3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are you a pocket person? Or not.  (Read 839 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Are you a pocket person? Or not.
« on: January 17, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
Since returning to hunting and doing it the Trad way, I 've come up against the cruel hard facts regarding hunting pants.

I hate cargo pants! (take no offense!) If I have a pocket the most it will ever see is something flat. Small and flat is even better.

I don't like baggy. I like trim cut pants that go where my legs go.

Which side of the fence do you fall?

Trim is stealthy I say. I have a pack. Into it all the crap goes that  they think you want to put in a pocket.

Marketing I say. Hard to sell a plain cut pant... and don't get me started on shirts that can carry two books, a gps and a bivy.

What do you say?

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Re: Are you a pocket person? Or not.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
G'day Josh,

Mate, being an ex recon grunt, I love pockets! Gotta have 'em on everything... pack, shirts ..  the lot. But I know what you mean in regards to pants. I never put anything bulky in pant pockets as it annoys me.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
I'm with you Josh. I can't stand to have things in the leg pockets banging me on the knees and such. If I'm wearing my back quiver, I carry a lumbar/fanny pack type deal. If just my bow quiver, then I wear a pack.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
I want pockets and I like baggy.
John

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
I'm a pocket guy as well.  I like the six pocket cargo pants, actually my girlfriend is always giving me a hard time about all the crap i keep in my pockets of my regular pants.

Offline leftybearfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
As a general rule I like baggy in my everyday clothes....probably because I'm a bit on the hefty side   :D  

With hunting clothes it depends on where I'm going. Some of my spots just aren't real conducive to having a pack with me. On those days, I like to wear cargo pants and put the essentials (license, tag, flashlight, knife, etc) in the pockets. When I'm heading to a ground blind/larger stand with more room, I pack a bit more stuff and carry a pack.
"It's easier to do the right thing, than to explain why you didn't."

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
You bet I'm a pocket person! Then again... I'll only put lightweight/soft items in my "cargo pants pockets". The rest of "my stuff" goes into the many large pockets of my "Day One" clothing. Allow me to add,  my outer garments sport a game carrier pouch that in itself takes the place of a back pack.

* I own a great Bison Gear day-pack that mostly stays back at the house or truck. If/when I'm hunting out of my normal area I'll use it, full of all that good stuff needed for a night in the woods.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
Nothing goes in my pockets. What extras won't fit into my leather bag I don't need.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
For walk and stalk, cargo pockets are a problem, but pockets are a wonderful invention.  For blind or stand hunting they are great.  I love to be able to put soft stuff like hats, gloves, bandana, or even armguards  where I can reach them with only a little motion and avoids getting up and down.  It is a lot easier to find something quickly in a pocket then dig in a pack.  Over the years I have developed a pattern: each of my necessities: shooting gloves, face mask, hunting glasses, pocket knife, silk scarf for my neck if I get cold (I dare  you to find anything better), handkerchief, watch cap, warm gloves all have their own assigned place. When I walk out of the house I know that I have everything because a quick check confirms that everything is in it's proper place
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
I like pockets as well.  Almost all my hunting pants are cargo style.  I like the baggy fit for comfort and the extra pockets for whatever.  I always end up throwing something in almost every pocket. I'm a good eater, so i like em a little baggy.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline rickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
Retired cargo pants long ago. I have camo jeans which are adequate until much heavier clothing becomes necessary. This year I totally shucked excess gear and only kept an extra belt with a couple of small pouches, as there were more half day hunts than full day. Travelin’ light was the plan and I was just as happy to leave most of the weight back in the truck…and, man, is “happy” an understatement.

Yup, it’s a stealth thing for me too. I figure the older I get the less labored breathing the better…bad enough my heartbeat is the loudest thing in the woods when I get close enough for a shot. Rick.

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Pockets and baggy

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
I love BDU style pants, not so much for the pockets, although that is nice on a day trip, but I just like the comfort, which is my habit.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
I like pockets. Daily adventure usually starts off with everything in it's place, but at the end of the day, I'm usually just looking for a pocket to put stuff back in.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
Pockets, man - give me pockets.  I think the only way to improve my baggy, multi-pocket pants would be to sew additional pockets in or on the existing pockets.

Sometimes when I'm walking down a steep hill and stop suddenly, the momentum of the stuff in my pockets keeps my pants walking a few more yards. Makes for some awkward moments but I do love my pockets.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
The more pockets and baggier the better.  In fact I love pockets inside of my coat.  I hate packs.  I carry my water in a holder on my belt too.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Gotta put my steps in my cargo pockets while I'm scaling the tree!!!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Johnny Reb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
I was always a big fan of the BDUs because of the pockets but dont like having to hassle with a lot of clutter so I made it a point not to overload, and the large opening on the front pockts made it easy to loose stuff(knives/shells)if sit down. (but liked the tie strap around the ankles)

But now dats I wear overalls and every thing thats important is zipped in the bib, try not to carry a lot anyway.
It's a twang thang,some people git it, some people dont.

Offline BigStriper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
I like pockets,but I don't like to put very much in them,and I hate anything heavy or banging around in the cargo pockets,I won't have it,

Kurt

Offline lucznik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
I've met few people who carry as much stuff in their pockets as I.  I get mocked for it all the time from my friends - until they need something and have to come "eating crow!"

I love pockets!
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©