , was in the woods too long . Me and my buddy chickend out . I think I would if someone did it with me.Could get one with mange that way you would not have to burn the hair off.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Cottonmouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Two Tracks:
Mt.Lion
Bear
Gator
Shark(lots of fish are predetors I guess)
Turtle
coon
woodchuck
stuff overseas that I don't want to know.
Lion and bear are my best, no doubt.
Can't do the dog thing tho(I'm like Mike)
Woodchucks are predators?   :scared:
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."  Robert A. Heilein

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
In the Lewis and Clark Diary Cpt Lewis is speaking in the highest manner of eating dog and wolf, he writes dog tastes liek beaver and while the meat of deer and "wapetoe" was not nutritious enough during the winter the ones that ate dog got healthier and better. At the end he even prefers dog over most other meat and buys them from the indians for eating purpose.

I definately  could eat a dog, but not unless i have to. But, when i think of it, my girl friends dog is named "pork-chop"   ;)
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
Mountain Lion is absolutely delicious and I ate dog while I was in Korea and it was mighty good also but I haven't had that since I got out of the Army in 93.  Another meat most folks in the U.S. don't thibk about that is very good is Horse.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline chadt1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
OOPS   i thought you ment BLACK WIDOWS eating PREDATOR BOWS

HA HA HA HA HA
Dixie Bowmen Archery Club Virginia Trophy Hunters
Blackwidow- PSAX Crossgrain 45@28
Fedora Xtrema- 45@28

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
Fred Eichler and his wife ate some bobcat the other day on his predator hunting show. said it was real good
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
I had mountain lion once and thought it was good. Found many things good when doing Marine Corp survival school training. Well, at least good at the time.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Only predators i actualy ate were fish. Ohh and once a can of crocodile, tasted like mud with urine in jelly.   "[dntthnk]"
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
I ate dog while living in the Philippines when social courtesy was called for. It was O.K. The only time I refused was when my Karate Instructor tried feeding me some of a dog I raised and gave him. It was at my Blackbelt Promotion party. I didn't know he was going to eat it when I gave it to him. I wouldn't eat Coyote unless I was starving.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
Bear is also my only consumed mammal predator. Not too shabby!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©