3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Four and a Quarter Finger Salute  (Read 1329 times)

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Four and a Quarter Finger Salute
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
You've already inspired us all, and will continue to do so with your attitude and passion. Shoot straight, amigo!

:thumbsup:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline el_kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
I would recommend a kid's bow for a bit, until you get things figured out with the "new configuration".

I say this because I had a tendon reconnected YEARS ago and spent a little time doing PT and figuring out how to make the @#$# stupid finger work right again.  I remember the (gorgeous) physical therapist and her devious little clothes pins of torture.  The clothes pins were color coded (I think pink were the easiest ones and would open if you sneezed) and it took me ages to get the strength and dexterity to open them up without dropping half of them.  

Keep that good attitude, not everyone I saw at PT was smart enough to realize that things could have been much worse.  

My fingers are doing quite well these days.  Sounds like yours will come around as well.
Glad you did all your PT work!!

Kirk Billings

Offline pup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
I'll be there and if you drop buy,the first PBR is on me!You know your missed at the club!See you soon Jay.Bring Pop with ya!I could use a good bigfoot story.   PUP

Offline el_kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
Should have looked at the second page before I responded...

Yeah, the tingling goes away after a while.  Mine did, anyway.

The scar tissue just has to learn who's the boss, that's all.

Kirk

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
My brother-in-law ran both hands in a tablesaw cut off 7 fingers and ended with a short ring finger so it could be used as index. Think how that was with two hands in club wraps and NO fingers exposed.

He has some pain in the cold but has regained a lot of use. Keep up the therapy and DO all the movements the therapist says.

You have a great outlook and will get past this misshap.

Tim

Offline elkhunter752

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
Best of Luck!!!  Dillon
Dillon Martini

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
Pissant,
Don't sweat it. I'm missing most of my thumb, most of my little finger, part of my wrist & the biggest portion of my triceps on my right arm. Lost it 41 yrs. ago. I shoot my bow righty. I just don't let it interfere with what I want to do.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline rickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
Good on ya. I worked construction for many years and still greet some of my old co-workers by holding up  all 10…has special meaning, ya know. Was very injured in my left hand once and doc said no shooting the bow for some time…went home and mixed up some special aluminum product, protected the handle of my bow, put on a latex glove, took a lump of the stuff and molded my hand to the bow. The next day I cut off the excess, attached some leather to it, and went right back to shooting. Screwed up my right hand once, hours before leaving to hunt out of state…couldn’t pull the string with my fingers so I bought a release and kept on trucking.

A good attitude goes a long way…it’s inspirational. Take Care, Rick.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
out standing attitude....
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
Jay,

Hats off for the glass half full attitude.  You've already won the most important battle.

I'm a Physical Therapist and I was wondering if you are seeing an Occupational Therapist?  While us PT's are smart and good looking  :smileystooges:  ....well at least the females are... OT's are really the experts in hands. Specifically an OT that is a certified hand therapist. If she is really hot then forget this and just keep doing what your doing!

The nerve damage issue is a 50-50 proposition.  It can take up to 1 year for that to return.  It most likely won't be completely normal but the hypersensativity should lessen. The hypersensativity is just a sign that things arn't right and the nerve is still healing.

They have some desentization exercises that can help.  Some people say fluidotherapy (a wierd machine that bombards your hand with ground up corn husk that are heated) can help with sensativity.  The stiffness just has to be stretched out and is limited by the location of the incision.  If it was through the joint then it will be limited for sure.

As far as the shooting goes... I bet having your thumb up against a riser is going to send some vibrations down that bone that will be uncomfortable for a while.  You may need some type of padding around the thumb to help dampen that vibration.  Be patient and only take a few shots every night until the bone and soft tissue can toughen up and tolerate to the shock of the bow when it is released.

I think Kirk is right about the light weight bow at first.  Try to get a 30-40 pounder to work with. Build up your tolerance to the shock that the bow will put against your hand.

I'm almost wondering if a straight handled longbow might be better for a while so you can use more of the palm of your hand insted of needing the web of your thumb like you do with most recurves. You will just have to try and see which one hurts less.  

Good luck with the rehab and keep working hard right now because everyday that scar tissue gets tougher to break up.

Good luck,

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline GANDGOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Those who THINK THEY CAN!!  CAN !! Those who think THEY CAN"T...  CAN"T !! The numbness goes away with perseverance.. AND Exhilaration !!
When you do something the experts tell you ,you can't do.. THAT'S SELF CONFIDENCE!! Something NO ONE CAN TAKE FROM YOU!! GOOD FOR YOU!!  :biglaugh:  
--------------------------------
 TRUST IN THE LORD>> FOR HE IS YOUR STRENGTH!!
3 pc. Morrison Shawnee 60" 51#
3 pc. Shafer Silvertip 62" 48#
1 pc. Sandy Biles Super Xt 47#
3 pc. A&H ACS 62" 48#
3 pc. Das Dalaa 60" 48#

For GOD so Loved the world. He GAVE His Only Son...John 3:16.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
You have my admiration and deservedly so. Thank you for your willingness to share something so very personal.
I hope that wasn't the result of an archery related accident because I thought I knew of all the ways I might hurt myself doing this trad thing but I might be missing something if your's was something that happened with a bow and arrow.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Big Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
I lost Index finger and my middle finger is just there for looks on my left hand.I'am still left handed but had to switch over to right handed can't pull bow lefty.you will do all right.p.s. the ghost finger never will go away.best of luck (Rick)

Offline TimRadke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2010, 12:07:00 AM »
You will probably need to post a picture of your physical therapist before we can truly answer your question.
Byron Ferguson Patriot
58# @ 28"

RER XR
49# @ 26"

>')///><            <-------[[[[

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 12:41:00 AM »
The worst part about it is having to cut and sew your gloves. At least know one will steal em. My Dad is missing half his index finger (crushed), his ring finger (blown off), and part of his thumb (blown off) on his right hand.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 02:21:00 AM »
Your positive attitude is a great asset.
If you have not seen Rick Welch's Accuracy Factory DVD, take a peek. One of his students who is missing a good bit of his bow hand/fingers demonstrates some very good shooting, and uses a wrist strap to catch the bow after the shot.
I met a dentist who lost his dominant right hand in an accident, and he was able to keep practicing by learning to do everything left handed.
Amazing what you can do with determination.
Hang in there, best wishes for you.

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
Jay,

Great attitude, go slow and don't get discouraged with your progress, it will take a little time, but I am positive you will get to where you want to be.

One of the finest guys and accomplished  bowhunters I have met is Bob Radocy, past president of the CBA. Bob has a hook where his left hand was, he has a Recurve with the grip designed so it works with the hook, it's never slowed him down.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
i think you will find that the bow is an incredibly adaptive weapon. You have the right attitude and that will make the difference. I have a friend whose father lost his right arm just below the elbow. when we started bowhuntingg My friend and I spent many hours trying to design some sort of adapter to attach the bow to his prothesis. We never said anthing to him because we didnt want to dissapoint him if we couldnt figure it out. One day while watching us shoot, he said let me try that and simply picked up the bow in his "hook" and started putting arrows in the target. the moral of the story is dont assume someone cant do something just because they have different challenges than you do. good hunting, I know you will succeed

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
with an attitude like that you will be breaking knocks in now time.

There is a guy at our club here that is missing the majority of his bow hand. He shoots with a sling and does very well.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©