3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: So many pigs, so little time!  (Read 857 times)

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
So many pigs, so little time!
« on: January 21, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
Well January 10th I picked up my friend Richie and headed to JFK airport on Long Island. We were flying Jetblue down to orlando for our annual pig hunt. Three of my other friends were flying out of islip on Southwest and we touched base with them via cell phone. We were all psyched to get there and try for some pigs and we were a little worried about the cold weather down there. In the past with cold weather the pigs wouldn't move much in the morning but the evening hunts were fine.

We get to JFK and everything goes smooth until we get to the gate. Our flight is delayed since the Flight Attendant just broke her finger. Our 9:30am flight is now an 11:00am flight. Still time to make the evening hunt though. We board at 10:30am and they tell us the bathroom water line is frozen and they are going to fix it. Well an hour goes by and they decide to take off with only one bathroom. Then the engine won't start and they get us off the flight at 1:00pm to see if they can fix. I'm figuring if we can get down to orlando by 4:00pm we can still do a little stalking by the rye fields or stalk up to a feeder maybe. We try to change flights but they tell us the flight is cancelled and we are all on the 4:00pm flight and go to gate 2. At this point all i want to do is get down there and be ready for tomorrow morning. Well we finally get on a 6:00pm flight and make it to orlando at 9:30pm and the ranch at 11:00pm.

We meet up with my other friends and they are really stoked. The hogs are plentiful on the 25,000 acre working cattle ranch. It isa free range fair chase operation where you hunt on feeders, corn thrown on the ground, spot and stalking the fields and property and with dogs sometimes if things are slow. Apparently with the cold weather and only a modest acorn crop the hogs are pretty hungry. The rye grass hasn't come up yet so the hogs are out searching for food early. We are up at 5:00am and ready by 6:00am for the guides to show up. Hoppy ( the owner) and Pat Marino ( from Heritage prints fame ) come in and we catch up a little on the past year.

We are ready to go and the drop me off at a home made ground blind next to a feeder and a swampy area. I've hunted out of a stand at this spot before but the ground blind looks great. It is just a peice of black material set up around chest high. A little high for me being vertically challenged but the shots will be around 15 yards or less if i hold out. Well i hear pigs and see a couple that come into the feeder but I am holding out for them to come over to where the corn is by the ground blind. It is about a 25 yard shot to the feeder and i am not going to take that far a shot on the small killzone of a hog if I don't have to. Unfortunately the wind swirls a little and they are out of there. I'm freezing at this point since it was 29 degrees when we left at 6:15am and now at around 7:30am it is maybe 35 degrees. I had checked weather.com and they called for temps in the low 40's so i didn't bring real warm clothers just a sweatshirt and some regular hunting pants. Thankfully camo wasn't critical so i just put on a bunch of layers under my black muzzy sweatshirt. Pat come by and picks me up at 10:00am and tells me that the guys had some action but nobody had gotten a pig.  We grab some breakfast and then we are out back shooting our bows.

I'm shooting a 55lb Pamer single carbon recurve with 55/75 goldtips with 50gr brass inserts and 200gr 2 blade muzzy phantoms. I'm looking forward to see how the extreme FOC arrows work on the hogs. I'm shooting good and the arrows are flying perfect so i am ready to go. At 3:30pm they drop me off at the same ground blind and i settle in for the wait for the feeder to go off at 5:00pm and ring the dinner bell. At around 4:30pm i hear a hog moving in the palmettos to my left then he busts out of them, runs by the feeder and into the swamp across the dirt road. I'm thinking, did he just run by to see if any corn was out yet? He looked like a nice boar in the 100 to 130lb range.

At 5:00pm the feeder goes off and about 15 minutes later i hear some hogs coming from the swampy area across the road. About 5 nice size meat hogs come running into the feeder. They are all about 80 to 100lbs and am a happy hunter. The first one that gives me an open shot I'm shooting. Then I hear more pigs and another 8 pigs come into the feeder and come over to where I am and start sucking up the corn. The problem is that there are to many and moving like crazy chomping the corn. most of the time they are facing the blind but when The turn broad side it seems there is alwaysa hog behind them too. I don't want to take a chance of shootingthrough one hog and hitting another even if it is a slim chance with my setup so i wait. They are nervousand have run off a few times but have come back each time. A big sow is causing problems biting the other hogs, she is about 140lbs so when she starts to turn broadside I'm ready... then she bolts for some reason. Well a deer was walking down the road and scared them. Well they come back after a minute and are all bunched up again.

