3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recovering deer with a dog  (Read 739 times)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recovering deer with a dog
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
You will find tracking with a dog is as much fun as hunting.  Plus if you ever thought you were a good tracker, you are in for a big surprise.  

As strange as it seems, NOT finding a deer/bear is probably more important than recovery.  A good dog can follow a non-mortally wounded animal a long way.  You will learn a lot on the evasive tactics of that animal and also know that it will survive.

My dog Tilly has taught me a lot plus her pups have already tracked and found three deer before the age of four months...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
This is our first dog for blood tracking, so I am not an expert on the subject either.  As most guys said, get John's book, it is a great resource.  Look at their information on the web (borntotrack.com).  If you look at Jolanta's blog she put up a post about our pup (a smooth haired dachshund) around the 1st week of Jan.

The big thing we learned very quickly was to progress the tracks as your dog progresses and don't let him get bored.  We started by dragging a piece of deer meat (like the size of a tennis ball) on a string, wetting it occasionally with the diluted blood that comes off of thawing meat, and aging the track only a couple hours.  This was great for him at 8-9 weeks, but he quickly got bored with these tracks.  We progressed to dripping diluted blood (like 2-3 tablespoons of raw deer blood diluted to a quart with water) and making longer, more difficult tracks.  By 12 weeks old he was doing tracks 300-400 yards long, with several 90 degree turns, that had been aged up to 12 h. Since about 15 weeks of age our tracks have gotten much more advanced.  There is NO WAY we can use raw deer blood with Oskar without diluting it, because at this stage of his development he'll wind it at 50-100 yards ahead and try to cut the corner to get to it (like Bowmania said about carcass winding).  This is OK for finding deer, but for training I want him to stay close to the line at this time, I'm sure he will mature out of this phase.

Oskar found his first deer at 12 weeks old, and found 12 deer this season (all by the time he was 5 months old).  2 of these tracks were 500 and 800 yards long.  If your dog has the focus and drive you'll be surprised with his progress.  Any dog has the nose (and more) to do it, that part is easy, it takes the focus and ability to concentrate, and a handler that can read what the dog is doing to make it work.

I think the hardest thing for many owners is getting the dog on enough real tracks.  We made a dedicated effort to get Oskar on 10 recoveries his first year.  I want him to average at least 15 recoveries a year going forward.  This takes alot of work and dedication, but I don't know how a dog that tracks 2-3 deer a year can ever reach his full potential.

Ryan

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
Ryan,

Have had a number of good dogs that could do some special stuff over the years...and I agree with your understanding of dogs. They are FAST learners and can make quantum leaps of ability when they know what the task is, and the reward for success.

My biggest area of confusion comes from selecting a certain breed of dog. I'd like a dog that also makes an excellent take-along companion. I happen to prefer a breed that has some medium build (smaller than a big lab...bigger than the dachshunds) and a disposition that favors friendliness and manageability. Biters and cranks are unwelcome.

From what I've seen so far...it's anything goes when it comes to a "best breed" of tracking/recovery dog. I'd welcome anyone's thoughts on breeds.

Kevin Dill

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
"I happen to prefer a breed that has some medium build (smaller than a big lab...bigger than the dachshunds) and a disposition that favors friendliness and manageability. Biters and cranks are unwelcome.

From what I've seen so far...it's anything goes when it comes to a "best breed" of tracking/recovery dog. I'd welcome anyone's thoughts on breeds."

Kevin,

I did quite a bit of research while looking for a blood trailing dog.  I complicated the issue by wanting a multi-purpose dog, who would also be gentle around my young daughters.

I settled on a Deutsch Drathaar puppy and haven't regretted it.  She's 8 months old now...has recovered a couple deer...held point and retrieved too many pheasants, quail and chukars to count...and has now added rabbits to her bag of tricks.  She squeal barks on sight and also if she's on a good track.  Yesterday...she took a track on her own...worked it about 400 yards and circled the rabbit back to me.  Every piece of small game shot by me or anyone with me was delivered to handw without any command to do so.  Best result of my decision...my daughters think she's their sister and spend countless hours with her...including riding her down the hill on sleds!

My only negative with her so far has been her aggressiveness (speed) while blood trailing.  She would sometimes go so hard, she would overshoot a turn in the trail.  This was remedied by using a pinch collar and we now have no problems.

If you go that route...research your selected breeder options...these dogs vary greatly by breeder in their mannerisms around people.

Hope that helps,
Joe

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
Joe,

Thanks. I had just completed a quick search on the Drahthaar breed before you posted this. Very interesting dogs and they do appeal to me. Assuming you lived where there were no local breeders, how would you determine a suitable lineage and breeder?

Kevin

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
I've got a 6 month old lab pup and she's coming along really well.  All I've done so far is make a decent blood trail with some deer blood I saved from this past season.  She has taken to it without much help from me at all.  I am gradually making the trails harder and harder.  
Seems like I read somewhere that most dogs will pick it up pretty easily, but some more than others naturally.

Speaking of "leathernecks", (I'm a former sailor   ;) )  you do know what "marine" stands for don't you?!!

