3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recovering deer with a dog  (Read 738 times)

Offline oh-bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Recovering deer with a dog
« on: January 16, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
My family just got a puupy dacshund golden retriever mix.  wanted to know if any one can give me some advice for training her to recover deer.  She is 7 weeks old.  Thanks for your help.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recovering deer with a dog
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
PM Ryan Rotthar and he can give you some good pointers.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline oh-bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Thanks Leatherhead

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
LEATHERNECK!!!!!! not leatherhead. lol:   :bigsmyl:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
Get you the book "Tracking Dogs for finding Wounded Deer". Great book wrote by folks that have been doing this a long time with lots of good advice. I've been training my JacK Beagle mix and she's been doing great till lately we've had three feet of snow and neither of us venturing to far from the house!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by leatherneck:
LEATHERNECK!!!!!! not leatherhead. lol:    :bigsmyl:  
Same thing..........

Marty McMahon trained his beagle by dragging her back onto the bloodtrail everytime she got off of it. It only took him about 2 years that way but I wouldn't recommend it.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
The puppy obviously had some very determined and creative parents and should be a good tracker!  :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
Like LC recommended the book is a must read.

Also get lots of liver, hide, and blood for training.

I am no expert but if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
:goldtooth:  

Semper FI
Bill

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
Exactly!  Thank God for leatherheads

:notworthy:
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
Well my dad was a leatherneck and my son. So I guess I'll go with marine.  Proud to be the son and the father of one.

BTW use blood and hides to get the dog going and make it fun with rewards.  It will be good for both of you.

Mike (always a marine at heart)
Mike Westvang

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
Leatherheads played kiddie football us leathernecks belong to the worlds largest gunning club and we play for keeps.Semper Fi my brothers.Biggie and oh-bowhunter must have some army in the loins
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with Army personal.. I'm proud to have served in The Greatest Army on Earth... The U.S.Army, But I have Brother's & Sister's in all the other Services.

Now back to Our Show....

In the off season how do you train Your dog.. I mean if you use tree rats will the dog even go and look for deer or hogs? or would they only go trailing tree rats?

Offline Al Natural

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
First off I am not a professional trainer. A blood tracking dog if trained properly tracks blood. The dog by training knows what the task at hand is by the collar, the command and if the dog is on lead or off lead.  Can a dog that has not been bred to blood track find deer? I'm sure they could.  If you are serious about purchasing a blood tracking dog do yourself a favor and do your homework.  Before you spend the time and effort in trying to train a dog to blood track, you might as well start with a breed that has proven it self.
Al

Offline tex4k

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 01:41:00 AM »
I'm not a proffesional by any stretch of the imanination but one thing I have learned is get the book and when you start laying trails for training watch your dogs reactions and learn how he runs a trail. That way when your out on a bonfide trail for yourself or someone else you'll know what the dog is doing and not be persuaded into making the dog go where you or someone else thinks he should be going. You have to believe in the dog, after all if you could smell what he does he wouldn't be needed in the first place. When you put the dog down you have to know that he's on the trail of a wounded animal, if not you both need more training and practice. It's better explained in the book, that's why that guy writes books and I'm just another redneck from Texas.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 02:43:00 AM »
I've used my Boykin 4 times over the years. She's 10.  Never trained her at all, but she hunts anything that moves.  I put her on the leash, showed her blood, and then about got a shoulder dislocated.

Some are naturals and she must be.  I only do it as a last resort and this year she tracked one after 15 hours and light rain.  

She does not trail healthy deer. (shock collar)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
oh-bowhunter,

Biggest thing is just start the pup on some blood/liver even beef.  Read the Jeanneney's book...but most importantly have fun & form a good bond with the dog.  If pup has the tracking instinct, it will pick it up.  

Training a tracking dog is kinda like traditional archery or fly fishing.  The more you read or get advise, the more overwhelmed you get...just do it!  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
GET THE BOOK!!!!  It's worth every dime, not to mention a good read.  

The problem I run into regularly is the dog wanting to go one way and I see the trail going another.  Dog already knows where the deer is (smells body) why should he bother following the blood trail.  TRUST THE DOG!

Bowmania

Bridger this year - 3 deer and 2 bear.  Five years old 11 deer and 4 bear.  Yellow lab.
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline lil jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
my drathaar tracked 1 of my deer and my dads deer this year. we started him off by using pigs blood or chicken blood and letting him sniff that while he was a puppy. then when we cant find the deer we either let him sniff the arrow or put him on wat blood we could find. even if there is no blood he can just keep going where he smells the deer went and he finds it
I dont hunt to live, I live to hunt... It's better to be the preditor than the prey

Offline oh-bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
Thank you guys for all the info.  Sorry Leatherneck,  my brother and stepdad are leathernecks.  Veitnam and Iraq.  No disrespect meant.  Thanks to all servicemen for there sacrifices to keep us safe and free.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©