3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fast bows?  (Read 748 times)

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fast bows?
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
My 60", 54.5 pounds at 29" Toelke Chinook 1 pc. recurve (no carbon) chronographed a 564 gr. arrow at a consistent 185 f.p.s. and a 655 gr. at 174. What struck me besides the performance however is that with only Catwhiskers cut down to 1/3 normal diameter it is the QUIETEST recurve I have shot or ever heard shot.

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
I guess what I'm saying is, until the speed of a bow can beat the speed of sound then I'll go with quiet. [/QB]
I agree, speed is nice, but quiet kills.  Or in my case, gives me a better chance for a second shot!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
I've got a Habu recurve that is pretty fast.  I've never cared too much about speed though.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
Put three different strings on the same bow and you'll have three very different bows.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
Pretty much all of them are fast enough to do the job if you do your's.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
This question is hilarious and ranks right up there with, "how high is up!"   And people get sucked into delivering the, "my bow is faster than yours."

I don't know how fast my bows are.  I do know where they put an arrow, and how much I can depend on them to do the job.  I bet not too many folks buy a car because it's the fastest made.

Balance, Grasshopper.  Balance.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
George says it all.

Offline d from phx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
Take a close look at White Wolf Custom Bows. I am shooting one of the new TD recurves and it is sending arrows at a blistering speed. Have a 68 incher @38 lbs. SUPER Bow

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
There are so many variables with traditional bows it's not really realistic.Lighter arrows make a bow faster,longer draw lengths make a bow faster,types of strings and they way they are made can make a bow faster.Sounds more like a wheel bow question,get a bow you can shoot well.Then why would speed matter.

Offline Jim Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
My Habu VyperKahn is a fast bow. But more important it is easier to shoot more accuratly with than some other bows for me. By that I mean I can shoot it more consistantly to spot I want to hit.
It's more important to learn a good consistant form and shoot a bow of a weight you can handle easly, regardless of the speed.
I have noticed I shoot some bows better than others. Shoot a bunch and pick one you shoot the best. Jim

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
There are two speeds you need to be concerned with;fast enough and not fast enough.

If you want to shoot something really fast, check out the Ruger 77/17. 2500 fps. That is fast.   :eek:

Offline Ghost Dancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
I had a Matlock longbow that was very fast, and I bought it because it was reported to be so fast.  

However, it was very sensitive and finicky to form of which I had none at the time. As a novice, I subsequently could not control it at all, and any form errors were magnified.

The result was a very fast miss and an erratic grouping if any at all.

So, what good is fast if a bow is not forgiving?

BTW, it was probably only 5 - 10 fps faster than any others.  

Anyway, I sold it FAST.

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
Big foot bows sasquatch in WTT shot almost 200fps with a 10gpp arrow. If you search a thread on powwow for sasquatch you can see the bow.
Bob

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
Zipper!!! My "SXT" with bamboo cores is fast. Can't wait to see what my next one with carbon/foam limbs does.  :biglaugh:  

Bill

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
This question is hilarious and ranks right up there with, "how high is up!"   And people get sucked into delivering the, "my bow is faster than yours."

I don't know how fast my bows are.  I do know where they put an arrow, and how much I can depend on them to do the job.  I bet not too many folks buy a car because it's the fastest made.

Balance, Grasshopper.  Balance.
Then I guess you got sucked in as well. You did post here on HIS thread didn't you?
Dad always taught me, if you dont have something nice to say, THEN DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
Right on Leatherneck!  If the post was about what is important speed or quiet then have at it.  The post is about fast bows.  Some of us like that subject.  A lot of us do actually.  So 5-10 fps or whatever is not a big deal to some of us.  Others of us may like a little extra if all other factors are the same among a group of bows we are considering.  

We have a lot of post here about quite and smooth shooting.  Well I have read a lot of post about how any good bow can be made quiet and tuned for hand shock………...  So I guess we all just need to agree that all the bows are the same. You can get any wood you want.  The boyer can modify the grip for you.  I guess we just nixed a big number of post, and we can all find something else to do.  No more boasting about how fast, quite, well finished your bow is.

I like fast cars by the way George.  
  :goldtooth:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline MountainTool21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
I just got in a Beautiful RER CLX that simply smokes a 600 grain woody:)

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
Semper Fi!!!!!

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
Put three different strings on the same bow and you'll have three very different bows.
:thumbsup:  I found this out first hand.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Great Northern Critter Gitter and Bushbow. Fast enough!!! Smooth to draw, stable and QUIET.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©