3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Canadian Trad. only bear camp??  (Read 607 times)

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Canadian Trad. only bear camp??
« on: January 16, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
Just throwing it out there.....is there a market for something like this? I have nothing to sell as of now and am not looking to use this thread as a marketing tool but rather simply asking for feedback in regards to starting something like a trad. only camp here in Manitoba.

I am already licensed as an outfitter, and know of some bear outfits for sale, and would LOVE to build a business around the kind of hunters you find here on the "Gang".

Any info. would help
...what kind of accomodations do guys prefer (cabins/teepees/yurts...etc.)
...available trad. range with "fun" target set-ups.
...is fishing while here that important?
...how many guys would you like to see in camp at a time..3..6...9? (each guide can guide 3 hunters here so that's why it's in 3's)

Thanks for your time....Ryan

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Canadian Trad. only bear camp??
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
I'm not sure how tough it would be to do an only trad only bear camp. Although I envy your wishes, I'm just not sure the economy will allow trad only. With that said, you could try to do trad only and see what happens. If it doesn't work then try certain weeks for trad only. Anyhow, enough of that. I would think 6 is a good solid number. I guess that would depend on the number of baits and help you will have. As far as accomodations, to me it doesn't matter. I love a good tent camp. Cabins are OK too, but tent hunting seems to bring everyone together more(IMO). Fishing is fun but doesn't make or break me when I'm looking for a camp.
This is all just my opinion. Hope it all works out for ya. And us!!!!

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
I think it's a good idea that's worth exploring.  With the size of your bears and the great color phases, I think a fairly priced hunt would be popular.

Accomodations:  as long as they're warm and dry it shouldn't matter too much, although something unique like teepees or yurts might be an added draw for some folks.  Just so hot showers are available!  Edit to add:  good toilets, too, not just "memorable" outhouses.

Range:  nice, but no something that's going to make or break a hunt.  One or two targets plus a broadhead bag is enough to keep most guys happy and dialed-in.

Fishing:  if a guys tags out early, fishing would be an excellent option.  Would also offer something for a non-hunting companion.

Number in camp:  I would go for six, max.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
Ryan,

What knife river said! A quality trad bear hunt is on my short list, along with several others like Moose, and Caribou.  

You'd also likely need to provide some decent credentials, as to your potential for achieving a good success rate for your hunters, since you don't already have an "established" guide service.

Fishing is a great way to occupy the morning/early afternoon hours between running baits, etc.  From what I can ascertain; most of the best action seems to be on the late afternoon hunts.

Although it might be difficult to make this a full-time endeavor, I'd imagine that you could book at least a hand full of trad hunters each year, based on quality/production of your hunts.  

Good luck in your idea, sounds great!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
The only thing I would add to whats already been said, numberswise, take only what you can handle and handle well. You know the old saying, "You have to learn how to walk before you can run". Provide a good honest hunt at a resaonable price and build an exceptional reputation. Something else, have plans A, B, C, etc. inplace. No need to fly by the seat of your pants, guy's can tell if your just winging it. All the best to you.

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
I too think this would be something worth exploring as I would prefer to hunt with someone who is familiar with the limitations of trad gear.

I agree with Knife River on the warm and dry accomodations and I would actually prefer teepees or yurts but it wouldn't be a necessity.

As far as a range, I don't think I would find a use for an extravagant range as stumps are more fun to shoot, but a few targets around camp are always nice.

Fishing too would be a nice option but maybe a cases by case offering.

I agree with leatherneck and knife river that 6 would be the best number IMHO.

Hope this helps and hopefully you can pull something together.

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys! I too was leaning towards 6 hunters, and agree that there isn't anything better for practice than stumpin'.

As far as Trad. only....that would be my goal, but may need to allow wheel guys if needed...(to pay the bills, and meet quotas) I know for sure that it would only be a bowhunting camp...with the exception of physically challenged individuals. I already have a great career but feel that there is something worth sharing up here that i could do on the side. Fingers crossed it will work out one day. Thanks again...Ryan

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
I personally would love something like that. Please keep us informed on this one  :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Eldon jandreau of Portage, Maine, runs a bear service. He is a long bow shooter and would love to guide only trad bowhunters. However, there are just not enough who can afford it so he guides anyone who shoots a legal weapon.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
I would use an outfitter service just if it is a trad only camp.
Then what a pleasure to share a campfire.
Otherwise I would do a DIY hunt

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
That is definetly some thing I'd do!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
I think you know where I stand...first in line!

I don't think guys care that much about lodging...the key to me about lodging would be NO BUGS and a way to take a hot shower.

Number of guys in camp...6-8 would be fine. As long as you can feed them and take care of them with fresh, active baits; I can't imagine anyone complaining.

I'd like to be able to fish and can always find a place to shoot my bow.

If you need someone in the states to go to some of the traditional shows to man a booth and sign up hunters, I'd do that too.

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
Steve, I'd help ya!!!

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
For sure fishing and targets are very welcome in any camp and a hot shower is a must have,but fairly rates and good hunting success are the first choice of any bowhunter.I think you can easily find 6-8 guys,it is important if you can managr them.I am interested keep it posted.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline momo-t

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
Hey Guys if this ever gets off the ground you guys are in for a real treat.
Although I haven't talked to him lately, if there's one thing about Ryan is that he knows bears. This and his true passion for bowhunting is a combination that is hard to match. Coupled that with a supreme hunting location and it will certainly produce some awesome memories.  Good luck with this project and hopefully it will see the light.
Hill Big Five
2 Bear Longbows,  Montana/ Bruin

Cari-bow Silverfox longbow
The harder I work
The luckier I get

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
Well, I would be in on this!  I may only go every few years, but would love to participate in a trad only camp.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Yep..Steve O is #1 on the list...he's had it locked down tight for the past few months.

...Thanks for the kind words Mo...and for passing on all those bucks that I end up shooting at. Your restraint has given me some nice mounts!

I really think that bowhunting bears in Manitoba is one of the best things our province has to offer.I grew up hunting bears, my 1st word was "bear" (that's no lie), I guided bear hunters to put myself through university, and am now at that place in life to own my own outfit for bear hunters. The process will take a while but I'll be a sponsor here when it all gets ironed out. Thanks everyone...Ryan

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
I think you have a good idea there. I would certainly make the trip to a place like that for a bear hunt. Keep us updated. If you make it work I would be in line.
Good luck.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
Nice idea. Always good to see something like this specializing in Trad only. Granted it will be a smaller crowd to "market" from, for you. You just have to get the same "number" of hunters but from a smaller pie to accomplish your goals.
I like the 6 hunters but if you need to make it 9 to pay the bills so be it as long as you can keep 9 happy. I like a more social(numbers) camp anyway. Fishing is a plus. I would not go all out on a range. Some 3d bears would be nice practice but bags hone me in good too. If elevated shooting is going to be the norm a place to practice that is a plus. As far as Lodging....warm and dry, are my two favorite words whether it be a tent or more permanent situation. Keep us posted especially ones that responded to this! Happy Hunters will get the word out for you!!!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
I'd go for the trad only also,with no more than 6 in camp.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©