3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When do your bucks shed?  (Read 767 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: When do your bucks shed?
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
Mentioned this earlier in another thread but yesterday I jumped a giant 5x5 with a 12 inch drop off his main beam. Headgear intact. I found one smaller 4 pt shed...I am hoping I find that beasts' shed. I just got permission to hunt that small farm and was thinking it is perfect habitat for a Booner. Guess I was right!
Mike Davenport

Online ohiodoeslayer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
My trail cam showed two bucks shed on Jan 13 they both had full racks on the 12th. 3rd buck shed half on 16th and one still has both sides. Have not checked pictures today
God doesn't need me to be who he is but I need God to be who I need to be

Offline Forrest Creature 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
Now that are snow is melting the last two times I was out I have found 8 sheds 2 complete sets and 4 singles. Last year I found over 30 most early in Jan. But when I was out today I saw a buck with both sides still on.  :campfire:

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
Of the three bull moose in our yard yesterday only the fork bull had shed a antler.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
I have gotten trail cam photos in late Feb. down here in Bama of bucks with full head gear.

It blows my mind that some of you guys are already finding sheds.

I had no idea those northern bucks dropped so early.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Always an interesting topic for me. Some bucks have already shed their antlers around here and a buddy mistakenly shot a shed buck that he thought was a doe with a muzzleloader Sunday. Been taking late winter deer counts and notes in Ohio for years, and from personal observation and what gathered - aside from the health of the animal, shed timing is individual and personally believe it is genetics. Haven't been able to find that in writing anywhere and not a lot of scientific info on the subject I could find, but it’s been written and confirmed by deerfarmers that “healthy” bucks shed within a couple days of the same date year after year. Size of the antler doesn't seem to matter either. Of course, wounds, bad health or stress can alter the timing.

Normal conditions in my area, a few will shed in late December, although a few may carry into or through April, (once seen full blown rutting activity by a racked buck on April 13th) but the peak casting time here is around mid-February thru mid March.

Most regrowth begins in late April or May, and throughout the summer, individual bucks can be seen at different stages of development at the same time.

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
The other morning when i left my house at 5:30 there were 15 deer in my side yard with one boomer 8 point. I think normally in central NJ about the middle of feb. but i have seen bucks in early march in years with a mild winter. It also depends on how much breeding that they have done.
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
Here in Ohio(southeastern) it is the earliest I've ever seen them shed.  Found one antler on Dec. 15th 2009.  Went out today for a bit and found seven sheds.  Saw plenty of deer and only one with headgear still attached.  Are season doesn't end for a couple more weeks but it looks like I'm eating tag soup with that loser Gene.   :bigsmyl:

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
Late December to early April...and everything in between.  I would guess most years that 80% are down by about March 10 or so, but I know in early March I always see bucks still carrying.  This in east central Nebraska.  Found both sides of a gnarly spike the other day, but there's a fellow in NE Nebraska who's already found a bunch; we are REALLY stressed in eastern Nebraska with lots of very difficult snow and it's not likely to go away anytime soon, and there are some that believe it accelerates shedding.  I can't say if that's true or not.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Saw 3 mature bucks today all with antlers in tack!  Saw 4 other smaller bucks this week all with full head gear.

Southeastern PA

Offline machomanandysavage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
I saw a 4 point this morning on my way to work with both antlers intact. Some years I have seen them with antlers dropped in mid December, and last year I got a lot of trail cam pics with bucks with big bald spots in early January. I think it just depends on the temperature/ snow fall amounts. This year has been off and on cold/warm with very little snowfall in my part of mid-Michigan.
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 02:03:00 AM »
Here in SE Alaska, I have been watching a buck with antlers since the season ended Dec 31.(Of course) He has taken up residence in a small area that I stump shoot, and we seem to play a little game where I find him and then he circles around and follows me for about an hour.
I don't approach close enough to spook him, but he has come curious to me within 20 yards. I saw him last week, will check on him again tomorrow or the next day weather permitting. I hope to collect the shed antlers, so will keep looking even if he moves out and I stop seeing him.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 05:26:00 AM »
They've been loosing them in CT since Dec. I hit the shed woods hard around third week of Feb. I think most of the bigger deer have dropped by then.

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
... when I get them home from the hunt..LOL! Sorry I seen a few already here in Ohio this week..Jeff
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline RecurveJim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Here in MA,late Dec.-mid jan

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
Antler shedding and testosterone may be connected, but have a hard time believing or agreeing bucks are provided with only a certain amount of testosterone and it can be used up - theory.

Still think its genetics.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
I've seen alot of does and a few small bucks plus I've done quite-a-bit of walking and no sheds. I'd say middle of Feb. Jason

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
Blacktails usually around the first of April...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
around here (southern NY and SW CT) they drop anytime between mid Dec and I have seen antlered deer 2 times in late march. I hunted CT on monday and saw a really good 8pt, a 110" 8pt, 2 spikes and  two 4 pointers. The young bucks were sparring and chasing a yearling doe around. I saw between 60 and 80 deer total....man they are yarding up in the oaks. I couldn't hunt this afternoon but got a few minutes to glass the area midday and saw the 115" 8pt again. all the bucks still had both sides. we'll see if i can get an arrow into something tomorrow!

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
I can confirm that it appears the deer in southern NY are still carrying headwork with them.  Spied a 2.5 year old 8 walking around a group of does yesterday.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©