3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fiberglass Arrows  (Read 822 times)

Offline Black Gold

• Trad Bowhunter
Fiberglass Arrows
« on: April 16, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
Heard a few mention shooting fiberglass arrows.  Anyone here shoot them for hunting other than bowfishing?  Where do you get quality fiberglass shafts?  How does fiberglass hold up as far as straightness goes?
Cody Weiser

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fiberglass Arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
Fiberglass arrows were common about 30 years ago, but I don't know of anyone making them anymore. They were hollow tubes like today's carbons, not the fishing arrows you are familiar with.

You may find some old stock from time to time, but most of them are gone. I like them, and we used to say that they were either straight or broken.

Check with Foxfire Archery, they may have some old stock.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
In the days of past, other than solid fish arrows. I don't think anyone makes them anymore. I did just buy a 1/2dz Shakespeare Rifled fiberglas shafts off from (it). Only because they where wearing Pearson Deadheads!    :thumbsup:    And I had to have those to try! They are neat looking shafts just like your old Wonder Rod fly rod! The shafts are in great shape just have'nt had a chance to send them down range or anything else. I can't imagine them holding up very well. Although I did have some old Glasflex shafts 25 years ago that where pretty tough. Theres still one or two in one of my old quivers. Better go stumpen with them!

Brent
Then again I've been wrong before!

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
I have never used the old tubular ones (before my time), but I love hunting with the solid fiberglass shafts. Love all that extra weight...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Black Gold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
Bowspirit,

Would you give me details on the solid fiberglass shafts...where do you get yours?, how straight do they hold, what weights are they?
Cody Weiser

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
foxfire archery...has some fiberglass arrows.. I believe they are the hollow type.. and priced good....
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
If I were to guess the weight (sorry, no scale), I'd be confident in saying that they're in excess of 1,000 grains.
You can buy them from stores that sell bowfishing shaft materials, or do what I do, and buy fiberglass poles of the same (5/16") diameter and cut em to length.
For some reason, some of the poles of been getting recently are none too straight. But simple culling gets rid of that problem. If they're straight when you get em, they're like carbon or aluminum: they stay that way...

And about the ones from Foxfire...I think they only go up to a #47 spine...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Black Gold - It doesn't matter if solid fiberglass shafts are straight.  They are made primarily for shooting fish and weigh about 1500 grains.  Tubular fiberglass is a whole nother thing.  They are straight, relatively light and make great hunting shafts.  However they are no long produced....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Black Gold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »
Why wouldn't it matter if solid fiberglass shafts were straight???
Cody Weiser

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »
Black Gold

About the only people shooting 1000 gr plus arrows are shooting 100-150lb bows at elephants. Or fish at short range through water.

Brent

Then again they will have a smack factor on piggys at short range!  :bigsmyl:

Offline Black Gold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
Thanks Hormoan....Just trying to learn as much as I can.
Cody Weiser

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
I will agree, Black Gold, there is a LOT of work involved in shooting arrows that heavy. I think they make great small game arrows, but you have to constantly practice with them. I just use them because they usually spine just right for my bow, and can stand up to alot of abuse...
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©