3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Transformation..... Another picture added.  (Read 1220 times)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Transformation..... Another picture added.
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
Great memory's for sure and I'm sure this is going to strike home to a lot of people on here.   :clapper:  

I always injoy reading your storys buddy, You have a great way of putting pen to paper and telling a mean story.  :coffee:
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 08:22:00 AM »
Great story. It is wonderful to see you connecting these dots as they span generations.
Molon labe

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
:wavey:    :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
Come on Bud! Keep it comin. This is great reading, as Tracy said, you have a gift with the pen.   :campfire:    :clapper:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
TTT for my buddy   :wavey:  

Tracy  :coffee:
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Dang!!!

Some of us can`t take the wait you know!!!

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
This morning, as I brought to life that same 400 cubic inch engine, and the power steering squealed in excitement to go, the dew drops from the humid mountain night clung to the windshield almost in a manner as to say, “You better take us with you!”

With the Ben Pearson strung and ready, I sat it in the passenger seat along with his buddy, my pack. When the headlights lit the damp two track that lead from camp, the team also couldn’t help but to shine a little light on the all the adventures this two track has been apart of, and the adventures it was going to be a part of.

Every bow has its own personality, and as we spit-spat and sputtered down that road, I looked over at that bow as I would a best freind and adjusted it as to make sure it had a good enough view to enjoy the show the headlights where providing.

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
Great story.  My dad didn't hunt, so I had to do it all on my own.  I was a man grown when a Mentor found me!  An unlikely grumpy,old,damn yankee from Minn.  I miss him so!
Thanks for the memories, that are flooding back with the telling of your EPIC!
Johnny/JAG
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
I had no real plan of how I was going to attack this ridge. While driving into the area, I stopped and parked in the first spot that was convenient. It was still a touch dark, but light enough to see an off colored patch of grass well enough to do a little pre-hunt stumping. The blunt tipped cedar found its mark the several times I shot. I sat there, leaning against my Ford, watching the wonders of the world come to light and life before me.

The mode or mood I was in on that particular morning was 100 percent primal. For the first time in my life, I wasn’t counting on luck or chance with this hunt. Right there, standing flat footed, I knew this hunt was going to be successful.

For the first time in my life, I was a predator.

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
I knocked an arrow before even leaving the truck, and for the 501st time, I checked the sharpness of the big three bladed head.

Just as soon as the truck was out of sight, I slowed down. And by ‘slowed down’, I mean I was taking a single step then stopping and looking. I had no real direction. I took that step in the opposite direction of the wind.

It didn’t take long before I was seeing deer. I rushed nothing and didn’t leave a shadow or clump of oak un-glassed. If there were deer in front of me, I sat and watched until they weren’t in front of me any longer.

Time had no meaning. The only thing that mattered to me was making sure the wind was in my face. The hours passed way faster then the ground I covered.

About 10:00ish that morning, and the dew had burned off, I sat on a dead fall quaky long enough to peal my boots and put on my heavy wool socks. I stowed my boots in my pack and took a swig or two from my standard issue G.I. canteen.

One step at a time, I worked the wind. If I got tired, I sat for a minute. When I glassed hard enough to make my eyes cross, I closed them. When I felt I was taking that step too fast, I slowed. By God, I was hunting.

Todd

Offline unregistered

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
More please.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
I worked this one draw in particular. I saw more bucks on it during my summer scouting then any other. The draw is comprised of quaky and tall pine being the most prominent with oak brush scattered galore through the forest floor. A trickling spring provided an ample amount of water.  

Step after glassing, glassing after step. It was approaching 1:00pm and I wasn’t a mile from my truck. Step after glassing, glassing after step, I continued.

I was mid stride in one of my steps when the glare of a velvety antler at my 10 o’clock position caught my eye…

Todd

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
the power steering squealed in excitement to go
I owned an old 78 Chevy Scottsdale and that line rekindled some fond memories.

I'm enjoying this one a lot!  Thanks for taking the time to take us along.  

:thumbsup:    :coffee:
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
I instantly froze to assess the situation.

A slow inspection through my cheap Tasco binoculars revealed what I already knew. The buck was bedded about 60 yards from me. A huge ponderosa prevented me from seeing anything else but this bucks right side, nice four point antler. That ponderosa also prevented the buck from seeing me. The wind was perfect as it had been all morning.

The big tree that was now my 2nd best friend was only about 15ish yards from the buck. I knew if I could quietly keep that tree between the buck and myself, I could close the gap and take this deer.

I did nothing different. I would take a step toward the tree, then stop and look. I spent the better part of an hour closing those 45 yards. While meticulous, that hour passed and I was now well within range of this unaware buck.

I wiped the sweat of my bow hand on my pant leg before placing my firm clench on the bows grip. I brought the string to anchor before I took that defining step. And when I took that step, I wasn’t prepared for how relaxed the buck was.

His eyes were closed, his ears were tucked, and he chewed his cud. I admired the buck for a fraction of a second before I concentrated on the patch of hair that covered his heart. The buck was slightly quartering away.

The sound of the bow delivering the arrow woke the buck. I couldn’t help but take my concentration from my target spot to his eyes as the arrow sailed through the air in slow motion….

I took a quick glance at my intended target again just in time to see every muscle in that buck’s body flex in a desperate maneuver to get out of bed and away from this predator.

However, it was too late. That huge 3 bladed head buried to the white crest of the cedar shaft and huge amounts of blood had started to poor from this awesome creature’s chest. His death was inevitable….

Todd

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
With ya with each step Todd!  Great story telling!!

PS.  You going to the Western Park Shoot in Vernal, 1st weekend in March I think?
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
up
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Online ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
Great story Todd! Keep it coming I'm on the edge of my seat!  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
The buck somehow made it to his feet, but not 30 yards further. It was my most speedy kill to this day.

I reflected for 15 minutes of what happened. It was an emotional time for me. I can’t put that moment in words any better then that.

I admired my buck for a few minutes, but went straight to work. It was hot by now, and I wondered if Dad was still around. I couldn’t wait to show him.

I dragged the buck back to the truck, and that only took about a half hour. I hadn’t walked far at all, but what I did walk, I hunted.

I to this day I haven’t ever been able to put myself in that exact mode again. I hope to and really going to strive for it next time I hunt.

I was back to camp in short order to find my father absent. I was ok with that. I still had work to do and the emotions I was experiencing needed to be experienced alone. I hung, skinned and bagged my buck. Just as I was putting the last knot in the game bag, I heard my dad coming down the two track.

I stood there waiting for his words. His grin was priceless.

He walked over, extended his hand in his ever so friendly tradition of shaking and said, “Son, you are a fine hunter.”

The end...

Thanks for all of your kind comments.

Thanks for joining me on this wonderful hunt. It was a pleasure sharing it with you all as we all need a trip down memory lane once in a while.

God bless,

Todd

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
I was sure hoping there was a pic at the end of this  :thumbsup:  

The words of your dad said so much without saying much at all!

Really enjoyed that Todd!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
Thank You!
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©