3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fast bows?  (Read 749 times)

Offline beemerhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Fast bows?
« on: January 17, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
What are some of the faster bows out there? Specifically recurves.  Also, what design qualities seem to make the greatest increases in speed?

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fast bows?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
Lots say ther are faster but I have never seen/shot one faster than a Morrison Shawnee with either recurve or longbow limbs on it.
hunt it

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
I've heard Black Swan Bows are supposed to be fast!
Also Scotlands Border Bows have a good rep for speed..

Of the longbow department I know that A&H ACS bows are very fast, faster than many recurves.
Edit : Dang, how could I forget the Centaur, thanks for reminding me, Elkherder!

If you go to Pete Wards homepage @  www.peteward.com  he has chrono results in his bow reviews.
Also try searching PowWow for the word "Chrono" as I know there is a thread with lots of posted results somewhere.
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
morrison or centaur,bw is a good one also.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
I would add Predator for the curves and Lost Creek to the LB's.  There are many very quick hybrid LB's out there.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
Surely the very next one I buy will be the fastest ever.  :bigsmyl:

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
Well, I know my longbow isn't very well known but it is very fast. Granted, I haven't been doing this forever but of the bows I have shot and seen shot, mine is pretty fast. Cold Mountain longbow.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
RER Arroyo will smoke an arrow.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
If you follow the test Blacky does in TBM you soon see none are running away from the others.They all wind up within a few fps of each other when things are equal. :)

Give me the slowest one from those test and I can switch out the string or drop arrow weight a few grains and beat the others with it.Buy what shoots good,feels good and looks like you want a bow to look.Then set it up for the speed you want and you will be as fast as the next one that comes along. jmho
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
I agree with James W.  I currently have a hybrid longbow, that from everything I have read should have been 10 fps slower than most. Well, I set it up with the same string, silencers, arrow, etc as my other bows. It shoots as fast or faster than just about every recurve and longbow (including ACS) that I have owned.

I'm not saying speed is overrated, but there are a lot of factors that go into it.

Offline beemerhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
Thanks for the input

Offline jerseyboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
I second the RER arroyo its absolutely flat to 20-23 yds. Mine is 55#@28. I have owned 350FPS compounds but to see a beautiful piece of wood smoke and arrow at 185-200 is awesome!!!
And in the end when i can no longer draw the bow or watch the arrow embark on its flight;when i posses only the spirit of the hunter, i will hunt.... if only in my dreams... because the hunt is born amidst my soul, and i... i am the hunter

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
vapor trails are good
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
Never saw a recurve faster than a Palmer....wish i still owned mine...lol

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Centaur and Whippenstick for longbows, Need more imput on recurves. I would bet that not too many recurves will outshoot the faster longbows though.I just built a double carbon D and R with foam core limbs that flat does vaportrail an arrow. The first two shots went clear through a brand new foam block target. All the way through. not hanging out the other side and stuck in my fence.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
I  would have to say Kwyk Styk By Jack Kempf they are real fast, and smooth ,,   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :archer:
Gord

Offline KY..Rob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
I would have to add."Foley" and "Herway" Bows to the Mix. Both are fine shooters with plenty of Getty Up!!

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
I haven't had access to a chronograph but bows that I have had good luck with are Mojo Sticks and a Shrew,Lil Favorite.Right now,the hardest hitting bow I own is a Bear takedown with a new set of Rose Oak,51# limbs by Brandon Stahl.These limbs have totally changed this bow.It throws a 700 gr arrow like it was something a lot lighter.I have had bows over 60 lbs that wouldn't penetrate like this one.

I haven't shot one of Brandon's one piece bows but I can only imagine.

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
I admit it, I like speed. I'm not a great shot, but I shoot much better when I have a flat arrow trajectory. So far my Border HEX-5 recurve is without doubt the one! With a light arrow or a heavy arrow this bow performs.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
"If you follow the test Blacky does in TBM you soon see none are running away from the others.They all wind up within a few fps of each other when things are equal.  

Give me the slowest one from those test and I can switch out the string or drop arrow weight a few grains and beat the others with it.Buy what shoots good,feels good and looks like you want a bow to look.Then set it up for the speed you want and you will be as fast as the next one that comes along. jmho"

I agree with James.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©