3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cat quivers  (Read 732 times)

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
Cat quivers
« on: January 19, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
Anyone used these? Do you like them? I was thinking about getting one this summer because they have so much space in the packs. I could carry everything I needed in one. Thanks!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cat quivers
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
Have had several including the mini. Just got a Cat Q. II with the waistbelt. I think this maybe the one I'm looking for. Can take what I need but not to much where I need a big day pack, I tend to go over prepared and never use half of the stuff. The Cat Q. II I can carry a water bottle on the waistbelt, lunch, my GPS, a rope, other things you have to have and my arrows all in one set up, and not be over loaded.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
I also have the Cat II and don't remember what the other on I have is but I use it the most for my day to day hunting,it has a small compartment on top that holds all I need for a deer hunt or whatever. The up side on this one is it keeps my fletching dry when its raining and the arrows are not flashing around while you walk. The down side for me is I have to take it off to replace an arrow after knocking and then do not shoot for whatever reason. This just maybe due to my ineptness but its a challenge. Over all I like it, the cat II is what I use on far away type hunts where I will need more stuff like elk,caribou or whatever I'm hunting that one will be out for long periods of time, plenty of room for what you need to carry. An added bonus to this quiver is it's a mini quiver if you simply take the quiver off the pack. I like this one a lot even though it's not the pack I use the most.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
I had a couple over the years and decided I didn't like them.  I don't like how stiff they are on my back, and decided that blind behind the back past the thigh broadhead draw is an accident waiting to happen.  Mr. Murphy purely loves a set up like this, particularly when a guy is about 5 miles in from the truck out in the Badlands...

I prefer a side or hip quiver and a pack.  Tough to beat the GFA Quiver with whatever pack you want to grab.  My new Eberlestock X1 looks to be the best small/medium sized hunting pack I've ever used, BTW...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
I've had a I and II and didn't care for the "center of the back" quiver....now have a VII.5 that i bought for an elk hunt last year.  It has a Mini that hangs from one side and is it was the absolute bomb for marching the mountains in Colorado, but a little much for a normal whitetail treestand pack.
I think I'll sell that one and get me a Mini to attach to my normal treestand pack.  I like that about the Mini...you can combo it up w/whatever you want or just throw it on yer back and take off.
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline Avid Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
I had a CQ II, and quickly traded it. They are well made, just did not fit my style of hunting. I also feared that blind,behind the back draw of a razor sharp broadhead. Just seemed like a trip to the ER waiting to happen. JMHO

AA

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
I currently have a SafariTuff Arrow Master and love it, jut wanted something with a touch more space. I was looking into a CQ 2 or 3.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
As far as getting cut, I would have a hard time. I way it rides on my back the broadheads are to low for me to get close to them, just grip the shaft and lift gently, out it comes. You can also use a solo stalker on your bow so an arrow is right there.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
I've used the Cat III off and on for about 20 years.  I like it for still hunting, esp. when I'm moving through heavy brush.  as others have said, you do have to take it off to replace an arrow, but I don't find that as a problem.  If I use it while in a tree stand, I just hang it on a hook out of the way.  the arrows are right there.  You can pick one up used on one of the auction sites.  If you don't like it, re-sell it.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
I have tried the cat quiver before, but having the arrows down the middle of the back had its drawbacks.  If you shoot full length arrows the bottom seems to hang down too far when kneeling, and trying to put the arrows back in with some sort of order was difficult.  The mini attached to the outside of the pack as mentioned above is a better idea.

But putting the arrows back in without them getting cockeyed with the quiver down your back had me looking for another quiver.  I might add that different length of arrows like carrying a judo added another wrench in things.

I bought the VI and I got rid of the Mini it came with but kept the fanny pack and use it exclusivly, they make great packs!!   :thumbsup:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
Had the mini---quickly traded it!

As stated above, using different length arrows, even as little as having different nocks, can have some arrows sliding loose.  Also, with the areas I hunt, I kept getting briars and other vegetation wrapped into the broadhead compartment and my broadheads kept needing to be touched up and re-sharpened!

I traded it for a GFA quiver and don't regret it.
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline STEVE R.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
Like most other people got rid of mine. It looked like a swell idea, but was torture to wear.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
I like them. I am almost finished making my own from leather that will hold more arrows. I can add pouches if I decide to. Basically like the mini. I want more arrows, versatility, and quieter! Good for turkeys and deer, I am unsure if I will use it for elk....maybe I will try it but a fanny pack only works with certain quiver types.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
I have 3 of them. a mini,a I and a II. I use the CQ I the most and use the CQ II when not using the CQ I. I have never used the mini when hunting but would along with a small pack if I didn't like the CQ I so much.  It's true They are not perfect, but I sure do like mine.

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
I have an original and a CQ III and Love it!!  Wet weather keeps fleching dry and out of sight! the only down side was carring a blunt or judo pt.  I solved this by adding a small clip to the outside of the bottom holder.  Now I love the feel and look of my Great Northerns quivers on my bows but under the right conditions (spot n stalk, or corn fields I love my cat Quivers
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Hmm, sounds like it's kind of 50/50.

Offline Jon Shade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
I've owned and used a Cat I for many years. I love it! Granted they do require a little practice, esspecially replacing arrows. I do a double clip at the top fasteners to the frame while the bottom slides on the frame. This reduces how low it wants to hang. I will use "piggy back" clips for compensation of different arrow lengths or rubber blocks with double sided carpet tape and have never cut myself regardless of stalking position.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
had a cat quiver back in the 60's, it worked fine and somewhat better than a regular back quiver.

these dayze, the only strap on quiver i'll use is the arrowmaster, it's the best for me.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »

I take it out West in case bad weather sets in and I use it here in NY for spring turkey and rainy day whitetails.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
iw I'll say that all the pros and cons have been covered. I like mine. It took awhile to get used to putting arrows in it on my back and it is dangerous with broad heads, just be careful.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©