3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: So many pigs, so little time!  (Read 856 times)

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: So many pigs, so little time!
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
man, what a fun time!! sounds like an awesome place to hunt!!  :clapper:  

gaff
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
Now that sounds like a great hunt! Congrats!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
Hmmmm. Take the kids to Disney and get in on a hog hunt!  Sounds awesome!
What is the name of the ranch?
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
Mint, you're killing me.  My buddies, my son, and I will be at Hoppy's place in a couple of weeks.  We go down every year.  I can hardly wait now after your stories.  Great time, huh?
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
Dave, this year was just something else. I've been going every year since 2003 and we have always had a blast but this year pigs were everywhere and all good sized to boot. This year Pat and Hoppy set up ground blinds using a black fabric material. When i was wearing my black sweatshirt the pigs couldn't pick me up. He also set up a new stand since the potato beds stand is unusable since they are harvesting palm trees. The new stand has got some big pigs coming to it. Just ask him for the stand where Tommy got lost.  LOL
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
Y'all eat chitlin's up there?  :bigsmyl:
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Here are the hogs we got off the steer feeder

My friend Roger and his big sow

And the sow I got.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
Excellent bud!  Congrats again    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Day 3

Up at five and out by six. Roger, Hoppy and I plan on going stalking and I am going to film roger. We head out to stalk up to feeder to see if we can get a hog or two. Well the hogs are there, a real nice boar and nice sow too. The sow is very nervous and for some reason bolts out of there before we can get a shot. Normally the boar would bolt too but this guy stayed around rooting. It was a 20 yard shot so Roger wanted to wait until he moved closer but it was not to be. The boar moved off before he could get a shot. We drive to another feeder to see ifthere is any activity and sure enough there are 3 hogs rooting around. This is a new feeder they just put in and don't have a stand or blind set up yet. There are plenty of palmettos around the feeder so we are able to get to 20 yards but there isn't a shot since it is thick. Roger and hoppy swing around to the rightto get a shot while I move forward with the camera to within 15 yards and the hogs are behind the palmattos under the feeder but it clear to the left and wouldn't you know it two of the hogs move to left and it is a clear shot. Roger is able to shoot over the palmattos though but he shoots high and has a complete miss. The hogs bust out of there and are gone. Here are some pictures that I got out stalking.

hog bed

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
Thanks Curt, Florida hog hunting sure is fun.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
Good job Mint. Finish arrow at 35 yards running. Now that's shootin bub. Did you guys put some chops on the grill?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 11:22:00 PM »
Day 3 Evening

On the morning hunt my friend richie got another hog and my friend Eddie took a nice sow too. I don't have there pictures though.

They opt for stands since ther have been some nice boars coming into the stands while Roger is going to go stalking with pat and hoppy wants me to try out a new ground blind with him on the far side of the property in a field where they hunt deer.

There is a little oasis of a couple of oaks, a few palm trees and palmettos out in the middle of the field. Sure enough there are three nice hogs rooting around where they throw the corn out. We decide to push some cattle in the field over to them to scare them away so we can get set up. It works and we are hoping they will come back.

About an hour later a different group starts to come in across the field. They are all nice hogs in the 100lb range but one sow is pushing 140 - 150lbs. She is really fat. i'm shooting behind a blind made up of some black cloth and there is a over hanging oak as a canopy that stretches out over where the hogswill be feeding 10 to 15 yards away. The hogs come in and are nervous just moving all over the place and bunching up. I'm trying to draw but the are seeing me and bolting out of there. Unfortunately the over hanging aok is not keeping me from being skylighted and i tell hoppy he needs to put up so more cloth higher up just leaving a shooting window. He agrees and says don't I know i'm the guinea pig. we have a good laugh and the hogs are coming back in and i am crouched down and 5 yards back of the blind. The big sow finally turns broadside after 15 minutes and i rise up as I am drawing and I pick aspot right up the leg and shoot right over her giving her a haircut. I couldn't believe it since i was really burning a hole in her side but I guess my mind was so tricked by the blind and the over hanging oak branch that i thought the hog was farther away. I should have just aimed right at the spot since she was only ten yards away. I was humbled for sure.

That was it for hogs that night but it wasa great time. As we hear back we learn that tommy ended up getting a nice meat sow and my friend Eddie got another sow too.  

4th day, last morning hunt since we have to leave at 12:00 noon.

