3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Playing the fade...  (Read 310 times)

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
Playing the fade...
« on: January 17, 2010, 02:02:00 AM »
I call it playing the fade…basically I’m just padding a skinny string.  When I first started to pad my skinny strings I did it with the same color the main string body had…but I decided to throw other colors into it.  I just love the way the colors weave in an out of the loops and the fade areas.

Here is a photo of a normal 14 strand D-97 black/Mt. Berry (left) with a padded 10 strand (14 total) D-97 yellow/brown padded with 2 strand in each bundle of Royal Blue (as a MSU grad it hurt to put the blue/yellow in the same string).

The other day I had an order that called for two 8 strand strings…a D-97 and a 8125.  I padded each to 16 per the request of the person who ordered the strings.  I decided to use a blend of colors and I really like the way they turned out and took the time to take some photos.

Here is a D-97 8 strand Sunset Orange/yellow padded with 1 Fluorescent Yellow, 2 Mt. Berry and 1 Brown strand.  Really like the way it turned out!

Here is the 8 strand 8125 Black/Mt. Berry padded with 1 Yellow, 2 Brown and 1 Kiwi…nice dark combo.

Here is a larger photo of both…the bump on the serving is the double served part of the serving…I have been double serving with .018 braided 62XS, I make the 2nd serving shorter than the first.

I guess I just like the way they turn out with the mixed colors.

As a side note my wife commented that they “actually looked good”…told her “that is what I was going for”!

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline AALLFAB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Playing the fade...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 02:26:00 AM »
Best looking string i ever saw. Jim

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 02:29:00 AM »
Real imaginative and great looking.

Maybe i can order some when my new bow shows up. Have to sell the ACS first though

Jer Bear

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 02:49:00 AM »
Great looking bowstrings...nice job.   :notworthy:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Jason_MO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
Those look awesome!!  I think I am going to have to place an order real soon!

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
Josh sent me a 10 strand 8125 string and it really added some performance. I thought his 10 strand D-97 was as good as it gets but I was wrong, LOL!
 Both strings are way awesome and give your bow some speed.

I feel your pain Josh, it must have been tough adding in the blue and gold, LOL!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
Those are really nice Josh. I'm a D97 8 strand padded to 16 flemish lover myself. Nice to see folks put in the extra effort.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline dpowers311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
Do you serve by hand? Nice looking strings.

Dave
Bryan Holley Spirit Longbow
62" 50@28
Timberhawk Falcon
62" 48#@28

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
Nice looking strings Josh!

Eric

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
Just recieved a new string from Josh the other day, very nice string, quick service, great price, tag with string info is good to have for replacements. New padded skinny string looks great may have to get one for my Great Northern, doesn't need a new string yet, but have been wanting to try one. Todd

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
Those are sharp, makes my strings look pretty rough. I guess I have a lot to learn yet. First off, I learned I need more colors.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline gregk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
Really nice looking strings, bet they really make a nice looking bow look even better!!  :thumbsup:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
Very cool Josh!   :cool:  

I just picked up my new RER yesterday - will probably have to try one of those 8125's on it  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
Josh, those sure are real nice. I wonder how they would look on an a carbon elite centaur.......?  

Jeff's attention to detail is outstanding and his customer service is top notch. What I like about him is that he just does not take a string order but ask specific questions about tip width, limb width etc. to build you a truly custom string. All of my longbows have benefited from his strings and not only are they quieter but also adds to the eye appeal.  
Whip that new bocote bow would sure look good all dressed up with one of Josh's new fade out strings.
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Very nice looking strings. PM sent
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
Great looking strings Josh! Just in time for my next order. I'm wanting a couple Skinny strings for a new-to-me Zipper, just gotta find one of the tags with my specs.
Josh has made me a half-dozen or so strings and all his work is top-notch. If you've been thinking about new strings give Josh a shout-out, your bows will be glad you did.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 04:21:00 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words...I learn with every string I build!  I have had a lot of trial and error!  

Word to the wise...write down the specs on every string you build.  Have your board marked with numbers by each peg hole and keep a log of what it builds with different loop sizes and material.  Write down the distance you start twisting the loop and how that combo turns out.  A recurve string with loops of 16/20 will have a different length than a string with 14/18…a longbow string will have a different finished length with 10/12 loops apposed to a string with 14/16.

Changing the distance from start of the loop by ¼” each will made a string ½” shorter or longer depend on which way you go…that can make all the difference on a strings appearance and overall twist rate.  Heck 1/8” each can make a difference in how the string will end up.

I’m getting way to specific and if my wife were to read this she would say “you’re nuts” so I’ll wrap it up.

Thanks again!

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 05:52:00 AM »
'Em Shore are Purty Strings Brother!!!  :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
Youve shore got a nack for building em there Oliver. Havnt forgot about u either. Im expecting my 56" CH this week. Be talkin to you soon. Shane
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©