3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A long hard move to NY  (Read 591 times)

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
A long hard move to NY
« on: January 16, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
Well, I made it to West Point. What a trip. I was hard seeing the beautiful Colorado Mountains in my rear view, but off to better things Uncle Sam says. I had a series of unfortunate events along the way, but we are finally in our new home minus our household goods, and short one good friend.

Along the way from Colorado, I had to put down Domino; our 12 year old Boston terrier while in Missouri. My wife and I were crushed. It made for a solemn trip. My other terrier of 3 years also had a gloomy state about her since loosing her friend. She suffered from cancer and heart failure and it worsened on the trip to the point that we had no choice. With my wife expecting our first child in June, this was a great lose since having to separate from all her friends in Colorado. Domino has been with us through many moves and with my wife through countless deployments to Iraq. We will miss her dearly....

We are now somewhat settled in our new home in Garrison, NY which is just across the Hudson river from the West Point Military Academy where I will be working. What a beautiful spot it is. We are renting a home on a secluded 50 acres up on a hill side. There is a amazing view of the river, and you can just make out the lights of the empire state building at night. The road my house was built on is a old revolutionary road. This place is littered with amazing history, and I look forward to exploring it all. The owners say that there is a coyote problem, and I'm welcome to take care of it by any means.

We are awaiting our household goods shipment which should be here in about 10 days. Meanwhile its a air mattress which is doing wonders on our backs...... two camping chairs, a VERY weak internet signal and dinner by flash light. Its the same song for a few weeks every time we move. I enjoy the simplicity of it, as it allows my wife and I to get a little closer.

I wouldn't let the movers handle my bows, so along they came. Now as I'm sitting here with much time on my hand, I'm getting the itch to roam about the property. I would really like to make it to a local trad shop, but I'm having a difficult time getting used to the roads in this area.

Any of you NY trad guys can point me in the right direction? What are the closest shops to me?

I look forward to meeting you great hunters of the East.

Casey
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A long hard move to NY
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
Welcome to NY. Sorry the move has been tough, but I think you will find atleast a few trad guys around you.
Joe Skipp has a trad shop, but you may have to PM him for directions and hours. Im not sure of others, as Im north of you a bit.

Hope to see you at the JLMBH. Oh and if you are into fishing, the stripers will be running in late April, early May. Good times on the river.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
Casey try and plan to attend Denton Hill this summer. You are not that far away and there are a bunch of trad shoots in PA. Glad you made it safe, tom massaro
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
Welcome to New York, That being said its to bad you had to leave the west. The trad archers are around but you have to look for us. This is a great place to do that. Joe Skipp is north of you a bit , a good guy to deal with and knows his stuff, Tollgate Archery is further north but he does mail order and is a sponser here. As I said welcome......sorry for your loss, I have lost a couple of dogs and its not an easy time!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
Beautiful country you've moved to. I want to see it one day.

There should be a black bear season somewhere close to you.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
Thank you for your service to our country. Too many people ( none here) take for granted the challenges of a military family. Every new assignment is an adventure, and an opportunity.
Good luck to you, and again, thanks for your service.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Jan Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Casey, Welcome to NY! Soory the trip was a drag!!! Please feel free to contact via a PM so we can discuss getting together for coffee! I  teach at West Point as a contract instructor and have for the past 11 years. Retired USAF five years ago, so we may have some "stuff" in common!
Long live tradgang... here is to new friendship!
Cheers... Jan
Jan Brown
Orange County, New York
Lead, Follow, or Get Out Of The Way

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
Well Casey..that didn't take to long...lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
Welcome to NY Casey!

Sorry to hear about the dog......I fully understand how attached we get to them and the toll that putting them down places on the family.

I too am a non-native NYer and have lived in CO.  Let's just say the difference will be day and night.  It will take some getting used to, but you will grow to enjoy the liberal hunting seasons and you happen to be generally located in a deer-rich part of the state.  Not far from you in Westchester County, a bow-only county, you could basically enjoy unlimited tags as long as you are willing to tag does.  Certainly is a constructive way to fill the freezer.  You WILL miss the very large game.....hey, you can always travel.

Check in with Joe Skipp, who has a shop in his house not too far north of West Point.  You'll find lots of like-minded trad folks in the area.

Again, welcome and enjoy your time at West Point.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
Casey,  Can't help you with New York, but understand how tough military moves can be.  I lived in 22 different houses in my career and none of the moves were fun.  I also had to put down my 13 year old Irish Setter before I moved back east one time.  It's painful, but time heals most things.  Enjoy the posting at Army.  Maybe you can do something about their abysmal football team so you can give us a real game next year.  Oh, did I say, I went to Navy.  BEAT ARMY!

...sorry, I couldn't resist.

Good luck on your posting and know how very important your job is in molding the young minds of those who will be leading our soldiers into battle soon.  We salute you!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
Welcome to NY but as soon as you get the chance get out. I have been here all my life and it's the worst state in the union for taxes and offering nothing in return.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
Check out my Bunny Hunt thread, you are more than welcome to attend!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
You moved to a great area you just have to explore.  The Catskills are close and incredible.  There are a lot of hunting/fishing/hiking and camping opportunities.  It's different from CO. I'm sure but you'll grow to love the east.  I did wen I moved from WI.  It took me a while but I'm quite fond of NY.  

Sorry about your Dog! That Sucks.  I hope you and your wife adjust well and have a healthy little trad shooter.  Joe is about 35-40 minutes North of you but sounds like it's worth the drive.

Hook into a Striped Bass this spring You'll love the river that flows both ways.  

You are close to Shawn's bunny hunt (JLMBH)  which is a blast if anything like his warm up hunt.  There is the Muzzy shoot in the Catskills and lots of other stuff if you look.  Thats the way this place is, everything is here you just have to find it.

If you are ever up this way, PM me your welcome anytime perhaps we can kill a stump.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
Try to make Shawn's Bunny Hunt, It's a blast!!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
You will enjoy hunting the eastern hardwood forests. But after dealing with the overregulation, over taxation, and predatory gov. practices, you will probably be dying to get back home or as far from "civilized" society as you can get.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
freeman is right, but most of the people are great, just stay out of the big city! Shawn
Shawn

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »
Welcome to New York Zmonster. I hope you enjoy your stay here. I'm sure it will be temporary. I'll have to agree with freeman here.This state is as beautiful as any, uglied only by the people who run it. I also live on the river, maybe a 15 minute walk down the hill. There is some beautiful country here and lots of wildlife. I'm about 20 minutes south of Albany on the Thruway. If you want to get together and shoot this spring, let me know.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
Someone already mentioned trying to get to Denton Hill, aka ETAR this summer. Being from the west, you likely have not had an opportunity to attend such a large or well attended trad gathering. It is a lot of fun and will afford you a chance to make a lot of new friends. Good luck settling in, welcoming the baby and with your new posting.
Molon labe

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
Zmonster,as has already been said, thank you for your service to our country.  I'm sorry for your traveling situation.

There is a group of great guys in Jersey, who actually do a winter bow hunt.  

If you get a hold of bentpole,campfire:  he can steer you in the right direction.  

Just hope your a a Lety, cause he changes bows like socks, and it would get expensive keeping up with him.  :biglaugh:   :

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
Welcome to the East Coast If you ever come to Atlantic City N.J. give me a shout.Stone Knife you must be mistaken New York for New Jersey...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©