3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Simple" question  (Read 430 times)

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
"Simple" question
« on: January 19, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Is there a R/D longbow out there that is as stable as a straight limb or stringfollow longbow?
Would a halfway decent shot realize the difference?
  Not talking trajectory here, yes faster bows take more of that "arcing unforgingness" out of the equasion, talking bent over, kneeling down, leaning around a tree, quick, instinctive shooting.
 My little brother is very interested in going out there with me.

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Simple" question
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
A d/r is actually more stable.  Howard Hill was experimenting with them before he died and came up with the Howard Hill Badger.  It's a deflex reflex design with narrow deep cored limbs.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
ttt

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
I had a Beeler hybrid LB that was very pleasant to shoot and also I had a Bear Montana that was very pleasant to shoot. The list could go on and on as others chime in.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
Mohawk!!  :thumbsup:    ;)  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »
I recently got a Fedora Xcellerator and find that it is even more stable than my other LB's and is a joy to shoot! The grip is what I feel makes it stable.  :archer:

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
Talking light mass one pieces here... I see that the Deflex'd risers with the foward handle design is proving to be very stable. Is so?
Moving on to string angle at full draw, and also, limb tip angle. I see that a D-bow's tips "come around and over" with the string kind of underneath them at full draw, as apposed to a recurve's more "upright" limb tips at full draw. With tip's coming around like that the string tracks straighter and is less effected by string torque, at what point of Reflex do you start to give up stability, if this is even the case with well designed modern bows. String angle example, I've seen that 62" BW PL's are 125deg or so at 28", not much pinch in there, the limbs are highly reflexed but string angle is wide, can something like that be as stable as a D-bow, comparing both with consistant "gripping"??

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
You're assuming string angle at the tips is an indication of stability - that's not necessarily the case.  Where the tips rest in the unbraced bow is a better indicator of how touchy it will be to torque.  The farther forward your hand is in relation to the the unbraced tips, the more stable and forgiving the bow will be.
String angle at the tips will give you an idea of where the bow starts to stack though.

A few cases:

My 64" '54 Bear Polar is a simple reflexed longbow, with the tips resting somewhere north of 3" infront of the handle.  At full draw the string angle at the tips approaches 90* like any other longbow and stacks like any other longbow at my 30" inch draw.  Not quite a D profile due to the reflex beginning at the handle.  A touchy bow to shoot that requires you to be mindful of string and handle torque.

A buddy's 64" "Hill" style longbow.  Reflexed more than many Hills, the tips rest about 2.5" forward of the riser when unbraced.  It retains the D profile by increasing the taper in the limbs (and as such stacks very early in the draw - ~26" or so)  It's no less sensitive to string torque than my r/d bows with the same amount of net reflex.

The last static tip recurve I made ended up following the string by about an inch.  It was just as forgiving a bow as any other that followed the string, but didn't start to stack until later in the draw due to it's profile keeping the string angle at the tips low.
The last few r/d longbows I've made that followed the string were also just as stable as my straight end bows.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Hmmm.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
You could go with a forward handle like a Blackcreek Banshee, Lost Creek Longbow, JK Traditions Kanati, Black Swan, Shrew, Big Jim Thunder Child or Hoots. All are light weight and stable good shooters. Some I have shot and others I have just heard very positive reports on for stability and forgiveness. Also, the forward handle gives a better string angle in regards to finger pinch.

:thumbsup:

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
The answer to your original question is - NO.

Straight limbs and "D" shape at brace will always be more stable (forgiving). They will also almost always be slower.

String follow will also add stability but this is a separate factor. An R/D bow may have string follow like the Bear Montana.

There are several other factors that help with stability like forward handle, limb design, etc.

In general, any increase in speed will make a bow less forgiving.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©