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
Kevin,

Look for a breeder's history...mine has done over 600 DD's.  Ask very pointed questions about the temperament of the parents...frequency and reason for any dogs in their litters biting.  If they're vague or can't answer...look elsewhere.  When I got mine...it was more like the breeder was screening ME to see if I was worthy of receiving one of his puppies!  As for their hunting potential...that is easily viewable...as every DD's parents, grandparents, etc., is tracked.  Every dog has to receive certain test scores in hunting scenarios, must meet certain coat and conformity (size, teeth, etc.) and "hardness tests" to be certified to breed within the organization.  If you look at VDD-GNA.org, you can learn about the breed and there's a link to breeders with upcoming litters.  If you want more info., PM me.  These dogs have amazing brains and sense of balance and recognize most of what they're required to do at the time simply by which collar is placed on them and the simple command given at the time.

Joe

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
Even though I was a Marksmanship Instructor in the Corps, my arrows need some serious help sometimes. LOL. >>>>>>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

My hats off to all who make the serious commitment to serve this great country!

Now.. Back to the topic, I'm just finishing Johns book and it is GOLDEN for a would be blood tracking dog handler.  I'm excited to be picking up my teckler in the very near future!  I know it will be a fun and educational ride and hope I can live up to the task.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
Once you get it started, BELIEVE THE DOG.

Friend had his dachschund take him 3/4 mile down the middle of a county road.  No tracks.  Couldn't believe the dog was still on trail, but stuck with it.  

Eventually the dog passed and obvious trail, then cut in to the woods, took them a ways thru thick brush to the dead deer laying on the creek bank.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
Is there a way to get the book other than going through amazon or some other such place? My nephew wants to train a dog to blood trail lost deer.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
Well - I think my German Wirehaired Pointers are not only good bird dogs; but good trailers too. I have 15 of them; but 10 are ankle tall.
 If your not into GWP - when a Drathaar is imported into the USA; it can be registered as a GWP with the AKC. Like the sire of my dam; and her dams sire; 'ken vospet' ( google it).

I find my dogs trail naturally.   :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline oh-bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
Can't wait to get this pup started.  When you take your dogs out to recover deer are you doing it for your friends and family or is this a side job to make extra money.  Never realized how many times you take your dogs out.  I was just going to do it for myself and help out some friends and family.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Some guys do it for extra cash, most just do it for the dog and the adventure.

This year we just tracked for myself, family, and other trusted folks.  I wanted good tracks for Oskar his first year and a minimum of non-starters.  That is a big part of why he was 12/12 on fatally  hit deer with 1 non-fatal confirmed track and 1 non-starter (so 12/14 recoveries on all tracks).  Guys that take run of the mill tracking calls from unknown hunters generally run more like 25-35% recoveries.

We are going to do tracking on-call within 50 miles or so of home next year to get Oskar exposed to more tracks.  We won't charge, although donations for gas will be appreciated  ;)

Ryan

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
b.glass,

Just go to The Born to Track site and get the book directly from John.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Al Natural

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Brian
Why would someone want to register a Vdd registered Drathaar with the AKC?  What would be the advantage?  Most Drathaar's in the U.S. come from breeders in group North America.  Some Drathaars are imported by breeders to assist in their breeding program.  The Drathaar has been bred for 150 years to be a versatile hunting dog. Drathaars are tested on their ability to blood track by the Vdd.  Some Drathaars with dedicated owners/handlers complete 40 hour blood tracking tests. The blood trail is 1000 meters long and only 8 ounces of blood is used on the track.  
Al

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
I think Deer Search in New York state is a free service with the understanding that the handler gets travel expenses.  

In Mass, it isn't legal to use a dog for hunting deer.  So I will only go for a walk in the woods with friends who just might have wounded a deer.  I've talked to the DNR about this and it isn't a problem since my dogs are leashed...30 foot leash  :)   Plus NO weapons can be carried...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
Thanks Bill!
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
I've got a FEIST- black mouth cur cross, and he's a born blood trailer.

Set out beef blood off of whole ribeyes..with cut off pieces as a reward at the end of the trail.

I wound them all around- even at the beginning- 30 to 50 yards and now he's doing 300-500 yard trails that I purposefully make difficult with backtrailing and sharp turns...he's not fooled in teh least.

His nose is so good, I can take his play tennis ball that squeaks and go all over the house hiding it.

In ten minutes, he's right there where I hid it- in a topmost drawer of a dresser, back of the kitchen pantry- wagging his head saying " its here, get it for me Dad"

Its a game we play but he has all the advantages!!!! What a nose!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
When you start, use a very long canepole to drag the scent rag or your dog may simply end up trailing you.  

Have a buddy make a trail while you go along parallel but off a ways.  Good way to find out if the pup is really on trail.

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
This is my fifth deer season with a tracking dog.  It has added a whole new element to my hunting experience - I would rather have Fred trail a deer than shoot one myself.  
Initially I thought about taking calls but soon found out that it takes a lot more time than I had anticipated.  Someone you don't know calls you and generally says they shot a big one and have tracked it for hours and want to know if we can drive 50 miles and find it.  In most cases I would have to take off work or eat in to my own hunting limited hunting time so I don't take outside calls.  He gets plenty of work just from my network of friends.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©