3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Four and a Quarter Finger Salute  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Pissant

• Trad Bowhunter
The Four and a Quarter Finger Salute
« on: January 19, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »

A few months ago I lost my right index finger and thumb....(I'm a lefty) Thankfully I had the thumb replanted. I'm not bitter but actually grateful that things aren't any worse(I could be sporting a hook). I was and will be again a very competitive instinctive archer. I was just wondering if anyone else has any digits missing or has any input on the subject. Although my thumb is there it is very stiff and I have a substantial amount of nerve damage. I have minimal feeling but I can't complain with my weekly hand massage from my gorgeous physical therapist. I haven't picked up my bow since the accident but was just released to use my hand at it's full capacity. Tomorrow I have the day off and I'm going to pick up the bow and begin to rebuild mentally and physically. It's just a finger, small potatoes in my book. I would love to hear any input on the subject though, I have no choice but to embrace it....just part of the process of reinventing yourself right? [banghead]

Jay aka Pissant(stumpy, franky 4 fingers, captain nub, insert clever nickname here_______)

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Four and a Quarter Finger Salute
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
Congrats on how you are handling the curve ball thrown at you. With your attitude you will be shooting well again soon.

You might try a wrist or finger sling so you won't feel the need to grab the bow with your other fingers.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Mohillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
Great attitude Jay.  I have cut myself badly on a couple of occasions....haven't completely lost a finger yet...knock on wood.  You are tough both mentally and physically.  I wish you all the best and am sure you will be drilling your targets shortly.  Shoot straight!
Bret

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
If it helps my wife says I lost my mind most days.

:thumbsup:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
too bad but looks like your positive attitude will work for you though....may have to shoot left handed...just a thought

jer Bear

Offline foxfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
I second the sling...But Jay, you need to experiment
and go with what works for you .  I firmly
believe that if you were shooting well instinctivly before , that your mind and body
will compensate . But you need to do the required work....It's all up to you, but you already know that , huh ? Keep working at it
and I wish you all the best !

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
I lost two finger tips as a kid and the doc sewed them back on, they are on my string hand, index and middle fingers.  They both go numb if I shoot to much.  I don't let it bother me.  Keep up the positive outlook and make sure to ask that nice ( gorgeous ) Physical Therapist out to dinner for being so helpful in your recover.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Pissant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
Thanks for all the encouragement guys!

Jerry,
  I actually do shoot left handed.  I have considered shooting right but I do feel optimistic that I can train my right hand to hold the bow again efficiently.  I do know one thing, I'm not gonna bend like everyone tells me and shoot the training wheels or crossbow.

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another.  ~Walter Elliott, The Spiritual Life
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
You are in good company....Fred Bear lost a finger too.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
I applaud you on your positive outlook.  Keep up with the physical therapy - those people are miracle workers.  Haven't lost any digits, but did lose an eye in a shooting accident about 46 years ago.  Stuff happens, and you just go on with life . . . Good luck!
Craig
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
I'm right handed and lost half my left thumb a few years back. I don't have any trouble holding on to the bow or with my grip on the bow.Doesn't take as long to cut my finger nails now!  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline foxfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
Oh Jay, please keep your status posted.
Other tips may come up ... Private , public...
just keep us posted...That's what it's all about .
Helping you....YOU helping others ....huh ?

Offline pup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
You've never laid down before,I don't expect you ever will.It's good to see your thoughts are still with the arrow Jay!Hope to see you soon,wish you the best.  PUP

Offline Tommy Leach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Jay - Great attitude! I've got a HS classmate who lost half of his bow hand, only thumb and index finger left. It didn't slow him down a bit. Keep the spirits up and get back behind the bow. Best of luck! Tommy
Oklahoma Selfbow Society - Past President
OSS Founding Member

Offline Pissant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
Ks, that's encouraging for sure...if I can get past the discomfort from the nerve damage I don't see a problem holding the bow at all....did you finally get used to the odd tingling sensation and slight pain or did it just go away?

Foxfire, I most def will keep updates...if I can learn or teach anyone anything about the subject I will do so.

Pup, how the H have you been sally-a$$?...Are you shooting tomorrow night?... I was thinking about coming down and trying to fling some arrows.  If not I can always settle with some good old fashion ball bustin...

Offline longbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
Jay, hang in there buddy. you will make it work with your attitude no problem. I have a "factory" defect on my left hand and have only two fingers on my left hand which is my bow hand. A wrist sling is what I use now. When I started shooting I shot left handed and still do ever once in while.
If there is anything I can help you with fell free to send a PM or email. In my case its been this way from the beginning so it was easier for me.
Just remember... "Fingers are Overrated Anyway"  

:knothead:      :knothead:      :bigsmyl:      :bigsmyl:  

David

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Look at photos of Fred Bear showing the ring finger of his right (bow holding) hand. The last joint is missing.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
I can't give any advise but I can tell from your attitude you'll be shooting as good or better than before in no time. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Jay
Thats an amazing and great attitude to have!  I can relate to your pain just not to your extent.  At work at the beginning of the month i got my thumb in the miter saw.  Been home for the last three weeks.  Like you i feel life goes on and im thankful that it was no where near as bad as it could have been.  In time i will be fine and back to shooting the bow.  From one stumpy to another hang in there brother    :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©