3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woodsman Look Alike  (Read 850 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woodsman Look Alike
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
Yeah Rob....that's what I killed that Blockhead with down at Marty's.

After that kill....I done loaded up....fletching up a dozen arrows just like that one with the No Mercy 4 Blades for the St Judes back at Marty's next month.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
Heck if I know Jason...soon as I saw they were out, I just ordered a dozen from BraveHeart and didn't even ask for a price.    ;)    

Heck if I can remember what I paid for them....but I done ordered another dozen as well, and didn't ask either.  I'll have to go back and look at me CC statement.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
I pounced on this post and...uggg...I'm still waiting for an original version in a heavier weight at an "original" price point.  I've killed a bunch of deer and small game with the original 125 grn Woodsman and always recovered a perfect head, needle tip and all.  I somewhat reluctantly switched to 190 Grizzly's, though, just to get more weight.  I get that these are machined, but that just seems like overkill.  I could probably buy machined washers, too, but...why?  (Just sort of an economist-principle thing with me.)

Offline 8888blk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
I've read alot about Woodsman Elites and origional WW bending tips, (and I did file the needle point off) but the reason I quit shooting them was my 1st shot passed thru a doe then hit a small rock that literaly sheered the first 1/4in. off the point, as smooth as a band saw would have! 2nd shot hit buck high between shoulderblades on a 3yd. shot then lodged in sternum resulting in bent shaft where it screws in. No BH is perfect but I just "feel" more confident with a solid thick 4 blade. I killed 3 deer with the same Steelforce Phathead 190 after I switched back.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
Man I've also killed a bunch of stuff with the originals since they came out and can only remember one that thr tip curled on a critter. But that was before I started to modify it a bit.

I do really like the non-vented heads that VPA is making now....I killed a coyote with a 1 1/4" 250 gr. non-vented screw on last fall.  Also 4 hogs now with the 160 glue-on, non-vented mounted on 125gr steel adapters....

On this hog I shot a little high out of a tree stand and completely embedded the head in spinal vertebrae......
•  

I needed the bh(didn't bring enough) so I carefully worked it out of the bone with some careful sawing...and it was unscathed!
•  

Screwed it into another arrow and killed this hog with it the next day. Quartering away, hit the inside of the off shoulder....
•  

Again it came out fine and is ready to kill more hogs next month.  Like I said, I'm really impressed with the VPA's. But I still wouldn't hesitate a second to use an original WW on about anything that walks. They'll be in my quiver as well!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Chad Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
I too have had the originals collapse, and bend up even with the tip modified.
How I love Colorado!

Offline JMartin

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Hmmmmm, very interesting. I broke the tip plumb off a new Elite. Misse a turkey, hit a chunking size rock.

Offline grizzlyxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
I snip the pointed tip with wire cutters and then file sharpen.  Never had one bend.  Always good blood trails. The new nonvented heads look good but I have a pile of the old ones, no complaints.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
Oh Rob...here they are.  The lean green penetration machine from Zwickey.

"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
I buried an Elite up to the shaft in a deers head this year, (the shaft hit a small limb on a quartering away shot and sailed high).  Put a double lung pass thru with the second shot to finish him.  The broadhead snapped off at the threads, but when I got the broadhead out of the skull it was completely unharmed other than the shaft being snapped off.  Now I can't use it but for a head to be buried in a 200 lb deer's skull and be unharmed sold me.  No broadhead would have not snapped off at the shaft with the arrow sticking out hitting trees.  I will use the 250 grain elites untill they quit making them.  Solid broadheads would have to be tougher than vented ones so there is no doubt in my mind that the solid elites or vpa terminators are tougher than the original vented woodsmans.  Not to mention hasn't a broadhead done it's job when it kills an animal.  I figure every kill I get after the first one is a bonus.  We spend thousands on bows and go cheap on the business end.    ;)
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by SlowBowinMO:
Oh Rob...here they are.  The lean green penetration machine from Zwickey.

mmmmmm, looks killer good.      

you got an incoming order!     :wavey:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Zwickeys are hard to beat  :)

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
I used the Elite this year to take my deer. Initial shot was high, burying into the spine. The follow-up, however, was a passthrough that double lunged him. That one struck a rock on his path out the other side; only minor tip damage.

I'm sold...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by HATCHCHASER:
We spend thousands on bows and go cheap on the business end.     ;)  
I've noticed that too, Hatch.  Any stick do for bow; The arrow and broadhead are the important part.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
I've been wondering since I first saw them in the 3R catalog: what's the difference between the new Zwickey and the old ones?  What makes them so much better?

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Hmm... I might need to get some of those new zwickey no mercy in the four bld. I still haven't quite gotten the handle on sharpening them. I like the way those zwickeys with the bleeders fly compared to most of the three blade broadheads I have used.

Having that bleeder sit farther forward in relation to the back edge of the blade looks like a killer.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
Lost a 150" buck on what should have been a double lung shot at 18 steps with a bow setup that already had 5 complete pass-throughs. almost no penetration, almost certain a bent tip on near side rib. Original woodsman with needle tip.  The only needle tip in the quiver.  Never thought that would happen on a deer that would dress 130 #. I should have known better. un-needle the tip and it is a great head.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
"Not to mention hasn't a broadhead done it's job when it kills an animal. I figure every kill I get after the first one is a bonus. We spend thousands on bows and go cheap on the business end."

I ditto what HATCHCHASER wrote above.

I love three blade heads like the older style WW, and now the new VPA's as well. But dang it Terry... a 4 blade Zwickey! I love the look of that head! Might have to foot up some green crested arras just for them!

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
I just wish STOS would make a 4 Blade like that as well. That would be a match made in heaven... or hell if your a critter down range!

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kevin Bahr:
I've been wondering since I first saw them in the 3R catalog: what's the difference between the new Zwickey and the old ones?  What makes them so much better?
If you're asking about the No Mercy versus the Eskimo or Delta, the difference is only geometry. The No Mercy is basically a slimmed version of the Delta (the original prototypes were exactly that).

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©