3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Inlaying a compass into the riser.  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Brute killer

• Trad Bowhunter
Inlaying a compass into the riser.
« on: January 07, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
Anyone here inlay a compass into their bow riser. I just ordered the 18mm compass from 3Rivers and I'm looking for any advice. I figger I'll just drill the appropriate sized hole to the proper depth in the riser just below the grip.
 I'm doing this on a Martin X200.
 I don't think I'll drill on the Blacktail just yet.  ;)
Martin
"The first deer that gets close enough and I'm goin Womack on his ass!! " Charlie Lamb

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Inlaying a compass into the riser.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »
I's pretty easy,I didn't have a bit quite large enough, so I "precision" fit it with my dremel, you should have no problems at all!

one other thing, if your bow has an accessory fitting in the front of the riser it can play hell with the compass if it's even slightly magnetised.
True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
I've done a bunch.  I built a jig to do mine as I always did them on the belly side below the grip in an area that was curved.  I alway had problems with the glass tearing if I didn't have a wood overlay in that area.  I don't recall but i sispect I used 2 ton epoxy.  I still have a lot of compasses.  I sugest drilling a slightly oversized hole in a bloc of wood first to test the size and corect depth.  Hopefully you have a drillpress?

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
Do your self a favor and purchase an 18mm filsner bit to drill the hole. Don't use a regular drill bit it will wander and does not have a flat bottom when the hole is drilled.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Panzer I

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 12:00:00 PM »
I never thought about doing that to my bow, but it is a great idea, and I think I will do the same. I love this site

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
I've considered doing this as well, but I've always wondered if the proximity of the arrow heads in an attached bow quiver would throw off the compasss.  So far, I've stuck to carrying a compass on my jacket or in my pocket.

Offline headknocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
Its easy, just buy the correct size fostner bit.
Mark.
"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian"

Offline Brute killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »
I was thinking of using a brad point

instead of a forstner bit.

Martin
"The first deer that gets close enough and I'm goin Womack on his ass!! " Charlie Lamb

Offline Brute killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
Would the forstner be better?
I would use the 2-ton epoxie and expect that the epoxie would fill in the outer groove in the hole and eliminate any potential problem. (whatever that might be   :confused:  )
Martin

Offline flinginem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
Ive done a few and I wouldnt recommend useing 2-ton epoxie because those compasses eventually dry up or get bubbly,Ive allways used barg cement because then you can pick the compass out without damaging the hole in the riser and get a new compass

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
Best suplier of bow compasses?
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
I've done a couple and recommend using silicone, to dampen any vibration and also for easy removal should it break.

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
The silicone sounds like an excellent idea.  I believe that Forstner bits make a better hole than brad point bits, but in the end it's still a hole and going to be filled by the compass.  If you have both, try each on scrap and see if one fits the compass better than the other.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline MAC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
I would drill the hole a little deeper and use double sided mounting tape. those compasses are known for falling apart, the mounting tape could be taken off easily. could use epoxy brushed into the hole to seal the wood from the elements.
>>>>----Semper Fi---->

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
I think the ones I have are Suunto or some such thing.  It was the same ones that Sky used to use and I am thinking I got my fist one from Sky before tracking down the manufacturer.  I have never had one break or dry up and one bow I have one in has been goat hunting many times so its seen some serious action.  In hind site I probably used barge cement too.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »
I've installed alot of compasses, coins, inserts, and so on in my bow risers.  Always use forstner bits, always drill a test hole in a block of scrap wood to test fit, seal the inside of the hole with a couple coats of clear poly and I never use glue to secure the inserted item (tention fit is enough for me and nothing has ever failed or dropped out).

I get my compasses from 3Rivers.  They purchase compasses from the same place that Bear always has, but they get the top grade compass were Bear purchased the lower grade ones for their bows and resale.  Had a lot of failures with the low grade ones.  I am sure they might be some other manufactures out there but I've never used them.  dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Brute killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 11:55:00 AM »
I appreciate the info, guys.
Martin

Offline Kindred Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
I think either of the drill bits displayed would work fine.  The only concern I would have is using installing a compass that is oil filled and not just liquid filled.  Liquid will freeze and an oil filled to me is more functional.  I have found a 3/4" compass, but nothing smaller.  A compass is nice but it does not beat a GPS and an extra set of batteries.
Aim Small, Miss Small

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
Don't mean to rain on your day Brute Killer but I glued one on to a bowquiver. I planned to use the compass only as a guide as I always have my Silva compass in my kit.

I found it rattled to hell, the card in side the compass that is, upon every shot and drove round the twist!

I ripped it off asap and now run with a small one that slides on a watchband.

Just a thought for your concideration.

al
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©