3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When do your bucks shed?  (Read 768 times)

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
When do your bucks shed?
« on: January 16, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
I WENT OUT YESTERDAY ON THE LAST DAY OF OUR SEASON HEAR IN OK

I PASSED UP A YOUNG BUCK WITH ONE ANTLER AND SAW ANOTHER NICE BUCK ALSO WITH ON ANTLER

I KNOW THAT NUTRITION PLAYS A ROLE IN SHEDDING BUT WAS JUST WONDERING WHEN YOUR BUCKS NORMALLY SHED IN DIFFERNET AREAS OF THE COUNTRY

Sorry about the capitals my key board was stuck on caps lock.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When do your bucks shed?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
I've seen bucks that lost their antlers on trail cameras as early as December 10th in my area in WI.  Around here it seems to depend a good bit on the weather (snowfall and temps).
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
I've  been seeing quite a few here in Pa without antlers.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline wvboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
I have picts of 6 different bucks from 2 weeks ago that had all their headgear.  From last year I have picts of two half racks taken on the 22nd of Feb.  I live in southern MD.

Offline jomama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
i've seen racks as late as spring gobbler season in va.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?  All caps are hard to read bud....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline 4 point

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
We have had a bad winter here and alot of deer have lost their horns. I have found 20 sheds in the last week.

Offline knd2970

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
In wisconsin, This year the deer are stressed with all the high hunting presure and the low number of animals state wide. I also have seen deer without there head gear dec 16. Right now, most of the deer have shed there horns in my area.
Turkey Creek Longbow 48# 28"
Bear Super Mag 50#
Bear Grizzly 50#
Bear Kodiak Mag 65#

“True Old-School Woodsmanship!”

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
I shot one Dec 5th and had both antlers fall off when I went to drag him. I also saw one March 1st with full headgear.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
I have seen the deer in my area loose thier antlers at a variety of times. Some as early as mid december and as late as the frist week of march. Most seem to loose thier's in mid february. I personaly think it might be the differance between being an early or late fawn the year they were born. But thats just my thoughts. I went for a drive around town last week and I seen this buck but seen another 20 with thier horns still on.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
Horn growth and shedding is directly related to testosterone levels in bucks. When testosterone levels rise in late summer the velvet begins to shed and after the rut, when all available does are bred testosterone levels begin to drop, and so do the antlers. Generally the dominant bucks will be the last to shed as they are still seeking any doe that comes into heat.
  A few years ago my wife and I were in Cades Cove, in the Great Smoky Mountains in late march. All but two dominant bucks had shed there antlers and the dominant bucks were still chasing a few hot does.
  The photo period probably has an effect because antler growth and the rut are effected by the amount of daylight hours.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
About now!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Here in N Idaho the earliest I found a match set was Dec. 29th.  The flip side of that is last year I spotted a buck packing both sides in early March!  I'd say the norm around here would be most bucks have dropped by early Feb. and I start finding lots of sheds by second or third week of Jan.

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
I know here in Washington some will drop in late December or early January.

I photographed a buck last year on March 22, and he still had both sides.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
This past year I saw a nice buck with one side on Dec. 15th 2009.  He was one I was after but with one side I'm hoping I'll have a crack at him next season.

Offline bozara

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
Saw a dozen mulies yesterday with their headgear in place.
65# @ 27" Dale Dye one piece recurve
62# @ 27" Dale Dye TD recurve
58# @ 27" Dale Dye Medicine Point RC
65# Montana Bow Works long bow

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dirtybird:
This past year I saw a nice buck with one side on Dec. 15th 2009.  He was one I was after but with one side I'm hoping I'll have a crack at him next season.
I think they started shedding a little earlier hear in Ohio this year than they have in about the past 10 years.  The bucks I see in the beggining of January usually have their antlers, but this year they seemed to have started shedding them around the middle of December.  Got kinda cold earlier than usual this year.   (I think)

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
About 8 Dec on Kodiak one year, I shot 3 bucks.  Had to search in the snow for all the antlers which fell off when they rolled down the hill.

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
In 2007, I picked up the first fresh shed on December 16. On December 17 in 2008. I found the first one this season right around Christmas. It was kicked off, not shed naturally. I watched a buck shed his remaining antler last February. He shook his head like he had water in his ears and it went flying. I couldn't believe how far he threw it; probably 30-35 feet from where he was standing. I believe they are shedding earlier than they used to twenty years ago. I think the cold has something to do with it but also stress caused by better sex ratios and more competition between bucks due to QDM. I had a big nontypical walk past me last Wednesday but I'd say 75% of our bucks are already shed right now.

Offline Chad Duit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
I shot a young buck on the last day of season here (Jan. 15th) that had already shed his antlers. I thought it was a doe or I would not have taken the shot, guess I was too concentrated on picking a spot and didn't look close enough! I will try and pay better attention next year!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©