3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Weight tubes  (Read 356 times)

Offline Possum2

• Trad Bowhunter
Weight tubes
« on: January 16, 2010, 02:58:00 AM »
Does any one use weight tubes to bump the weight? Does it stiffen the spine any at all? 35-55 with 8gr per ince tubes 29" arrow and minus the length of nock and insert =220gr to the arrow.
Martin Jaguar 60" 50@28
RER Vortex longbow 62" 46@28
Zipper Extreme 60" 55@28

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Weight tubes
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »
i have, in the past.  didn't affect spine for me to any noticeable flight degree.  unless wedged in well, upon arrow impact the tubes wanna blow out the nock.  these dayze i'd rather concentrate the weight up front.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 07:00:00 AM »
Weight tubes are a good way to acheive the wanted mass to your arrow;they don't affect the spine since they are placed in the correct way,the other drawback is they tend to blow out the nocks.So to cure those 2 problems you can glue them behind the insert or press the tube every few inches in a way that it make a kind of resistence going in the shaft.You need also to be very careful about their lenght,too short they will move too long you'll start to have problems with your nocks.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline sj_lutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
I've not noticed any spine impact with mine, I'm shooting 3GPI tubes in my GT3555's.  The nock thing can be a bit of a problem, but as mentioned a little glue can fix that.  Keep in mind that adding the weight to the shaft will decrease your FOC a bit.

Offline Jerry Ragle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 07:39:00 AM »
i use 3 gr per in in my 3555s if you bend them slightly every 2 or 3 in as oyu put them in shaft it helps on the nock thing.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
Personally, I hated them, they messed with my spine, banged around inside no matter how I trimmed them and as Rob said blew out the nocks.
I use front weight to add weight now and really like it.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
After trying everything to shoot carbons with some "heft" to them I have to agree with those who do it with weight up front.  Everything else being equal, the weight of an arrow will not help you very much if it is not flying straight. Improper tuning or bow/arrows matching are the main reasons, IMO, for people getting poor penetration.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
Weight tube = Pain in the butt.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline kybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
Good info. Check this one off my list!!   :thumbsup:

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
I've had nothing but good luck with my weight tubes.   :readit:

Offline Possum2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
I saw a video on 3 rivers about weight tubes an the instructer said to take a needle nose pliers and pinch in 45% angle every 4" It was really tight. What about using glue in nock adapters and use nirk nocks? Just a thought!

Thanks for all the info. let me know some pros and cons.
Martin Jaguar 60" 50@28
RER Vortex longbow 62" 46@28
Zipper Extreme 60" 55@28

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
I tryed them.When i bare shaft tuned,they made my arrows fly funny.Even though i messed with the string nock and brace height and tip weight.Kinda flew like a cork screw.They were the 5gr. per inch tubes.I tryed the 3gr. per inch with better results.
Harold Wetzler

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
I didn't really like 'em either, so now i've got a bunch of old ones lying around.  Was kind of thinking of gluing say a 10" section behind the insert for sort of a hybrid approach.-might work.
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
I tried weight tubes and it did mess with my spine,but I used the heavy ones. I did have some funny flight bareshafting. Pinch my tubes and didn't have any trouble with the nocks coming out. I am with Rob I like weight up front much better. I do have some 8 grain tubes from three rivers you can have,yea I do actually have these ones! LOL

Offline stickhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
i use plastic hay bale twine, can get it in 3 sizes. will not change spine, won't pop out nocks, and no noise. any one that feeds hay will give it away.

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
To the original question...I've used all the available weights extensively, including months of bareshaft testing.  The addition of weight tubes WEAKENS dynamic spine in incremental amounts...more gpi = increased spine deflection.  I had some data that is not at my fingertips and the best I can remember the 3 gpi tubes had the net effect of an addtional 50 gr. of point weight, 5 gpi was like adding 75 gr. to point, etc.

I cut most of mine to fit tightly and didn't have problems with standard push-in nocks blowing out.  If I left a little room for the tube in the shaft...yes, they would blow the nock out.  Easily remedied by above options of pinching the tube or a small spot of glue.

Joe

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
I tried them briefly also.More of a pain than anything.One of the things I really disliked the most,was how much they varied in weight within a dozen.I needed them 26" long and one had to be cut 5" shorter to get it to weigh the same.I threw them out and gave up weighting shafts.

I now put that weight up front.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
weight tubes changed the spine every time I tried them. Pain in the rear for sure!

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
i concurr with the weight up front rether than within.Can't go wrong with Brass inserts and eavy Heads!!

Offline Quinn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
Same problem, blew out the nocks. Got to be a real pain. Went to 100gr brass inserts instead, got the same weight increase and the extra foc.
"If you put the federal government in charge of the  Sahara Desert , in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."   ~ Milton Friedman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©