3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ancient SpiritThunderhawk recurve  (Read 361 times)

Offline Possum2

• Trad Bowhunter
Ancient SpiritThunderhawk recurve
« on: January 16, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
Does any one shoot a thunderhahk im interested in one and want to know the pros and cons. Sorry the to relies below was wrong to my error I'm looking at thunderhawk!
Martin Jaguar 60" 50@28
RER Vortex longbow 62" 46@28
Zipper Extreme 60" 55@28

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ancient SpiritThunderhawk recurve
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
I tried a Tomahawk SS at the archery club last time, and they were good shooters!
I believe it was 48# @ 28, with yew and boo limbs, bocote riser.
Fast enough, good lookers, super smooth^^ draw and very little shock, though that may be removed by tuning..
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Rufus 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
Are you talking about the 3Rivers Tomahawk bow or another brand?

Offline Possum2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
No its the Ancient Spirit thunderhawk I've been up for 32 hrs now
Martin Jaguar 60" 50@28
Zipper Extreme 60" 55@28

Offline Possum2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
No one out there shoot one or own one?
Martin Jaguar 60" 50@28
Zipper Extreme 60" 55@28

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
They are excellant bows.Very smooth drawing and definatly high performance.

Tracy Tricket the bowyer worked for Mr. morrison for years and knows how to design a good shooting bow.The limb design has some similarities to the Morrison recurves.

I had a 64 inch one piece A.S Thunderhawk and also a 3 piece Thunderhawk.I liked both of those bows quite a bit and cant think of anything negative to say about them.I would gladly have another.I think Tracy still builds the Thunder hawk with his new company Trees Custom bows but may have changed the name to Shadowhawk?A.S offered a few different models of bows and they all shot very well IMO.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
Depends which model you get...if ya get the ones JD made I'm sorry to say you bought yourself some great firewood LOL.

all joking aside if the vaneers didn't crack yet they will but they will still shoot.  Pretty bow, fit great in my hand, rough draw, quick shooter!  My 45# bow felt like my buddies 55# bow.  I wish I had the bow again to give it a shot but I doubt I'd shoot it long it was very rough on my shoulder!

Buuuuut I've heard nothing but good things about the bows tracey produces.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
I have been shooting an Ancient Spirits Kadiak for 5 years or so.  It is a fine bow and has killed a couple deer for me.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DaleinOhio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
I love my Thunderhawk...have had it since 2006.  I couldn't disagree more with Deadbolt.  Mine is a 50# lb bow and feels ten lbs lighter to me...and draws smooth all the way back.
"So much do the savages esteem the wood of this tree for the purpose of making their bows, that they travel many hundred miles in quest of it."  -- Meriweather Lewis' description of the Osage Orange tree in a letter sent to Thomas Jefferson.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
One of the best shooters I have had was an Ancient Spirits Thunderhawk one piece made while JD and Tracy were together.  Shouldn't have sold it   :(
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
The Thunderhawk was JD's bow. Tracy did not design or build this one. He has been making limbs for the ones that have blown up with his design but the Thunderhawk was not his.

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
I shoot one. RH 60" 53#@28". Very smooth shooter. I like the Risers alot, very nice fit for me. If you have any questions PM me. The Pro is they are a very good bow. It con is that they are not made any more. This one can be available as I shoot mostly left handed.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
i had a 3 piece that  shot great, I sold it because I really 1 peice bows better.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
I shoot a 62# Thunderhawk 1-piece that was made by J.D. I know alot of people have personal issues with the guy, but I've shot 3 bows made by him, and all have been excellent shooters.....

My Thunderhawk is VERY QUIET.....you can ask several Tradgang members that have shot with me at 3D shoots. It is smooth and fast. I don't regret buying it at all!
So far I've taken  deer, coyote, and turkey with it, so I guess it's a killer too.....

Ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
Tracy built one of my A.S Thunderhawks and J.D built my other A.S Thunderhawk.Both shooters.

They are signed by who ever built them.

Offline Achilles1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »

My Thunderhawk 55#@ 28" (LH)
Fast&smooth.

Offline Achilles1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »

Pic II

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
I picked up a 3 piece TD AS Thunderhawk by Tracy on the classifieds just a short while ago.workmanship is second to none,shoots great,nice and light,all around a beautiful bow,smooth as glass.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Online last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
I have one of the first ones Tracey made and it is my primary bow.  I figure I  am approaching 15,000 arrows from it since I got it.  It is a 60" bow at 51 lbs draw at 28 inches.  I have been shooting recurves only since 1972 and have not had or found a bow the feels better to me.  I love the way it shoots.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Precurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 05:56:00 AM »
Very nice shooters.  Very fast and much quieter than most recurves.  One of the fastest recurves I've shot.  Tracey told me the Kadiak was JD's bow design from his father and the Thunderhawk was designed by JD and Tracey together.  I also had several Kadiaks which were also great shooters.  Their earlier models had limb issues, but if the bow you're looking at has bamboo limb cores you should be fine.  I think A.S. problems were more business related than product related.

Dave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©