At this point it is around 6:00pm with still plenty enough light to shoot but i figure i probably only have 15 minutes left at the most. Lucky for me the boar i saw earlier comes running in and jabs a buch of pigs and chases away the deer so he can have the corn for himself. He is at 15 yards with no pigs around him  and starting to turn broadside and I am drawing at the same time.I'm at anchor just as he turns broadside, I pick the spot 1/3 up his body right up the leg and crack the arrow is in him about 1" to 2" above where I was looking. The boar takes off across the road to the swampy area with the other hogs. I was filming so i rewind thetape to see the shot and realize I shot the boar just before he would step into the frame so i have a good laugh but I can see the hog run off and the arrow looks good as far as placement and penetration. I get out of the blind and mark the trail the boar took and see blood.

About 15 minutes later it is dark and Hoppy comes to pick me up. I tell him the story and we decide to give my boar a little time and go pick up my friend. my friend Tommy scored on a nice big boar with his compound and made a perfect heart shot and the hog was down in 40 yards. we load up the hog into the pickup and head to my friend richies stand. Ricchie says he missed a big sow but shot a small hog and thinks he sw it go down in the grass. We walk over to where he thought it went down and there it is. He hit it too far back but got the main artery running along the back and the hog went down in 30 yards.

It isabout a hour now since i hit my hog so we start blood trailing with our flashlights. My hog is running based on the tracks but the bloodtrail is good. He is on a main trail so we are moving pretty fast and find my part of my arrow about 60 yards in a small clearing. I'm thinking the hog must have fallen here to break the arrow so where is he....and there he is about ten yards away by a palm tree. The arrow went thorough both lungs, a little high and penetrated through both shields and was sticking out the other side about two inches. yeas, the muzzy phamtoms and extreme foc came through. Unfortunately I didn't bring my digital camera and hoppy threw out his back helping me get him in thetruck so below is the only picture i have. I wanted to get another picture at the skinning shed but the other guide didn't realize it and had the hog quatered before I got there with my camera. Later tonight i will post about day two.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: So many pigs, so little time!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Glad things turned around for you.

Good times  :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
Glad dit worked out!Thanks for sharing.sounds like you had a great time in the end.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
congrats that was an awesome hunt considering the bad start.   :clapper:

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Ryan High

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
Great story. Sounds like a blast.

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
Ditto on Ryan's post. Good job
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
Good Story,  :notworthy:
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
Good for you buddy...congrats!  I miss Florida    :(
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Good stuff here Jeff! Thanks for the story. How about some bow info?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Troy spear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
Wow  !! Bacon for everyone !!!

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
I'm shooting a 55lb Palmer single carbon recurve with 55/75 goldtips with 50gr brass inserts and 200gr 2 blade muzzy phantoms.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Great story- i want to do that someday but I want to try to spot and stalk one....I have a sister that lives in florida and I want to drive my bike down there...maybe this summer.

I can take my bow and my flyrods....

Jer bear

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
:campfire:    :clapper:
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Looking good!

Offline Quinn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 02:25:00 AM »
Which makes me wonder why I keep hearing about Florida boys headin' up to Georgia to hunt ?????
"If you put the federal government in charge of the  Sahara Desert , in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."   ~ Milton Friedman

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 05:46:00 AM »
thats a lotta bbq  :thumbsup:
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
Day 2

Up at 5 again and it is 26 degrees out this morning but will be sunny as well. Hoppy and pat come by at 6am  and we decide who is going where. I'm going to spot and stalk with Hoppy and Tommy is going to tag along since he got a big sow the evening he arrived and then the nice boar last night. A couple of guysare going on stand and my friend Roger will go stalking with Pat. We ecide to drive way over to the other side of the ranch where Hoppy's father did a contreolled burn yesterday. This cold weather and wet conditions is perfect for them to finally burn down some brush after not being able to for a few years.

We head to the crooked oaks stand to see if the fire came through and burnt it up. Also we can stalk up to the feeder there. Well the stand was an oasis around the burn that was a few miles long. It was pretty cool that the brush was burned but the trees where fine. The hogs were close but were all small 40 pounders. We decide to go check out another stand to see if it made it too and it is by some oak trees the hogs are hitting. As we are driving there some nice 80lb meat hogs cross the road and we are in business.

The group consists of two nice big 90lbs sows a couple of shoats ( small boars ) and some sows with piglets. We play the wind and make a circle to get well ahead of them. As we are waiting we see one about 65 yards away heading through an area with some oaks and palmetto bunches but clear enough to stalk with some knee high grass. We got into the bunch of them but the sows with piglets were the only shots and I didn't wantto shoot them. Finally one of the small boars is turning broadside but one of the piglets is squeeling at me. So they move off slowly. We are playing cat and mouse now for another 100 yards since we can't let one of the hogs cut are wind while the group is holding back. It was a great time but frustrating. We have to hold back or we will get busted by a straggler so we let them get ahead and try to cut them off again.

