3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Want to learn how to build strings.  (Read 457 times)

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
Want to learn how to build strings.
« on: January 19, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
I am interested in learning how to build strings for personal use. Unfortunately, I am ignorant in all aspects of string building. I am specifically interested in building 6, 8, and 10 strand Fast Flight strings. I would also need to learn how to serve.

Can anyone steer me towards a website or literature that offers detailed instruction, including techniques, jigs required, and material uses?

Thanks in advance,

Dusty

Offline James Oertel

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Want to learn how to build strings.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
three rivers archery ,has a couple dvd's that explain the process.you can find there web in the sponsor list.  also the are a few short films on youtube
life is too short,enjoy it !!!

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
Get some artificial sinew from 3rivers to practice on.  It's $8 and each strand is good up to 14# of draw weight.  Then when you get the hang of it get some 8125.  I think there's some tutorials here on tradgang.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
We was all ignorant once till we decided this was another thing we wanted to learn to do.Good thing with internet and the computer age that learning process can be shortened. Theres a great thread in the "How to" forum right here on Tradgang for making endless loop strings which I prefer and make for myself.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I must have skimmed right past the string building in the "How to" section. To further exhibit my lack of string knowledge, what is endless loop? I have seen these referenced here and have never understood exactly what they are.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
I learned how to build flemish strings just a couple weeks ago from a website called Poorfolkbows.com. Sam Harper does excellent build alongs. My strings now look quite good and work even better.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
save time, frustration, and perhaps money, too - get chad's "doin' the twist" dvd for crafting both flemish and endless bowstrings.

http://www.recurves.com/dvds.html
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
Get the DVD "Doin' the Twist".  I'd suggest B50 for practicing.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline rickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
Endless strings are one continuous strand wound around 2 distant points, with served end loops and center serving. Flemish strings are a number of individual strands in separate bundles. Rick.

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Thanks again guys. I'll check out all the references you all have listed.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
flemish strings are built 'in the air' by twisting bundles of string fiber together and braiding the unserved string loops.

advantage is that no real jigs are needed, disadvantage is that it can be difficult to accurately create, and repeat, a specific string length.

endless strings are built on a jig, by spinning a continuous fiber strand around two posts, the string loops are served close.

advantage is that is easy to create, and recreate, specific length bowstrings, disadvantage is that a big string jig is required.

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up Rob. Is there a performance advantage to one or the other? Or is it so close that I would never notice?

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dusty Nethery:
Thanks for clearing that up Rob. Is there a performance advantage to one or the other? Or is it so close that I would never notice?
both string types will get the job done for ya, whether hunting, roving, popping paper or punching foamies.  it all just comes down to a matter of aesthetic, subjective preference.

what's of more importance, imo, is the string fiber used and how much of it.  if yer bow can handle modern string fiber, i'd advise just doing so.  or, do some testing of dacron first, then an hmpe fiber string.  lastly, if hmpe is yer string type choice, do try out less strands ('skinny string') and see if there's a less noise advantage for ya.

lastly, it's all good - do whatever works best for ya, there's really no right or wrong string type or string fiber.

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
I am currently using a fast flight string. I was referring to a performance difference between endless loop and flemish twist.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©