I decide to hunt and so does Richie and Roger. They opt to go stalking with hoppy and they put me on the bird feeder stand hunting out of a ladder stand. it is called the bird feeder stand since a lot of cardinals come in to feed. This is the stand I got my first ever hog out of in 2003. A nice boar that i have a shoulder mount of in my home office.

Well this is a real thick area pretty close to camp that is just  sea of palmettos other then the dirt road the feeder is on. The ladder stand is in a live oak tree and you are so blended in you can do jumping jacks in the stand and not get spotted. The stand is made from tubular aluminum and right off I have a problem with my camera and can't get it real secure with the bracket. I've got a new remote that has a six inch wire attaching it to the camera that is clipped to my jacket that i am trying out for the first time.

Well the feeder goes off at 7:00am and here come the hogs a short time later. First one, then two, then three and they keep coming out of the palmettos like you can't believe just going crazy on the corn. there are 15 of them and all about 100 lbs but there are two really nice sows. Well I am trying to get one to turn braodside while the camera is on  the shot but the short cable of theremote keeps moving the camera or other hogs go behind the hog i want to shoot spoiling the shot.

At this point i take off the remote and just set up the camera shot on a pot and wait for hogs to come into the frame. Evertime one turns broadside and i start to draw they turn the other way since they are trying to get all the corn they can get. I figure i have to wait until the frenzy calms down and the corn starts getting less. About 10 minutes and the big sow turns broadside and i get the cmaera on her and then she turns slightly quartering away and I am at anchor pick a spot and the arrow hits exactly at the spot i was aiming at.

Unfortunately I went to deer hunting mode and hit her right behind the shoulder and not up the leg. I got good penetration and the the arrow was buried almost to the flethching. I hear them in the palmettos run off and then veer left to where some oaks are. It is so thick you cannot see them at all. I wait about 45 minutes and then walk back to camp to see if anyone can blood trail with me. Sure enough pat isther as well as my friend Tommy and eddie. I show them the shot on the TV and Pat wants to go right now but i convince him to give it another 1/2 hour just in case.

I start the blood trail and it isa good one but it is so thick we are following tunnels in the palmettos. She changes direction a few times and i know she must have travelled with the other group of hogs and this is whaT I was afraid of. Normally a hog with a hit like mine would bed down pretty quick and we would find her dead in her bed but when the follow another group the just keep going. We are about 75 yards in and we lose the trail for a minute but i find some drops after a little clearing on thetrail to the left. We go a little further and i find my arrow and it has a lot of blood but also some gut. Looks like i hit gut and liver. We move alittle more and i see three buzzards that were in a tree take off. We are at  a knee high grassy are about a 20 yard circle that Pat says they bed in. We move casually just in case my hog might still be alive and ther she is on the other side of the small clearing....stone colddead in her bed. It seems the buzzards must have smelled her and were waiting in the trees to make sure. The hit did get gut but got liver to and she looks like she expired preety quick after she made itto the bed. Here is the picture at her bed and then after we dragged her out.

Now the challenge was to get all the meat home. Lucky for me my friend eddie had some room in the coller and I had deboned the other hogs the previous day. I also carried everything back except my bow and arrow in my carryon so I could load up my other checked bag with the frozen shoulders of the previous hogs. Hope you enjoyed the story. I decided to post since i really enjoy rerading everyones else's hunt a longs.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
"Good job Mint. Finish arrow at 35 yards running. Now that's shootin bub. Did you guys put some chops on the grill?"

Believe me, that was pure luck. No chops yet but I made the boar and the smaller sows front shoulders into andouille, hot italian and sweet italian sausage. Next saturday I'll be making a ham on the smoker.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
Great job, glad you hung in there. Appears it all turned out good. I can speak volumes about the airlines delays, glad it didn't ruin the hunt.
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 06:51:00 AM »
Thank you for "deciding to post".....that's what TG is all about my friend!

Congrats again     :clapper:

See ya in August...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
Mint I been going to Osceola Outfitters for about 12 years on and off , Great place to hunt, lots of game and just a great place to get rid of the northern blahhhs this time of year. I will be going down in February , hope all the hogs are still there   :)   Last time we were down the place was still infested with pigs.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
Jack, they won't "all" be there.  Jimmy and the rest of us will hopefully bring a few back home with us the week before you go   :biglaugh:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2010, 07:22:00 AM »
Too deadly, fellows! A grand hunt!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©