One of the nice sows is hanging back now and we put a stalk on her as the others are feeding away. She passes into a small oak grove and is rooting and looking away. I put an oak tree to block me from her view and move 20 yards to cutthe distance down to 15 yards I can see her a little bit though some palmettos around the oak and she looks like she is till rooting away like she was 20 seconds ago since i lean out from the oak drawing my bow ...and she is now rooting looking right at me and picks up the movement and busts out of there! So close! It was a lot of fun though even though I didn't get a shot. Tommy had a real blast too since this was the first time he had done any spot and stalk.  

All told the stalk was close to two hours and 400 yards. It was great. We head back to the ranch to see how the other guys did. Not much action because of the cold and know other pigs down.

More practice out back and we take aride to walmart to pick up a cooler. I think back to when we first came here in 2003 and jetblue let you bring 3 bags, 70lbs each for free. Now it is one bag 50lbs for free.

Around 3:30pm we head out for the evening hunt. Hoppy my friend Roger and I head to Hoppy's father in laws ranch that is about a 1/2 hour away. It isa cattle ranch that has a ton of turkeys, deer and some nice hogs usually. The hogs have been hitting hard his steer feeders and he wants us to knock down the population since the hogs are eating around $50 - $60 of cattle food each week. He tells Hoppy, now just don't shoot one of them get as many as you can. The steer feeders look like a small tanker truck without the cab. We climb up on the galvanized feedser and we are standing on a ledge that is on each side about 3 1/2 feet from the top and we are 10 feet off the ground. We are in a field about 125 yards from some reall thick stuff. As we are up ther we see some deer about 200 yards away...and one of them is a big 8 pt that would score in the high 120's or low 130's. What a beauty. Well around 4:00pm here come the hogs. Roger is one one side of the feeder and I am on the other. The steers are walking around so we have to be very careful with them since the bill would be big if we hit one of them. LOL  One other thing, while the steers are feeding under us the tend to smack ther heads and horns to get more feed to fall down. This shakes the feeder like you can't believe and makes a loud gonnnnggggggg. The problem was that the hogs come straight in so who had no shot and you were skylighted to boot. Hoppy joked that next time we willwear galvanized camo. On a serious not next time i will wear light blue jeans and a white shirt though and that would definitely help. Well I want Roger to get a hog so i tell him he is up first. He is on the other side of the feeder and a nice big sow is coming in. Well she comes straight in and he has no shot. Now a group of 6 hogs is coming in so we are waiting for them to come in and start feeding. All this time the steers are banging the feeder about once a minute. The big sow is at theend of the feeder and I have a perfect slightly quartering away shot of 15 yards while the sow iswatching another group come walking in. I pass on the shot since i want Roger to get a hog. Sure enough the sow turns to come back in and Roger nails her perfectly. The hog turnsand runs for the thick stuff and we can see the blood pouring out of here. She makes it about 85 yards and that is it.

A little while later out comes a big group of hogs from the woods. A monster boar is there and he is over 200lbs with a head like a cinder block with tusks. Three more nice boars come out also in the 175lb range and a buch of nice hogs in the 100 to 150lb range. They are all fat on steer feed. Since they are so well fed they are in no rush to come in to feed but they come slowly none the less. As before they can see us skylighted but don't know what we are and are just cautious. Well I'm tryingto get a shot for 15 minutes and just couldn't get lucky. They always were facing me or a steer was in the way or spooking. Finally a nice sow starts walking to the other side of the feeder and I rush my shot and hit her a little to far back but she was quartering away. Well she runs and then starts to circle to go back to the thick stuff and i wasable to quickly get another arrow and hit her as she was moving at about 35 yards. The second shot is by the first and I can see she is hurt. She runs about 100 yards and beds down before she can get to the cover. I figure that it she is going to die right there. Well here comes one of the boars and tries to breed her, I hear he squel and she gets up and runs the 50 yards to thethick stuff on the mine trail.

By now it is getting dark fast. At this point we decide to give my sow a little time and check in with the other guys while it is dark now. I check my phone and I havea message from tommy and he got turned around as he waswalking out to the pick up point and is lost. Well we call him back and Hoppy talks him out to where Pat can pick him up. Tonight wasa good night and they have pigs down. At this point it has been about 45 minutes from when i hit my hog so we decide to get Rogers hog and then look for blood sign. Rogers shot was indeed perfect and I quickly find my hogs blood trail. I follow the trail to where she entered the thick stuff to mark it off for later and there she is, dead just inside thethick stuff right on the trail. I've seen thisa lot with hogs, it seems they will run a ll out to make it to cover and then die just inside cover like they relax and just die after pushing so hard. My shot was better then i thought and got liver and maybe one lung. I'll post pictures tonight when my internet service comes back on.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©